OneSoccer

Foreen

I dropped One Soccer because they say I can't see Canada games, not being in Canada.

I think I did see the matches last November, but now I am not even sure any more--perhaps the games played in Canada? 

I watch via unofficial streams, which are easy to find, sometimes getting the OneSoccer call, often getting other calls (the one from Jamaica I got once, no matter). 

In any case, what I don't get: if I have zero options through other official methods to access Concacaf qualifying games, why should I be restricted, being a paying subscriber? 

For CPL basically, I am not watching. Since I follow Pacific mostly and the time difference is a killer, no matter, I put up with it. 

I see DAZN is going to offer MLS this year in Spain, just heard it announced yesterday, a few games each week. We had it a few years ago via Eurosport, but even then: rarely would they put games from the West Coast, as they tended to be matches they could show in and around midnight. Though I did see Caps a few times and enjoyed seeing and hearing the Curva Collective in full force from my living room. 

Since other people are complaining, let me pile on a bit. This past week they have been doing half hour episodes of OneSoccer Today and putting them on Youtube. Why can't they put their youtube content like that on their website/app as well? Even if it links to Youtube, let me find it when I am looking in the app! It's more annoying when they do this for live games than for a replay of their talk show, but still, it's annoying.

I also have to say, with the Roku app, they have categories of videos. There is a "CONCACAF Nations League" category and under it you can select any CPL team... which makes no sense (and kicks you out of the app if you select one). They also have a "Match Replays" section and have OneSoccer Today episodes put in there, which also makes no sense. They could also do with a search feature. They still have a long way to go to be good at the small stuff, which is actually big stuff.

With Fubo being a thing, I am for the first time thinking maybe I don't re-subscribe when my subscription ends.

• 2 weeks later...

US Soccer just signed a US$200 million 8 year deal with Turner Sports. This includes men & women friendlies, home WCQ, SheBelieves Cup & US Open Cup. Apparently, ESPN & Fox didn't bother bidding to retain their rights.

The US$25 million paid per year also implies national team matches accounted for about 25% of the previous combined US Soccer/MLS deal. This excludes any monies from US Soccer Spanish language rights as no announcement has been made about a new deal yet.

In comparison, Mediapro's deal was reported to be C$200 million for 10 years with CPL being included the main difference in terms of product inventory. 

US is also going the streaming route. Half the matches will only be on HBO Max. The other half will be on TNT or TBS and HBO Max. 

Warner was also touted as interested in a MLS deal. So, this may mean they may be out of the process. Apple is also reported as interested in the MLS package.

Edited by red card

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

MLS tv ratings are bad.

But I predict they will still sign a good contract because of the streaming content war in the US.

Weekday Champions League matches on CBS last week got 860k & 777k.

Opening MLS weekend got 436k, 190k & 174k on FOX, ESPN & FS1 - all lower than last year and 2020. Univsion/TUDN match got 344k which was up from last year.

On TSN, TFC got 154k and Caps got 68k. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say I am glad One Soccer has picked up Charlie O'Conner Clarke to balance out the mediocre white male quotas on the channel.

No, but seriously: if he actually had anything at all to say, I'd be fine with him or anyone else. Even an "amateur" like Josh at JJDTV is miles ahead of him. It just seems rather blatant, don't you think?

37 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Have to say I am glad One Soccer has picked up Charlie O'Conner Clarke to balance out the mediocre white male quotas on the channel.

No, but seriously: if he actually had anything at all to say, I'd be fine with him or anyone else. Even an "amateur" like Josh at JJDTV is miles ahead of him. It just seems rather blatant, don't you think?

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed.

Must be a nepotism hire

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They could have picked another CPL guy but they're all boring in tone and content provided. The CPL podcast is so dry & dull.

KJ is the exception but maybe he's letting his underlings take some of the workload and/or spotlight.

Charlie O'Conner Clarke has nothing to say, and seems to afraid to say even that. 

I mean, most people here read a post, and then an idea pops into your head, and you express something. With this guy you get the feeling he listens, and nothing pops into his head. Lately, he's done a touch better, sort of when a producer says "say something, dammit", and then you do.

In the last thing they did, he was even imitating Platt with his "yeah", then talk.

He doesn't seem to even have mastered the English language, the lexicon is about grade 6. 

Sort of pisses me off when there are so many men and women out there who could do it better, and probably applied, and were rejected--and now they have to watch that guy.

I knew that Mediapro Canada had been contracted out now and then to provide coverage of a few other sporting events/leagues (CEBL, OHL, etc.), but I didn't realize they did pre- and post-coverage for the Grey Cup and are lined up for the NHL Heritage Classic. Hopefully this trend continues and with more revenue, they can up their product with One Soccer. I'm happy that it's been slowly getting better with time (though still far from ideal), but at least things are going in the right direction. 

https://mediaprocanada.tv/en/news/MEDIAPRO_Canada_to_provide_production_mobile_unit_for_2022_Tim_Hortons_NHL_Heritage_Classic

I like COC personally, It's obvious this is all new to him (doing live camera work) but I like his writing and his takes I think he's one we'll appreciate the more seasoned he gets.

Wheeler on the other hand. Sheesh.

Alex has been a breath of fresh air and really, we need more diverse voices on this platform.

I'm a POC, but I don't mind too much when it comes to the faces I see on my screen if the content is good, but even I'm like damn can we get some colour going in this potato salad we call OneSoccer LOL

The daily show is overall better than their 2x weekly show.

The good is that the panelists are much more varied with people like Kloke, AGR, Kyle & Wilson rotating in and out. There is a dedicated women's football show on Tuesdays. Fridays are a 1 hour social media Q&As. Replays are available immediately and most watch it this way. Highest viewership was 8.1k while the low was 361.

The bad is no longer form interviews with special guests, no highlight videos and the usual issues of doing it via video vs in person.

Edited by red card

I am hoping the low production values and youtube broadcast are due to being out of season. I am hoping once the CPL season starts up again (or hopefully even during the WCQ window) they get back in the studio and do the show properly. I watched it religiously in the 2 a week version. The daily version I have watched probably about half of them. Good point from red card about more varied people on the show, but otherwise the production quality is much worse.