OneSoccer

Foreen

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, agreed. In previous years I have at time had to wait more than 24 hours for a game to become available. I had a soccer game to play at 10 ET last night, so I missed the last half hour of the Forge vs Santos game. By the time I was home and showered, around 11:30, the game was available so I could watch the rest of it. Well done OneSoccer! Eventually it would be great if they could get to the point where I could start watching a game from the beginning if I am late to it. For example, tonight I have a dilemma for the 7:30 PM game between Pacific and TFC. I'll be busy with my kids until about 8:15 PM. Do I join the game in progress then? Or wait until the game is available on replay to watch the whole thing? Especially since I don't really want another late night tonight, so might have to conclude the game tomorrow at some point even if the game is available quickly like it was last night. If I could start from the beginning of the game at 8:15, that would be perfect.

If you want...sign up for the free preview of Fubo TV and record the match using the PVR in your account. Then you will be able to start the game from the beginning at 8:15.

Related to the above problem. I just found out that the team I play on had their schedule changed such that I have a game starting at the same time as Canada vs Mexico! I don't have a PVR, so I don't think the Fubo TV option mentioned above will work for me. Luckily this game is also on Sportsnet, which I subscribe to, but like I said, I don't have a PVR. Are there any SportsnetNow users out there that can tell me if you can start a game from the beginning while the game is still in progress? Or at least, if replays are available right when the game ends? I'll try to check this stuff out with whatever is happening tonight, but I'm freaking out a bit at the moment. I'm not keen on ditching my teammates or on waiting until the next day to watch the game.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Related to the above problem. I just found out that the team I play on had their schedule changed such that I have a game starting at the same time as Canada vs Mexico! I don't have a PVR, so I don't think the Fubo TV option mentioned above will work for me. Luckily this game is also on Sportsnet, which I subscribe to, but like I said, I don't have a PVR. Are there any SportsnetNow users out there that can tell me if you can start a game from the beginning while the game is still in progress? Or at least, if replays are available right when the game ends? I'll try to check this stuff out with whatever is happening tonight, but I'm freaking out a bit at the moment. I'm not keen on ditching my teammates or on waiting until the next day to watch the game.

Apparently One Soccer has been getting better at providing replays.

How the hell do you have cable in 2021 but no PVR?

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Apparently One Soccer has been getting better at providing replays.

How the hell do you have cable in 2021 but no PVR?

As a cost saving measure we signed up for TekSavvy TV. You don't get a device, so we have an Amazon Firestick and a TekSavvy app that we watch cable TV on. I know, it's weird.

8 hours ago, Kent said:

As a cost saving measure we signed up for TekSavvy TV. You don't get a device, so we have an Amazon Firestick and a TekSavvy app that we watch cable TV on. I know, it's weird.

I actually do something like that as well. Signed up for 'netfox' internet and watch cable tv through a roku stick. Are you on Atop TV for your cable? There is actually a little known PVR 'beta' feature that you can use on that. 

I checked SportsnetNow with the Oilers game in progress tonight. From the home page/schedule there are no spoilers, and when I chose the Oilers game it asked me if I wanted to go live or restart the game. I chose restart and it worked perfectly. I could skip ahead to when the game actually started, etc. I hope OneSoccer is aspiring to be like this, and has a plan to get there!

I'm not sure if this is locked or not, but today's Globe and Mail features this article by Simon Houpt on One Soccer: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-canadas-mens-soccer-went-from-couldnt-give-it-away-to-show-me-the/

It's not overly detailed, but gives some information on their strategy for getting onto the cable networks, including their sharing of the WCQ games with SportsNet.  It is reported that this deal is one-time only for the WCQ, and is meant to prove to the cable companies that One Soccer's content can draw enough of an audience.  After that, they hope that cable/sat subscribers everywhere will be able to watch One Soccer on their TVs.  The article is worth a read if you care about this stuff.

5 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I'm not sure if this is locked or not, but today's Globe and Mail features this article by Simon Houpt on One Soccer: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-canadas-mens-soccer-went-from-couldnt-give-it-away-to-show-me-the/

It's not overly detailed, but gives some information on their strategy for getting onto the cable networks, including their sharing of the WCQ games with SportsNet.  It is reported that this deal is one-time only for the WCQ, and is meant to prove to the cable companies that One Soccer's content can draw enough of an audience.  After that, they hope that cable/sat subscribers everywhere will be able to watch One Soccer on their TVs.  The article is worth a read if you care about this stuff.

Thanks for this. 

Makes me believe they deliberately didn't make a deal with CBC to show CPL games this season 

1 hour ago, rkomar said:

Article says big CPL matches get an average audience of 100k. This is higher than WNBA & non-Raps NBA. This also implies OS subs are >100k at a given time.

