Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, scullion44 said:

Three Nigerian strikers have dropped out of Afcon so far. Dennis, Osihmen, now Ighalo. I wonder if Ugbo would have gotten a callup now considering that.

I am not sure I give Herdman credit for the full 3D chess gambit, but capping him in advance if AFCON is looking like an increasingly smart move.  

4 hours ago, scullion44 said:

Three Nigerian strikers have dropped out of Afcon so far. Dennis, Osihmen, now Ighalo. I wonder if Ugbo would have gotten a callup now considering that.

Was reported he was about to pick Nigeria until that rule change when Canada came into play. It is more he chose us over whether Nigeria would have called, they definitely wanted him. 

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned in the weekly roundup, Ugbo started against Beerschot and played 88 minutes. Genk won 4-1, but Ugbo never got on the scoresheet.

Unfortunately his replacement scored in the 90th minute. Never saw the match, but doesn't seem like a great look. He'll need to be amongst the goals more often than not, because Paul Onuachu will eventually return. Now is the time for Ugbo to stake his claim. 

33 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

If he gets to play my gut feeling is he'll be our scoring star this window of the Otto (Corbo I also have a good feeling for).

He needs it, his scoring record has been abysmal in recent months, especially with his minutes going up.

33 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Interesting discussion in this Twitter thread which I whole-heartedly agree with. Ugbo is being severely under-utilized imo.

With us??  So....we go with David/Larin and Cav off the bench for the first match and Ugbo is under utilized??  What did you expect him to play in every game??

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

With us??  So....we go with David/Larin and Cav off the bench for the first match and Ugbo is under utilized??  What did you expect him to play in every game??

Ugbo > Cavallini

We also saw Ugbo for ~5 minutes in the 3 games he's been with the team for. That's being under-utilized yes.

Edited by Ally McCoist

1 minute ago, Ally McCoist said:

Ugbo > Cavallini

We also saw Ugbo for ~5 minutes in the 3 games he's been with the team for. That's being under-utilized yes.

Who is he again??  This is second camp??  Are we sure he knows the names of his team mates yet??  I thought we were against parachuting guys in, and had to keep camps small and tight to build the brotherhood?  Geeshh, last window he got  a run out.  Maybe this window he gets a start, he's not going to leapfrog to the top and play in every game.   

Just now, Bison44 said:

Who is he again??  This is second camp??  Are we sure he knows the names of his team mates yet??  I thought we were against parachuting guys in, and had to keep camps small and tight to build the brotherhood?  Geeshh, last window he got  a run out.  Maybe this window he gets a start, he's not going to leapfrog to the top and play in every game.   

You make it sound like I said Ugbo should be our #1 striker. That's not what I'm saying. 

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

He didnt play in the first game this window and you said he is being underultized.  What did u expect??

Tbf he's the only striker we have in his mould and he seems like he'd bring the best out of our most talented player on the current roster in David. Maybe it's been tested in practice and hasn't worked out well but I'd want to see them together at least once this window.

Ugbo may be better than Cavallini. I don't think he's better at the role that Cavallini has been asked to play when called upon. There just simply aren't a lot of minutes available at the striker position when you already have Larin and David who have proven themselves, and when Buchanan or Davies tend to get rotated up top to support a lone striker late in games.

I'd like to see a David-Ugbo partnership for El Salvador. I wouldn't be surprised if David starts on the bench tomorrow.

Just now, masster said:

I was disappointed with Ugbo's lack of 'effort' (not sure if that is the right word) during his sub appearance tonight. When you are subbed in up top for the last 10 minutes of a game you are winning 1-0, I expect to see you RUN! Use those fresh legs. Cavallini may not give you speed, but he will give you effort.

I thought he was better after a few minutes but near the start he was pretty casual about getting to a ball and it let the US get there first and come at us again.   Like you said, it shouldn’t have happened. You have 10 minutes - you should be giving absolutely everything you have when you are out on the field (and given what was probably a pretty specific assignment).