Tajon Buchanan

nolando

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I'd rather he go to Brugge. They are a big club in Belgium and being in a winning atmosphere I think is important. Plus the level is excellent and if he does well he will move up just like David did.

He should watch In Brugge with Colin Farrell. Good advertisement for the city 😅

11 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

Yes, he might need to deal with Irish hitmen hiding out there.  Or need to use them later on in his career, whatever.

(Good movie, iirc.  I need to watch it again.)

I think Tajon is further ahead currently than David was when he joined Gent and JD killed it in Belgium after a short apprentice. Tajon is older and may not have the same potential but who really knows. What he does have is 3 MLS seasons and GC/WCQ and  has performed very well. I'm with @grigoriohere and am surprised some of the upper level bundesliga/Serie A teams are not there....but then again nobody thought Davies would end up at Bayern so maybe they are...

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I think Tajon is further ahead currently than David was when he joined Gent and JD killed it in Belgium after a short apprentice. Tajon is older and may not have the same potential but who really knows. What he does have is 3 MLS seasons and GC/WCQ and  has performed very well. I'm with @grigoriohere and am surprised some of the upper level bundesliga/Serie A teams are not there....but then again nobody thought Davies would end up at Bayern so maybe they are...

Buchanon would be coming into Belgium with higher expectations than David did.  That might affect the situation somewhat.

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I'm with @grigoriohere and am surprised some of the upper level bundesliga/Serie A teams are not there....but then again nobody thought Davies would end up at Bayern so maybe they are...

Ya it’s like if he went to North Texas High School in Forth Worth or some such place and came up through FC Dallas then this deal would be 18 mil and to Dortmund or something. 

1 hour ago, grigorio said:

While all these are great moves for Tajon I'm honestly surprised these are the best offers on the table for the Revs. One of the most promising young players in all of CONCACAF moving to a lower-third Bundesliga team or Belgian team after the kind of momentum of transfers we've seen more recently come out of MLS. 

Agree with you, honestly I feel it is almost highway robbery if these teams get him for those rumored numbers and at his age.  

I guess the "proven" factor plus guarenteed $, is significantly still in play here.

Since I am a bit of a gambling man and hypothetically an arm chair GM (the New England owner) I'd wait until after we make the WC :), then cash in on Tajon. 

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

When does his current deal end?

Great question. He signed a GA contract which is typically 3 years plus 2 additional years as club options. He is in his third year so he could potentially pull a Larin and leave at the end of the season with the view that the club options are non-binding. If NE want to optimize their return they probably need to sell him now.

Edited by Norrin Radd

3 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

Great question. He singed a GA contract which is typically 3 years plus 2 additional years as club options. He is in his third year so he could potentially pull a Larin and leave at the end of the season with the view that the club options are non-binding. If NE want to optimize their return they probably need to sell him now.

Could possibly be.

6 hours ago, grigorio said:

While all these are great moves for Tajon I'm honestly surprised these are the best offers on the table for the Revs. One of the most promising young players in all of CONCACAF moving to a lower-third Bundesliga team or Belgian team after the kind of momentum of transfers we've seen more recently come out of MLS. 

I think its an age thing.  While he is young, he is 22.  If he was Davies, David or Balou’s age when they went to Europe, it would be a different story.  The big Clubs probably don’t think there’s a much of an upside to take the risk as they can’t put him in the U23s if he is not ready once he arrives (and buying him to immediately loan out is a challenge to arrange).  Better to go to lower level Bundesliga or top table Belgian side and play, and if you prove it there, you move up.  Look at Larin, he is 26 and still potential for a top 5 league move.

5 hours ago, ag futbol said:

My wife is Belgian and I remember when that movie came out. So many Belgians were offended by it.  We were living in London at the time so frequently popping over on the weekends and it would come up in conversations for about a year afterwards. Generally, Belgium is used to being ignored (kinda like Canada) but not being called a shithole (kinda like Canada as well).

14 hours ago, An Observer said:

My wife is Belgian and I remember when that movie came out. So many Belgians were offended by it.  We were living in London at the time so frequently popping over on the weekends and it would come up in conversations for about a year afterwards. Generally, Belgium is used to being ignored (kinda like Canada) but not being called a shithole (kinda like Canada as well).

They definitely went over-the-top in dumping on the city. 

But then again, maybe the city should get more credit cause it’s the only movie I’ve ever seen where Colin Farrel wasn’t total garbage, haha.

18 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I’m not a fan of the loan back to the end of the season. Would rather he have as much time with Brugge as possible seeing as their season just started.

He’s missing preseason and would play 15 months in a row.

No, loan is good.

Plus it will be easier for him with travel in WCQ.

Edited by MauditYvon

I remember suggesting during the qualifiers against Aruba and Suriname that I would not be surprised if Tajon was chosen to start a few games (since everyone had Laryea as a lock in), so really not surprised he's been breaking out as he has, he's always been relatively dominant in MLS, even when he was more raw, but the talent was clearly there, and now it appears he is finding a whole new gear.

5 hours ago, Floortom said:

Tajon is so damn good..I actually think he might be our 2nd most dangerous attacking option at this point.

he’s so good in taking on defenders, his pace is ridiculous and his final ball has improved so much in the last year.

really looking forward to him playing in a better league next year.

The Canadian starting attacking 4 of Davies, Buchanan, Larin and David if they are all available are perhaps the strongest in CONCACAF if not 2nd best.  We have a real golden generation on our hands.

21 hours ago, Floortom said:

Tajon is so damn good..I actually think he might be our 2nd most dangerous attacking option at this point.

he’s so good in taking on defenders, his pace is ridiculous and his final ball has improved so much in the last year.

really looking forward to him playing in a better league next year.

He's not really tested against the level of rival our other starting attackers see. 

In Olympic qualifying he had one good game, with a bit of luck. 

Then he was very good in the GC, quite the tournament. He seems to have carried over in MLS. But until now he's not been a premium MLS player. 

He's on a sort of curve you don't want to see interrupted. But the transfer rumours are only based on the last 2 months of his career. 

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's not really tested against the level of rival our other starting attackers see. 

In Olympic qualifying he had one good game, with a bit of luck. 

Then he was very good in the GC, quite the tournament. He seems to have carried over in MLS. But until now he's not been a premium MLS player. 

He's on a sort of curve you don't want to see interrupted. But the transfer rumours are only based on the last 2 months of his career. 

This is the beauty of finishing off the MLS season, hopefully with some silverware at the end.

A move to Club Brugge would be a great way to continue that curve. The quality of teams in Belgium is similar enough to MLS, and he'll be moving from one top team to another. The similarity could possibly play a big role in helping him continue his growth.