OneSoccer

Foreen

On 11/19/2021 at 10:34 PM, gwsmith63 said:

I have to chime in here with my thoughts on some of the comments here over the last day or two. 

Having been born in Scotland and moving to Canada at the age of 13 I became a Canadian citizen when I was 19. I played football at Carleton University and since 1999 have had the privilege of commentating at local club level, high school, CIS, uSports (including 5 National Championships), Fury PDL, Fury NASL, Fury Women and now AtleticoOttawa  

I love both the Scottish and Canadian national teams which I’m sure many others do too  

I must admit the Brit bashing is really tough to read.  Might be time to step away for a while  

GWS

I am born in Scotland and only got my Canadian citizenship about 3 years ago. Spent most of my formative years here in Canada so I feel more Canadian. I am one that will criticise the need for commentators to have a British accent by some Canadian soccer fans.

I think we are lucky to have quality personalities like Kristian Jack and Oliver Platt in the Canadian soccer media world but I also dislike the automatic criticism of anybody who does not fit the template of the British commentator.

I'm British, but I don't think an accent is important at all.

At the same time, Canadian announcers have always been particularly controversial. Dobson (who I was find with), Rauter (who I find listening to, like fingernails on a chalkboard), Wheeler (who I think might make a better colour commentator - but at least not Rauter).

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Would feel kinda bizarre if the broadcast rights holders for the World Cup finals were on the outside looking in as Canada plays all those warm up friendlies in 2022. 

That is to say, should Canada qualify...

Depends on where the friendlies are played. In Canada, One Soccer would have the rights (and would likely be open to sharing with a TV network).

Outside of Canada the rights would be owned by the host nation, and would be fair game for anyone to pick up. I can see TSN outbidding everyone in that situation (like they did with the USA away game in September).

9 minutes ago, RS said:

... (like they did with the USA away game in September).

I've wondered about all the USA home games as One Soccer doesn't broadcast them either.  Does TSN have access to them (due to being joined at the hip with ESPN)?

Edited by Metro

Did anyone else feel like those west coast twitter guys came off so bad asking for more non TFC coverage? Like it's one thing to poke fun and ask for change in how OS covers VWFC and MTL but to constantly barrage the content people with insults and such is so immature.

Insulting people probably doesn't help your case if you want something to change.

10 hours ago, VinceA said:

Did anyone else feel like those west coast twitter guys came off so bad asking for more non TFC coverage? Like it's one thing to poke fun and ask for change in how OS covers VWFC and MTL but to constantly barrage the content people with insults and such is so immature.

Insulting people probably doesn't help your case if you want something to change.

I disagree.

Even the one One Soccer guy Armen admitted they have work to do.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

I disagree.

Even the one One Soccer guy Armen admitted they have work to do.

I don't disagree with the need to cover more of the west coast and less Ontario bias. I don't agree with the targeted attacks and hateful crap that gets thrown their way. That doesn't help anything.

9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I don't disagree with the need to cover more of the west coast and less Ontario bias. I don't agree with the targeted attacks and hateful crap that gets thrown their way. That doesn't help anything.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything that wasn't fair

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They did not put on the Forge press conference live, and PFC not at all. The KJ post-game interviews were tape delayed 10-15 minutes. It was good to show the celebration live, but they mismanaged the rest.

Adam and Iain were very dry and uninspired given it was a final. Hume can nitpick mid-season, on big occasions you need to adjust. 

Then they cut to a Forge legacy canned video, which suggests they had it scheduled for when Forge won the title. 

Their brains are out of order at OneSoccer. 

I saw a similar, shorter analysis about OneSoccer twitter's activity regarding the MLS sides. There was a two week or so stretch with no CFMTL or VWFC content but plenty of TFC. I think most of the clips were from their panel show. The panel show does feature discussion of the other teams, but this wasn't making it to twitter apparently.

Twitter is not real life, obviously, but still a problem.