Tajon Buchanan

nolando

Could have been more ambitious, maybe, assuming those opportunities were out there and again, maybe, just settled for the best financial opportunity IF he's really landed at Brugge.  But it might just be the perfect place to start a long and famous career in Europe.

There is as much risk in too-much too-soon to a players career as their is in being overly cautious.  This man will be introduced to football in a cultural, and financal way, that hasn't existed in his world and he'll need to learn how to handle that.   Club Brugge and Belgian football might be just perfect for a young Canadian coming from MLS.

Either way, come Friday after looking at his pay stub you're going to need a serious winch to pull that smile off his face.

Mignolet, Vanaken, Vormer and Dost are some good veterans on that Brugge squad who have each spent some good time with their national teams (Belgium and the Netherlands respectively). They recently transferred out Emmanuel Dennis to Watford who was a speedster up top.

If we wanted a mix of pedigree and instant opportunity, Brugge seems like a solid middle ground for the time being. 

Edited by Pottsy3

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

Mignolet, Vanaken, Vormer and Dost are some good veterans on that Brugge squad who have each spent some good time with their national teams (Belgium and the Netherlands respectively). They recently transferred out Emmanuel Dennis to Watford who was a speedster up top.

If we wanted a mix of pedigree and instant opportunity, Brugge seems like a solid middle ground for the time being. 

He also has a pre determined new best friend.  He doesn't even have to think about it.  I'm sure John Herdman has reminded him.  So Tajon.  Your new best friend is Dieu-merci michel.  If your schedule works out you probably want to go watch the under 23s play.

Observing this deal and the recent transfers of David to Lille and prior to that the Larin move to Turkey.  

JD and TB are about the same age.   But If we were to be honnest with ourself and look at the body of work from both players specifically what they are able to deliver and what they are capable. Granted the sample size from TB is small (ie.:  just this spring & summer and at times agianst weak opposition) but from what we have seen in regards to:

- ability to create scoring chances for himself 

- ability to create scoring chances for others

- dribbling and ability to beat defenders one on one 

- Ability to impact a game and to do it against a world class side like Mexico

- finishing ability

I get that their roles are slightly differnt but Is there anything from those basic fundamental skills that you would give an advantge to JD?  Based on what we have seen of these two in a Canada Jersey?  Maybe point number five is debateble but, to be honnest,  in regards to the other points i give the edge to TB.  Again based on what i have seen and given that i have seen much less of JD.  So then why are the opportunities and terms of the deal not the same (at least) for teh two players?  The only conclusion i can come up with is that, overseas,  they have no respect or have a snobbish attitude for what someone can accomplish on this side of the pond.  

Edited by Free kick

3 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Observing this deal and the recent transfers of David to Lille and prior to that the Larin move to Turkey.  

JD and TB are about the same age.   But If we were to be honnest with ourself and look at the body of work from both players specifically what they are able to deliver and what they are capable. Granted the sample size from TB is small (ie.:  just this spring & summer and at times agianst weak opposition) but from what we have seen in regards to:

- finishing ability

I get that their roles are slightly differnt but Is there anything from those basic fundamental skills that you would give an advantge to JD?  Based on what we have seen of these two in a Canada Jersey?  Maybe point number five is debateble but, to be honnest,  in regards to the other points i give the edge to TB.  Again based on what i have seen and given that i have seen much less of JD.  So then why are the opportunities ond terms of the deal not the same for teh two players?  The only conclusion i can come up with is that, overseas,  they have no respect or have a snobbish attitude for what someone can accomplish on this side of the pond.  

I would add speed to the list. Admittedly that is more important for a winger than a striker but Tajon is fast. 

10 hours ago, Free kick said:

Where is the proof that its a better league and with more talent than the MLS?  

This is a long and complicated discussion.  Easiest way to explain it is....

The best player on a given MLS team is likely a lot better than the best player on a given Belgian side.  However the weakest player on an MLS roster is generally quite a bit weaker than the weakest player on the Belgian side. 

This is the case for MLS vs lots of other leagues.

5 minutes ago, Free kick said:

- finishing ability

I get that their roles are slightly differnt but Is there anything from those basic fundamental skills that you would give an advantge to JD?  Based on what we have seen of these two in a Canada Jersey?  Maybe point number five is debateble but, to be honnest,  in regards to the other points i give the edge to TB.  Again based on what i have seen and given that i have seen much less of JD.  So then why are the opportunities and terms of the deal not the same (at least) for teh two players?  The only conclusion i can come up with is that, overseas,  they have no respect or have a snobbish attitude for what someone can accomplish on this side of the pond.  

You ask a very great question. 

I personally think Tajon is better atm. I think he has"found himself" per say, where as David is still figuring out what kind of attacker he is best at being. David at Gent was best as a 10 coming in late, running with the ball, making delayed runs and David at Lille has been a hold up 9/ leading the line. I don't think he's best suited in the Lille role, regardless of the different level of competition. 

Just now, costarg said:

This is a long and complicated discussion.  Easiest way to explain it is....