Up to this point, the big TV distributors – Rogers Cable, Bell Fibe, Shaw Cable, etc – have shrugged off its approaches, noting that even big CPL games, which make up the bulk of OneSoccer’s live programming, have pulled in an average audience of only about 100,000. 

Edited by red card

5 hours ago, red card said:

Article says big CPL matches get an average audience of 100k. This is higher than WNBA & non-Raps NBA. This also implies OS subs are >100k at a given time.

Up to this point, the big TV distributors – Rogers Cable, Bell Fibe, Shaw Cable, etc – have shrugged off its approaches, noting that even big CPL games, which make up the bulk of OneSoccer’s live programming, have pulled in an average audience of only about 100,000. 

I thought the 100k number sounded far higher than reality. But I’m just guessing. 

5 hours ago, red card said:

I do not believe that 100k number at all.  The CPL final on CBC last year got 50k live.  There is not a chance they doubled that number on a streaming/pay service in one year.

My assumption on that 100k number was that it was pulled from CBC broadcasts in 2019 (I can't remember if CBC had games last year or not). In the context of the article it is talking about how many viewers they can get if they have a channel, so I think it makes some amount of sense to use the CBC numbers, but it would have been nice for them to be explicit about that.

I haven't been to the game thread to see if it was mentioned there, but was the sound timing off for everyone on Sportsnet for the Costa Rica game? It wasn't off by enough to be a problem during the game, just distracting in pre-game, half-time etc when you can see the mouths of the people talking. It was a pick your poison kind of night for me. If I watched the game on OneSoccer using my firestick browser, the video will be a bit garbage. If I watched on Sportsnet the sound was a bit off. So I tried mirroring my phone onto my TV with the OneSoccer app but for some reason mirroring wasn't working.

13 hours ago, Kent said:

My assumption on that 100k number was that it was pulled from CBC broadcasts in 2019 (I can't remember if CBC had games last year or not). In the context of the article it is talking about how many viewers they can get if they have a channel, so I think it makes some amount of sense to use the CBC numbers, but it would have been nice for them to be explicit about that.

CBC did have games last year, which is where my 50k number from the final came from.  They showed a game or two each week of the Island Games, none of which hit 100k.  They did not show any games this year.  I can't recall if any games on CBC in 2019 hit 100k.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I haven't been to the game thread to see if it was mentioned there, but was the sound timing off for everyone on Sportsnet for the Costa Rica game? It wasn't off by enough to be a problem during the game, just distracting in pre-game, half-time etc when you can see the mouths of the people talking. It was a pick your poison kind of night for me. If I watched the game on OneSoccer using my firestick browser, the video will be a bit garbage. If I watched on Sportsnet the sound was a bit off. So I tried mirroring my phone onto my TV with the OneSoccer app but for some reason mirroring wasn't working.

Being out of sync in no way impacts the quality in game, since it's garbage regardless.  Had a friend text me in the first few minutes of the game (they're not a regular viewer of Canadian soccer) "Who's the play by play?  They're awful. Mute."

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

CBC did have games last year, which is where my 50k number from the final came from.  They showed a game or two each week of the Island Games, none of which hit 100k.  They did not show any games this year.  I can't recall if any games on CBC in 2019 hit 100k.

The 100k number may have come from totalling live + encore showings. So, in 2019, the 1st leg of the Championship shown on CBC totalled 103k. In 2020, the single leg Championship totalled 94k.

The other match on CBC closest to 100k was PFC v HFX in 2020 with 86k.

Edited by red card

OneSoccer unveils its biggest-ever production as Canada faces Mexico in critical FIFA World Cup qualifier

Close to 100 technical and production crew, working across three Outside Broadcast trucks, will produce live coverage of the match for domestic and international broadcasters, using a total of 28 cameras including two Super Slo-Mo cameras

https://mediaprocanada.tv/en/news/OneSoccer-unveils-biggest-ever-production-as-Canada-faces-Mexico-in-key-FIFA-World-Cup-qualifier

1 hour ago, red card said:

OneSoccer unveils its biggest-ever production as Canada faces Mexico in critical FIFA World Cup qualifier

Close to 100 technical and production crew, working across three Outside Broadcast trucks, will produce live coverage of the match for domestic and international broadcasters, using a total of 28 cameras including two Super Slo-Mo cameras

https://mediaprocanada.tv/en/news/OneSoccer-unveils-biggest-ever-production-as-Canada-faces-Mexico-in-key-FIFA-World-Cup-qualifier

State of the art Virtual pitch being projeted on the screen is what I heard.

Snide jokes aside, OneSoccer know all eyes are on the game and this is like an expo trade show for them. Hope the weather doesn’t wreck everything, just Mexicos chances of a win or draw.

2 hours ago, red card said:

I hope they put some money into syncing the audio