OneSoccer

Foreen

On 11/11/2021 at 6:07 AM, Kent said:

Related to the above problem. I just found out that the team I play on had their schedule changed such that I have a game starting at the same time as Canada vs Mexico! I don't have a PVR, so I don't think the Fubo TV option mentioned above will work for me. Luckily this game is also on Sportsnet, which I subscribe to, but like I said, I don't have a PVR. Are there any SportsnetNow users out there that can tell me if you can start a game from the beginning while the game is still in progress? Or at least, if replays are available right when the game ends? I'll try to check this stuff out with whatever is happening tonight, but I'm freaking out a bit at the moment. I'm not keen on ditching my teammates or on waiting until the next day to watch the game.

You don't need a PVR. FuboTV is an online service. You account lets you 'record' some content to rewatch at a later time.

Some items of note from this media industry site article:

“As you can imagine Canada is not a soccer country, so we came here with one clear idea to develop the sport,” says Oscar López, Mediapro Canada, CEO

López says the use of remote productions will expand in the future, especially as Mediapro Canada continues to leverage post production facilities that Mediapro in Barcelona, Spain, manages. Mediapro is the host production services provider for La Liga matches.

“We have a lot of women working with us and we are trying to encourage the Canadian soccer business and the entities in the country to have a women’s pro league,” says López. “We are also going to create a weekly program that talks about the world of soccer from the women’s perspective. And in terms of production, we are not far from gender equity but still we have a gap that we want to fix.”

Mediapro Canada believes the combination of a changing population, an improving national team, coupled with a wealth of content featuring Canadian teams portend great things in the future.

“We are the sports channel with more Canadian sports content than anyone else as more than 80% of our content is purely Canadian,” says Oscar López, Mediapro Canada, CEO. “And our channel will show more than 180 live soccer games by the end of the year which is far more than have ever been shown in the Canadian market [in a single year].” (must not be including DAZN)

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2021/11/16/mediapro-canada-production-of-canadian-premier-league-embraces-new-workflows-tech/

21 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I wonder what the number was for the OneSoccer app. I really hope they manage to package CPL games with national team games somehow and get them on a major network. So many more eyeballs available. 

They are trying to get their own network. They have only managed to get it on Telus

Don't think they want to share much anymore. 

Meanwhile this is what we should probably be focusing on given it should help the finances of CSB depending on how the deals with the cable sports companies were structured:

which prompted these replies:

which begs the question how a random dude on twitter would know that Onesoccer has 12k subscribers given that info isn't in the public domain.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, red card said:

Apparently, he ran this blog.

https://theconservativecanadian.blogspot.com/

I’ve always disliked Larson for being an arrogant and close minded troll. Extremely grating personality. I stopped paying attention to him years ago while he was covering TFC but mainly because of his attitude. Had no idea of all this but I never followed him that closely because he was such troll. 

And although these are from 11 years ago, there are more recent stuff of his floating around from as early as 2017 by looking into some of the comments on twitter. 

Curious how OS will handle this. Hopefully it isn’t with silence. 

Edited by canuckgbp

Larson and I had some epic twitter battles back in the day, I realize he was a wind up artist but I called him out for it, he was so pro American and down on our Canadian players at TFC, I never figured why the Sun had an American writing about our local team when there are so many good Canadian media guys around but as time went on it made more and more sense! He started throwing his political stance into his TFC articles and that was it for me but I will say he always responded to my tweets! I have met him and had one on one discussions with him and in person he seemed an alright guy, he gave me the lineup for Canada 3 hours before the Nations League match with the US when I saw him at the GO station, he also said it was a real risk and Canada is likely to lose by 3 or 4 goals, I got a chance to raz him about that shortly after at a Forge media event! All I can say about the tweets is that I am not shocked and it will be very interesting to see what OneSoccer does, if anything!

