OneSoccer

Foreen

This could be a clever move by MediaPro to get more eyes on it's product while sub-leasing it's product to DAZN.

If the DAZN grabs Canadian MLS rights, it's mutually beneficial for both parties to be partners.

Onesoccer/CPL/CSB/CSA gets extra eyes on their games and grow their following + extra exposure as MLS fans would be quickly forced to subscribe to DAZN

DAZN gets the increasingly popular CanMNT/CanWNT + CCL + Nations League + Gold Cup + Liga MX via OneSoccer.

That would be very smart

23 hours ago, Ansem said:

This could be a clever move by MediaPro to get more eyes on it's product while sub-leasing it's product to DAZN.

If the DAZN grabs Canadian MLS rights, it's mutually beneficial for both parties to be partners.

Onesoccer/CPL/CSB/CSA gets extra eyes on their games and grow their following + extra exposure as MLS fans would be quickly forced to subscribe to DAZN

DAZN gets the increasingly popular CanMNT/CanWNT + CCL + Nations League + Gold Cup + Liga MX via OneSoccer.

That would be very smart

Take my Money!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. There goes Dazn. Pretty surprised. Guess they can afford the Canadian MLS games now and will retain the CL/European games. 

Definitely good news for getting more eyes on CanPL. Someone will give it a go, they might not get through a full CPL match or come back but they will likely try it if they have access to it. 

So, incentive to buy fubo now before they crank up the price?

59 minutes ago, narduch said:

This reminds me of how awesome Gol TV was.

It was only an additional $3 per month on my cable bill. It had Serie A and La Liga. TFC games. One year they had the Gold Cup

Shouldn't this be the future of TV though? Like you have all the kids in their 20s who have never paid for cable, much less their own Netflix. They are never going to pay for 10 streamers or whatever it takes to get you back to idiots like me who pay $150 for the cable + the streamers. Isn't Bell/Rogers/Telus going to have to let you pick your TV menu at some point, inclusive of major sports rights holders? I have to imagine their subscriber base is dwindling. 

I feel like you have to have OneSoccer to keep your Vs Card. :)

That said, I've definitely received way more value in the MNT coverage in 2021 than anything else I've paid for (Netflx. Prime, DisneyPlus, hundreds of cable channels I've never watched). I also really liked watching the other qualifying matches sans USA -which it sounds like you'd miss with Fubo. I've watched quiet a bit of Lille. Can't seem to get into the Mexican League. My dream would be to consolidate all this shit on one channel that I could just watch/record on my TV with no bother.

1 minute ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I feel like you have to have OneSoccer to keep your Vs Card. :)

That said, I've definitely received way more value in the MNT coverage in 2021 than anything else I've paid for (Netflx. Prime, DisneyPlus, hundreds of cable channels I've never watched). I also really liked watching the other qualifying matches sans USA -which it sounds like you'd miss with Fubo. I've watched quiet a bit of Lille. Can't seem to get into the Mexican League. My dream would be to consolidate all this shit on one channel that I could just watch/record on my TV with no bother.

This. And if OS could add more Ligue 1 matches, the Scottish Premiership and the A-League (still uncertain about the rights for this last one), I'd be watching it every other day. 

8 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

This. And if OS could add more Ligue 1 matches, the Scottish Premiership and the A-League (still uncertain about the rights for this last one), I'd be watching it every other day. 

A-League is free on YouTube, apparently. 

13 hours ago, LifeIsABlasco said:

Man, thats a throwback. Didn't they change Setanta to Premier Sports?

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure Rogers bought it and it became SportsnetWorld, which still exists (and presumably is still very expensive with little to no value since it lost EPL games).

Former head of CBC Sports, TSN & SN and now Uninterrupted Canada Scott Moore put out a note in the wake of Canada winning the ATP Cup. He said Canada is becoming a serious player in sports that the rest of the world plays: soccer, tennis & basketball. 

He notes Cdn media needs to broaden its scope. Pay attention to where the next stars are developing such as the CPL. 

He then appeared on Bob McCown's podcast. He's another to confirm CSA paid to get matches on TSN (and also the Raptors got 0 from CBC in 2007 and now the CHL gets 0 on CBC/TSN after SN terminated their deal early). 

He helped OneSoccer with their WCQ deal with SN. He said a couple of times that Women's WCQ this summer will only be on OneSoccer. 

He says OS is having difficulty getting on Rogers/Bell because the days of adding any channel is over. More worried about costs of adding channels and prefer not to add competing sports channels - apparently same reason why Tennis Channel isn't available in Canada. Cricket on SN didn't work because it was too pirated. PGA Tour gave North American golf rights to only American media which has hurt Canadian golf. McCown also noted cultural conflict between hockey media and other sports like basketball slowed down its embracement.

fubotv's re-aggregation model is likely the future in the way people watch streaming/tv platforms. Finding the balance between getting broad access to getting more money from a narrow streaming service still needs to be found.

If he was put his money somewhere today, he put it in soccer. If he was charge today of CBC/TSN/SN, he would try to get more Canadian soccer. But corporate time horizons are too short.

Raptors pathway is a template to look at: started with $0 rights and more people watching in ACC than watching on tv. On the other hand, Grizzlies gave up and left town. If they had stayed, they would be more valuable now than being in Memphis. So, you can't expect CPL to get 100k watching right away.

"It takes a long time for things to change. Then it changes suddenly."

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/scott-moore-on-the-revolution-in-canadian-sports/id1518820915?i=1000547816642

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, red card said:

Former head of CBC Sports, TSN & SN and now Uninterrupted Canada Scott Moore put out a note in the wake of Canada winning the ATP Cup. He said Canada is becoming a serious player in sports that the rest of the world plays: soccer, tennis & basketball. 

He notes Cdn media needs to broaden its scope. Pay attention to where the next stars are developing such as the CPL. 

He then appeared on Bob McCown's podcast. He's another to confirm CSA paid to get matches on TSN (and also the Raptors got 0 from CBC in 2007 and now the CHL gets 0 on CBC/TSN after SN terminated their deal early). 

He helped OneSoccer with their WCQ deal with SN. He said a couple of times that Women's WCQ this summer will only be on OneSoccer. 

He says OS is having difficulty getting on Rogers/Bell because the days of adding any channel is over. More worried about costs of adding channels and prefer not to add competing sports channels - apparently same reason why Tennis Channel isn't available in Canada. Cricket on SN didn't work because it was too pirated. PGA Tour gave North American golf rights to only American media which has hurt Canadian golf. McCown also noted cultural conflict between hockey media and other sports like basketball slowed down its embracement.

fubotv's re-aggregation model is likely the future in the way people watch streaming/tv platforms. Finding the balance between getting broad access to getting more money from a narrow streaming service still needs to be found.

If he was put his money somewhere today, he put it in soccer. If he was charge today of CBC/TSN/SN, he would try to get more Canadian soccer. But corporate time horizons are too short.

Raptors pathway is a template to look at: started with $0 rights and more people watching in ACC than watching on tv. On the other hand, Grizzlies gave up and left town. If they had stayed, they would be more valuable now than being in Memphis. So, you can't expect CPL to get 100k watching right away.

"It takes a long time for things to change. Then it changes suddenly."

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/scott-moore-on-the-revolution-in-canadian-sports/id1518820915?i=1000547816642

It's an interesting discussion and read, though I'm not sure Moore is the best at prognostication. He's the one who crafted the Sportsnet NHL deal that has had them hemorrhaging money and cutting all the other sports he now cares about.