Tajon Buchanan

nolando

30 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I’m not joking this kid can play higher than Belgium right now not tomorrow .  Any of the top leagues in Europe right now , call me crazy but I’ve seen enough of this kid he is the real deal .

There’s no doubt he can - I’m surprised there isn’t more interest from mid table teams in the top leagues (West Ham, Gladbach, etc ..just as examples, not saying these specific teams).

I do think the fact that he’s a 22 year old “prospect” who has only played in MLS is depressing his market a bit - especially with so many clubs feeling the Covid financial crunch.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

There’s no doubt he can - I’m surprised there isn’t more interest from mid table teams in the top leagues (West Ham, Gladbach, etc ..just as examples, not saying these specific teams).

I do think the fact that he’s a 22 year old “prospect” who has only played in MLS is depressing his market a bit - especially with so many clubs feeling the Covid financial crunch.

I get it but compare Tajon to some of these other young international players that are playing in the MLS right now who have come from and played in some good leagues in Brazil and Argentina. Compare those players with what Tajon is doing and it’s not even close . Tajon is doing much better than all of these young internationals in the MLS who have played in some good leagues in South America . Who would you rather take right now TFC’s young international Soteldo who played a lot of games in Brazil’s top league or Tajon who has only played pro in MLS? Tajon for me it’s not even a question. I realize that these European teams might be looking at the fact he has only MLS pro experience, but he is outplaying all these other young MLS internationals who have pro experience in other leagues. 

20 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Sure hasn't affected all these Americans with a handful (sub 30-40 matches) and far less impact than Tajon getting straight to the Bundesliga, Serie A, Austrian Bundesliga, Jupiler Pro League, etc... 

Just now, grigorio said:

Sure hasn't affected all these Americans with a handful (sub 30-40 matches) and far less impact than Tajon getting straight to the Bundesliga, Serie A, Austrian Bundesliga, Jupiler Pro League, etc... 

Those are teenagers. Tajon isn't considered "young" by European soccer standards.

6 minutes ago, grigorio said:

To add to this - Clint Dempsey, whom he shares a lot of similarities with, was a year older than Tajon when he was transferred to Fulham.

30 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I think he would need to be more of bargain than the numbers I am hearing for someone like West Ham to take a punt ( that is how they would see it).   Even midtable clubs have a few quick, pacey early 20s homegrown players that have not proved themselves in the Premier League.  If they feel they can give a player a chance it makes sense it be one of those.  

And MLS has not produced a huge amount of direct transfers to the Premier League that have worked out brilliantly. 

Almiron is probably the semi-recent exception and he has probably been worth what they paid then but I don't think anyone would pay that in today's market. 

Zach Steffen and Matt Miazga would be closer to what I think Buchannan would go for and neither have lit the world on fire though they were set into the great black hole of Chelsea/Man City owned players that get loaned every year. 

Yedlin was probably a success for Spurs financially and did okay in bits. 

I am open to help remembering more. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think he would need to be more of bargain than the numbers I am hearing for someone like West Ham to take a punt ( that is how they would see it).   Even midtable clubs have a few quick, pacey early 20s homegrown players that have not proved themselves in the Premier League.  If they feel they can give a player a chance it makes sense it be one of those.  

And the MLS has not produced a huge amount of direct transfers to the Premier League that have worked out brilliantly. 

Almiron is probably the semi-recent exception and he has probably been worth what they paid then but I don't think anyone would pay that in today's market. 

Zach Steffen and Matt Miazga would be closer to what I think Buchannan would go for and neither have lit the world on fire though they were set into the great black hole of Chelsea/Man City owned players that get loaned every year. 

Yedlin was probably a success for Spurs financially and did okay in bits. 

I am open to help remembering more. 

Jack Harrison

11 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Jack Harrison

I guess that would be part of my point, now that I remember him.  He was bought from MLS 2/3? years ago, and built his game with a club outside the Premier League and, all credit to him, developed into a Premier League player.

That is quite a time span if you are not Man City.  

Edit: Also has the benefit of not taking up a foreign spot, I believe.

26 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I guess that would be part of my point, now that I remember him.  He was bought from MLS 2/3? years ago, and built his game with a club outside the Premier League and, all credit to him, developed into a Premier League player.

That is quite a time span if you are not Man City.  

Edit: Also has the benefit of not taking up a foreign spot, I believe.

Sure. Tajon, I would recommend not going to the club with the highest transfer expenditure in the world if you want guaranteed playing time. 

The two years Harrison spent 'developing into a Premier League player' he was helping Leeds to promotion playoff positions, and finally promotion.

30 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Sure. Tajon, I would recommend not going to the club with the highest transfer expenditure in the world if you want guaranteed playing time. 

The two years Harrison spent 'developing into a Premier League player' he was helping Leeds to promotion playoff positions, and finally promotion.

As I said all credit to him.  The point under discussion was whether a midtable Premier League club would look at Buchanan as a good investment that would slot in pretty soon (ie. even January).  MLS has not provided a lot of those recently in my reckoning.  (Brek Shea was another attempt that comes to mind.)  And the money and age means Buchanan is maybe moving beyond the punt category.

Just trying to present it from their perspective. I would take Tajon in a second if I was West Ham manager with a few million £s to use.

This is MLS. Don't know their place in the ecosystem of world football. They think they are top 3 league and want every transfer to be over $10m. I'm sure all these hypothetical clubs start coming forward if you start the bidding at something reasonable and take your sell-on as insurance. Realistically, MLS is probably below Turkey or Russia in stature (certainly in payroll), but somewhat similar overall. Turkey didn't get a single fee over 6m, most 1,2,3. Similar story in Russia. Fuck, even France only has a handful of fees of 10m. Hate to see him have to wait to leave on Larin. (That's a free transfer that isn't ultimately free because of the bullshit option years that no one but MLS think are a real thing).

Denzel Washington Hello GIF

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Anyone get the feeling his current streak is hurting his transfer plans?  The guy is just too hot.  Arena and Kraft are probably renegotiating the price after each and every game and goal.

Yes - there’s a ceiling to how much clubs will be willing to pay for a 22 year old MLSer (especially one who has kind of come out of nowhere in the last year). At the same time NE is probably valuing him above that market rate given how indispensable he is.  They’re going to have to do what’s right for Tajon and let him go at a lower rate IMO.

At the end of the day, Revs need to sell him. He's too good for MLS and he needs to move on. I'm sure he's made it very clear that this is his last season with the Revs. Maybe these recent goals will affect his transfer value, or perceived transfer value a bit, but eventually a deal is going to need to be struck, and I'm sure the parties in question will be able to meet eye to eye. Be it now or in January. If you're Augsburg or Brugge and you see him scoring week in and week out, I think your interest in him is growing as well.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Yes - there’s a ceiling to how much clubs will be willing to pay for a 22 year old MLSer (especially one who has kind of come out of nowhere in the last year). At the same time NE is probably valuing him above that market rate given how indispensable he is.  They’re going to have to do what’s right for Tajon and let him go at a lower rate IMO.

Unless a really good deal comes in they are keeping him until the season is over and can you blame them. They have a chance of finally winning an MLS Cup and they are not going to let one of their best players go until the end of the season and you can’t really blame them in the end.