He was originally a CanPL hire who transferred over to Onesoccer, so maybe they didn't vet his social media history too carefully. Don't like to kick a guy when he's down but on reading through his old blog I can see why he would fit in well at the Toronto Sun but it's not so obvious why CanPL execs would think he would be a good fit in a sport that skews very heavily towards recent immigrants in a southern Ontario context.

12 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Meanwhile this is what we should probably be focusing on given it should help the finances of CSB depending on how the deals with the cable sports companies were structured:

which prompted these replies:

which begs the question how a random dude on twitter would know that Onesoccer has 12k subscribers given that info isn't in the public domain.

He doesn't. Be just did the rough math. If it was about 1.2m on Sportsnet and 89k on RDS, that's leaving about 11k of OneSoccer in some form. And that's a very rough number - I know people who were having problems with the Sporstnet feed through Telus and switched to OneSoccer, but they would never subscribe to it.

Quick OS question.   I just bought a Roku streaming stick plus since we are trying Disney+.  

It looks like I can search for the OS channel and have it added - which would be awesome since it would free up my phone and/or laptop when I want to stream soccer.   Can anyone verify that it is fairly straightforward to get it all working as it should?  TIA.  

A twitter thread on how difficult it was for a Turkish background football journo to get a job in Canada.

No surprise here as mainstream Canadian soccer is very British and white. And as of the past year, Canadian hockey tv media even has more varying perspectives than Canadian soccer. And ESPN/Paramount+/NBC all have a wide breath of views that actually reflects the global sport of soccer and the players playing in MLS and the US national teams.

In terms of Cdn tv, TSN has had only Karina LeBlanc for a few women's matches and only hired JDG last year (after it came out they didn't hire Hal Johnson 30 years ago because there was a unwritten limit on blacks on the air). SN had Serioux for some cameo appearances on a handful of TFC matches. 

And other than bringing in an Balkan background ESPN analyst for the studio panel for a few days during a World Cup, it's all British for TSN. SN had Dichio but he was born in the UK. When CBC had the World Cup, it was the same story with Nigel Reed notably pronouncing James Rodriguez first name the English way till he finally read his emails.

OS started off with more varying perspectives but whether due to covid layoffs and/or Larson becoming head of content, it has been reduced. But still ahead given Petrillo & DeBlassis.

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

He doesn't. Be just did the rough math. If it was about 1.2m on Sportsnet and 89k on RDS, that's leaving about 11k of OneSoccer in some form. And that's a very rough number - I know people who were having problems with the Sporstnet feed through Telus and switched to OneSoccer, but they would never subscribe to it.

Taking out the rounding of SN's 1.153 figure, it is 57k on OS.

Though, the twitter guy is also subtracting OS Telus viewers without providing a source for it. But you also have to make an assumption some OS subscribers also just watched on SN since it is easier to just turn on the tv. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Quick OS question.   I just bought a Roku streaming stick plus since we are trying Disney+.  

It looks like I can search for the OS channel and have it added - which would be awesome since it would free up my phone and/or laptop when I want to stream soccer.   Can anyone verify that it is fairly straightforward to get it all working as it should?  TIA.  

I can verify! I usually watch through Roku. It has never dropped or buffered for me on Roku which is impressive. Downside is it is slightly behind the phone version, usually 10-20 seconds but it was easy to set up. I think you have to go to register to a website and sync with you phone browser or laptop to start but other than that its easy enough. 

The program guide is a bit weird it is set up in days that are set the same rather than today at the top then tomorrow, next day etc.. took me a while to realise the top listing isn't necessarily today and still irks my OCD that if its Friday I have to scroll down the list.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ohh yea I have Onesoccer on my Roku stick super easy. Add the app and login. Once you set it up and log in once you literally just click on the one soccer box to watch it any time.

1 hour ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Ohh yea I have Onesoccer on my Roku stick super easy. Add the app and login. Once you set it up and log in once you literally just click on the one soccer box to watch it any time.

Bought it and hooked it up.  Went really smoothly.   Prob should have bought one of these a while ago.