Tajon Buchanan

nolando

36 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Kid has balls.  Took Herrera on in the corner and didn’t back down. Herrera was surprised then gave him the stare and spit down to the ground.  Wasn’t too happy that the kid didn’t give a cm.

Noticed that. Tajon doesn't give a fuck. Love it. 

31 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I noticed “no back down” from a lot of our guys last night. They weren’t intimidated by Mexico. Some of our squads in the past were timid against the better competition. Those days are gone now. I don’t know if it’s Herdman, his staff or the sports psychologists but something in the mindset of our players has changed and it’s great to see.

also Laryea... This guy never misses a chance for a shove or chirp. Bit of a goon tbh but happy he's ours. He's gotta drive opponents utterly crazy. 

Last but not least Osorio. I really think all of TFC's runs slaying all those Mexican teams boosted this guys' confidence 10x (and by extension the rest of his Canada teammates) when playing against these guys in this kind of an atmosphere. Gives zero shits about it and gets in faces all the time presumably in Spanish. 

Never seen a Canada team get in as many scrums as our boys have this tournament, it's a little nuts tbh. 

15 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

10 players selected between LAFC and Seattle, none from Canadian MLS squads (although you could easily argue that nobody was deserving enough). 

I thought Dajome should’ve deserved it. Sadly no stand out Canadians (yet) on any of our domestic teams though

The truth is the all star game isn't a meritocracy, it's about building the narratives that favor the MLS.

gotta young starlet you wanna get a big transfer fee for? Put him in!

Got some big markets you wanna keep happy? put them in!

Got a big time new signing from europe that you think might help goose ratings? Put them in?

It's no different than any other league/organization/industry when it comes to what is essentially a showcase. it's a self serving marketing tool.

And i say that with no anger, it just is what it is.

23 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

The truth is the all star game isn't a meritocracy, it's about building the narratives that favor the MLS.

Got a big time new signing from europe that you think might help goose ratings? Put them in?

It's no different than any other league/organization/industry when it comes to what is essentially a showcase. it's a self serving marketing tool.

Yup.

I'm sure if Pozuelo was healthy he would be there

32 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Well put.

It was the same for Kaye in 2019. That was all about the USL to MLS pipeline narrative. 

Happy for Buchanan regardless, just as I was happy for Kaye a few seasons ago.

I don’t know enough to comment on style of play, ambition, etc., but that seems like it would be a great level for the next step in his career.  They won the league last year, will be playing CL footy this year, and presumably will be competing at the top of a very solid league.  But it isn’t so high that he might get nailed to the bench (or even fight to get on it) at a time when he needs to be playing as much competitive footy as possible.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t know enough to comment on style of play, ambition, etc., but that seems like it would be a great level for the next step in his career.  They won the league last year, will be playing CL footy this year, and presumably will be competing at the top of a very solid league.  But it isn’t so high that he might get nailed to the bench (or even fight to get on it) at a time when he needs to be playing as much competitive footy as possible.  

I agree with all of that - but Brugge are a really strong squad with a lot of depth. It might be harder to crack their lineup than a lot of the mid table Ligue 1 and Bundesliga teams that are also in the mix for him.

Fun fact: before Jonathan David turned his season around last year, Club Brugge were trying to get him from Lille since it looked like Ligue 1 was too big a step, but the top brass at Lille believed in him and were immediately rewarded when he did in fact turn it around. From a Belgian article I read near the end of last season on his dramatic resurgence. It seems they still pay a lot of attention to him in Belgium and stake some claim to him, which is fair.

Edited by frmr

That's a tough one. Obviously the Bundesliga is a better league but nobody can argue how well Belgium treated David, and obviously Belgian clubs have taken notice to Canadian talent, so I wouldn't mind that move. If he tears up the Belgian league with Club Brugge, he could easily get another move to a top team in a top 5 league. If he tears up the Bundesliga, it would be the same story but is he good enough right now to start in the Bundesliga? I would like to say yes but who knows.

Put me down for Brugge over Augsburg. Too bad they may be out of Europe before he gets there. 

Pros:

• Regular participation in UCL/EL 
  • Trophies
  • Can position himself for a bigger transfer later

Cons:

• Not much of an improvement in league difficulty
  • ?
  • ?

Edited by Obinna