The best player on a given MLS team is likely a lot better than the best player on a given Belgian side.  However the weakest player on an MLS roster is generally quite a bit weaker than the weakest player on the Belgian side. 

This is the case for MLS vs lots of other leagues.

Yes.  But that is only because of the salary cap.

11 minutes ago, Free kick said:

- finishing ability

Age is a big one - Tajon is 22 and has really only come into his own the last 6 months. JD was dominating Belgium at 19.  Those extra three years of potential development and growth are highly valued.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

You ask a very great question. 

I personally think Tajon is better atm. I think he has"found himself" per say, where as David is still figuring out what kind of attacker he is best at being. David at Gent was best as a 10 coming in late, running with the ball, making delayed runs and David at Lille has been a hold up 9/ leading the line. I don't think he's best suited in the Lille role, regardless of the different level of competition. 

Not sure if he’s “better” and he hasn’t proven it at the levels that David has, but I’m all aboard the Tajon hypetrain.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if within 3 years he’s the consensus 2nd best Canadian.

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Not sure if he’s “better” and he hasn’t proven it at the levels that David has, but I’m all aboard the Tajon hypetrain.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if within 3 years he’s the consensus 2nd best Canadian.

Agree on both counts.  

David’s slow start doesn’t erase what he did last year.  The winning goal against PSG, by itself, was massive and shows his value.  

But Tajon’s growth in the last 1-2 years  has been pretty crazy.   He is going to be huge for us in the years to come.  

19 minutes ago, Free kick said:

- finishing ability

It's difficult to compare someone who's playing in a France to someone playing in MLS.  The D's in Ligue 1 are just so much better organized than anything MLS can put out.  Just look at JD's adjustment period in Ligue 1.

I love TB, but a lot of his goals are huge defensive errors.  He just soo good at capitalizing on mistakes.

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

By better....I should've specified what I meant. 

I think Tajon is better for Canada atm, than David is. Again the sample size is smaller and it's tough to say when David has 15 goals in 16 games, but even still Tajon has played consistently against better opposition than David - whether with the U23 or the seniors. 

36 minutes ago, Free kick said:

- finishing ability

JD is absolutely a more clinical finisher and gets himself into better scoring positions. The latter is largely due to his role in the various formations, but I haven't seen Buchanan as a pure scorer yet.

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think Tajon is better for Canada atm, than David is. Again the sample size is smaller and it's tough to say when David has 15 goals in 16 games, but even still Tajon has played consistently against better opposition than David - whether with the U23 or the seniors. 

David has played against the USA (twice), Mexico, Haiti (thrice), and Suriname.

Buchanan has played against the USA, Mexico, CR, Haiti (twice), and Suriname.

That's off the top and I may be forgetting a few, but to me that's slight advantage David.

Buchanan's had more of those games recently, but that's not a strike against David in my opinion.

Also, if we are talking senior team let's talk senior team. If we want to bring U-23 into it why don't we just make it about clubs too, where David has obviously played against better competition than Tajon. 

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

I'm just over the moon that we have them both!

Agreed. 

I do agree with @Shway in that I also wouldn't be surprised if TB becomes our second most important player, because his ceiling is crazy high and anything can happen, but make no mistake about it, TB would have to absolutely skyrocket from here (like we are hoping for) and David would have to stagnate, because right now David is very firmly our 2nd most important player and it's not very close, with all due respect for what Tajon and Eustaquio have done. 

There is a reason it's hard to argue against 15 goals in 16 games. 

On the other hand, we haven't seen a player give Mexico that kind of trouble since Davies. TB was electric. 

Fantastic to have them both. Good times ahead.

I just remember....2 years (?) ago he was being compared to Liam Millar in reference to taking "his spot". I was (and some others I believe) was shit on for being crazy because at the time he only played about 10 games. 

He has raw talent, and he will only get better.

Let's put it this way. David was the top scorer and best player  in the Belgian league on a worse side than Brugge before Tajon scored his first MLS goal, and on top of that had almost as many assists as Tajon has in his whole career (8 vs. 10). They play different positions anyway so comparing them is weird to me. I think David's frustrating team situation is making people forget how good he can be.

Just now, sebdeserio said:

Let's put it this way. David was the top scorer and best player  in the Belgian league on a worse side than Brugge before Tajon scored his first MLS goal, and on top of that had almost as many assists as Tajon has in his whole career (8 vs. 10). They play different positions anyway so comparing them is weird to me. I think David's frustrating team situation is making people forget how good he can be.

This.

It was also a short time ago that David came in and dominated Suriname. Davies was critical that match too, but it really was the Jonathan David show. 

Since then a lot has happened, what with Tajon blowing up and all, but these comparisons remind me of a kid dropping his old toy for the new, shiny one. 

2 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Your right it is weird, I'll digress. 

I ultimately don't think he's a true number 9. He's too small, and not clinical enough (yet)!
His transfer came from him performing in the attacking mid position where he was creating and scoring. As long as he's further from that position and on his frustrating team it will be easy to forget what he's actually capable of. I just hope (like Davies) JH sees this and deploys him differently because I think Concacafs bigger stronger defenders will stifle him.