Jump to content
nolando

Tajon Buchanan

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Ontario product and former Syracuse striker projected by some to go top in the MLS Draft. Worth his own page I figure.  

Has a great back story, I like the sound of him already: http://dailyorange.com/2018/11/unorthodox-way-syracuse-acquired-tajon-buchanan-best-striker/

Edited by nolando

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good thing is he is only 19 and foregoing his last two years of college unlike a lot of the college players who waste some key years of development playing in college. If he can get picked by a team with a good development system he could develop into a good player. His age is probably why the mock drafts are picking him everywhere from 1st to not in the 1st round. He may have the most potential but is probably not a pick that will help a team right away.

http://dailyorange.com/2019/01/tajon-buchanan-reportedly-forgo-final-2-years-su-declare-mls-superdraft/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope he goes to a team with a USL affiliate.  If he doesnt catch on early I'd hate to see him ride the bench all year and get 100min.  Better to get a full season of USL 1 under his belt in that case.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hope he goes to a team with a USL affiliate.  If he doesnt catch on early I'd hate to see him ride the bench all year and get 100min.  Better to get a full season of USL 1 under his belt in that case.  

You do mean, USL Championship right? Playing in USL 1,you might aswell stay in college. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Does anybody know if he always plays with the massive knee brace?

Googled his images, and it doesn't appear so. 

If he did need to play with those big ass ACL braces... It could be detrimental in regards to a physical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed in the mock drafts they talked about how the other top 3 guys were US U20 guys but only one made the latest squad but no mention that we have never called up Buchanan... definitely could have helped our u20s I’m confident in saying without even seeing him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Keegan said:

I noticed in the mock drafts they talked about how the other top 3 guys were US U20 guys but only one made the latest squad but no mention that we have never called up Buchanan... definitely could have helped our u20s I’m confident in saying without even seeing him.

Scouting is not something done overnight. You do it over a certain amount of time. Buchanan was not playing soccer 3 years ago in Colorado and you couldn't really get highlights off him. It's not like he was a dominant freshman. I agree that he had a good season, but  preliminary squads are named what 45 days before. You know how many games Buchanan had played for Syracuse  in 2018 by mid September? 4. 

They knew about Larin because he was playing here. And the other who were playing and living in the US the Beckie, Constant and co had  some videos from every year before. You couldn't do the same for Buchanan. 

Would he have been better? Maybe, but it's not like someone who had scored 7 career goals in NCAA in  22 matches screams call him up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Blackdude while I admit he wasn’t a Larin type prospect he didn’t just become a GA top pick in the last 3 months.  He’s been a well known player in NCAA since his debut.. obviously it’s not easy but guys who are projected top 3 picks should get a look.  Part of the problem is we have zero camps - the roster was basically named based off the Toulon tournament and domestic pros so if you had no prior involvement with Canada you were out of luck sadly. 

The handling of our u20 team was a disaster and it showed.  If we weren’t going to call our top u20s then there needed to be more evaluation.  Our rivals probably think we’re so odd having all this talent and somehow losing to St Kitts. 

Edited by Keegan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Keegan said:

@Blackdude while I admit he wasn’t a Larin type prospect he didn’t just become a GA top pick in the last 3 months.  He’s been a well known player in NCAA since his debut.. obviously it’s not easy but guys who are projected top 3 picks should get a look.  Part of the problem is we have zero camps - the roster was basically named based off the Toulon tournament and domestic pros so if you had no prior involvement with Canada you were out of luck sadly. 

Well known from his debut? He wasn't in the top 100 midseason but sure he got to 20th by the end of the year. I don't think that screams to me as well known since his debut. I do agree that the fact that we have had zero camps didn't help him, but even if we did, I'm not even sure that he would have gotten a look because he was hard to rate because he had holes in his youth career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Does anybody know if he always plays with the massive knee brace?

One of the articles said that he had a knee injury earlier in the year and played with the brace. I would assume that he no longer plays with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Keegan said:

I noticed in the mock drafts they talked about how the other top 3 guys were US U20 guys but only one made the latest squad but no mention that we have never called up Buchanan... definitely could have helped our u20s I’m confident in saying without even seeing him.

Well you would think that a guy who is probably going to go pretty high in the MLS draft should have at the very least got  a look for the last Canadian U20 team that failed miserably. It’s not like this guy just got good at the last minute. So nobody pointed this guy out to the CSA ? Once again and I’ve stated this many times on these boards in many posts, that Canada with our miserable results in men’s soccer be it in men’s U17, 20 and our full national team does not have the luxury in missing players like this who have talent. But this has been going on for years with our beloved CSA , I remember a certain Eddy Berdusco who at the time was one of the leading scores one season of our last attempt at a professional soccer league in Canada the old CSL that lasted from the 1980’s to the early 1990’s , he was of age to get picked for I think it was the Under 23 men’s Olympic team at the time ,but for some unknown reason was not picked to play on the Olympic men’s U23 team even though he was of age. Instead a few players not even playing in the CSL or anywhere were picked over him an incredible omission at the time for a guy who was scoring goals in out national professional league at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 1996 said:

Well you would think that a guy who is probably going to go pretty high in the MLS draft should have at the very least got  a look for the last Canadian U20 team that failed miserably. It’s not like this guy just got good at the last minute. So nobody pointed this guy out to the CSA ? Once again and I’ve stated this many times on these boards in many posts, that Canada with our miserable results in men’s soccer be it in men’s U17, 20 and our full national team does not have the luxury in missing players like this who have talent. But this has been going on for years with our beloved CSA , I remember a certain Eddy Berdusco who at the time was one of the leading scores one season of our last attempt at a professional soccer league in Canada the old CSL that lasted from the 1980’s to the early 1990’s , he was of age to get picked for I think it was the Under 23 men’s Olympic team at the time ,but for some unknown reason was not picked to play on the Olympic men’s U23 team even though he was of age. Instead a few players not even playing in the CSL or anywhere were picked over him an incredible omission at the time for a guy who was scoring goals in out national professional league at the time.

It seems very hard to make a Canadian men's youth team if you don't play for Toronto FC, Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecaps or Unattached FC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Without a USL team I don't think NER is a good place for young prospects like him (or Wright for that matter). He was subbed in as third attacking option, so he'll probably have to be content with just a few minutes here and there this season. Very hard to make a case for yourself like that (unless you're David). 

Edited by shamrock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...