OneSoccer

Foreen

I just wanted to give a shoutout to the new default "commercial" break on OneSoccer, which is that instrumental song that is currently stuck on loop in my head - and now, hopefully, yours.  Much better for repeated listening than the goal calls and Allstate commercial reruns. 

On 10/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, nfitz said:

I may off myself though, if they don't get rid of the Davies commercial for Instagram. Do we have to here it so incessantly?

I found it useful to post the link to all those complaining that Drake had only heard of Davies after the Panama game on Wednesday rather than if was Davies who ask for Drake to follow him getting close to two years now.

Anyone else having problems with OneSoccer today? My internet has been terrible yesterday and today, so it's hard to tell where the problem is, but it seems to be with OneSoccer. Trying to watch the CWNT game and it's not working. Trying to test with the live feed and it's not working. Trying to test with the Forge vs HFX game and it's not working. I'm wondering if they are trying to do 3 games (the Lille game as well) and it's screwing things up.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Prepare to be disappointed by the general quality of play in the A-League! The overall standard of Australian football has plummeted since the Golden Generation of Schwarzer, Kewell, Cahill, Viduka, etc have retired.

So just curious, but is there a reason Australian football has tailed off?  Because they had a Golden Generation and established their own league, and I can think of another country that is currently going down that same path...

Australia already had a league called the NSL (similar to what the Windsor-Quebec corridor had in Canada in the 1970s) that produced their Golden Generation at ethnic clubs that were subsequently largely sidelined when the A League was formed.

Canadian soccer did that sooner when the CSL was launched in 1987 and Toronto Italia, Croatia and Panhellenic of the NSL were rejected as applicants while the Toronto Blizzard and North York Rockets were accepted. In both contexts a lot of people who had been heavily involved in developing elite level players were alienated by the manner in which that issue was handled.

Although it doesn't fit the preferred narrative of a lot of posters on here the present Golden Generation in Canada is driven to a significant extent by the emergence of fully funded MLS academies, so the parallels with Australia and domestic national leagues start to break down.

Ugghh, every post is about some mythical anti MLS narrative.   Cant we just call a spade a spade?  We are getting depth from the acadamies but I would argue we see havnt seen the big bump from MLS yet. MLS has helped immeasurably to grow the fanbase and the exposure and surely turned a lot of kids to soccer in the last 15 years and laid the groundwork for the CPL, but most of the top team talent didnt come through an MLS academy yet.    

Looking just at our main youngish semi regular starters who might have gone to a MLS academy....but Buchanon, Johnston, K. Miller, Lareya, Larin all came from NCAA route.  Cavallini, Hoilett, David, Osorio, Eustaquio, Piette, Kennedy all developed outside MLS academies.  

Davies, Crepeau...mb Akinola are the main academy grads at CMNT. You take Davies out (he was already a phenom in edmonton at 15 when Van got him)....its not as rosy or significant as you would think it would have been.  Hopefully the academy teens at the 3 MLS clubs now make it all the way to the top.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

So just curious, but is there a reason Australian football has tailed off?  Because they had a Golden Generation and established their own league, and I can think of another country that is currently going down that same path...

With a couple of free hours, I might be able to give you a rudimentary summary of the situation here. However, since I don't currently have a couple of free hours, you might just have to make do with the dipshit above who fancies himself an expert on the subject. 🙄

Meanwhile back on topic, there doesn't appear to be any hard evidence that the A Leagues are now on Onesoccer. Wikipedia mentions Onesoccer but the references provided for international broadcasters makes no mention of them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-League_Men

https://www.a-league.com.au/our-international-broadcasters

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/how-watch-a-league-202021-season

Their broadcast rights got picked up by one of the main networks in Australia called Channel 10 (owned from the United States by CBS) and they have been reported to have attraced a large cash injection from an American equity firm by selling off a stake in their league:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/a-leagues-set-for-130-million-payday-with-equity-sale-to-us-firm-20211023-p592jm.html

so they are doing quite well these days in terms of financial stability.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Davies, Crepeau...mb Akinola are the main academy grads at CMNT. You take Davies out (he was already a phenom in edmonton at 15 when Van got him)....its not as rosy or significant as you would think it would have been.  Hopefully the academy teens at the 3 MLS clubs now make it all the way to the top.

I don't think you can just "remove" the best player though. He was a phenom, but there's no saying a European team would have come for him or that he would have developed if he'd gone the NCAA route. I'm not saying Vancouver deserves all the credit, just that we can't remove him either - the system worked the way I think we're all hoping it will.

OneSoccer appears to have shown significant improvement in the time it takes for a past program/event to be viewable through the app.  If I couldn't watch something live, I typically assumed I'd have to wait until the next day to watch it - and even then, I've had to send a couple of e-mails to get episodes of OneSoccer Today to show up. 

Recently, I have been able to watch OneSoccer Today later the same evening, and yesterday's Forge match was available when I checked late last night. 

It's still very far from, say, DAZN's technology.  But baby steps...

5 hours ago, sstackho said:

OneSoccer appears to have shown significant improvement in the time it takes for a past program/event to be viewable through the app.  If I couldn't watch something live, I typically assumed I'd have to wait until the next day to watch it - and even then, I've had to send a couple of e-mails to get episodes of OneSoccer Today to show up. 

Recently, I have been able to watch OneSoccer Today later the same evening, and yesterday's Forge match was available when I checked late last night. 

It's still very far from, say, DAZN's technology.  But baby steps...

Yeah, agreed. In previous years I have at time had to wait more than 24 hours for a game to become available. I had a soccer game to play at 10 ET last night, so I missed the last half hour of the Forge vs Santos game. By the time I was home and showered, around 11:30, the game was available so I could watch the rest of it. Well done OneSoccer! Eventually it would be great if they could get to the point where I could start watching a game from the beginning if I am late to it. For example, tonight I have a dilemma for the 7:30 PM game between Pacific and TFC. I'll be busy with my kids until about 8:15 PM. Do I join the game in progress then? Or wait until the game is available on replay to watch the whole thing? Especially since I don't really want another late night tonight, so might have to conclude the game tomorrow at some point even if the game is available quickly like it was last night. If I could start from the beginning of the game at 8:15, that would be perfect.