The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Honestly all you can care about at this stage is that Davies as a human is ok. Some of the posts in here have some very helpful information that point to a full recovery of the heart muscle in a pretty short amount of time. Outstanding.

As a CMNT supporter it’s optimal to have Davies for all matches, but in the long view of Davies having a long illustrious career, the last thing I want to see is risking even a 0.1% chance of him having a medical emergency related to the heart when we’re playing in some country like El Salvador or Honduras.

We have a deep roster up top and while this probably means we’re not taking 7 points this window, we should still be in the conversation for 6 points and a great setup for the final qualification window.

Edited by Cowtown Kyle

1 hour ago, Cowtown Kyle said:

Honestly all you can care about at this stage is that Davies as a human is ok. Some of the posts in here have some very helpful information that point to a full recovery of the heart muscle in a pretty short amount of time. Outstanding.

As a CMNT supporter it’s optimal to have Davies for all matches, but in the long view of Davies having a long illustrious career, the last thing I want to see is risking even a 0.1% chance of him having a medical emergency related to the heart when we’re playing in some country like El Salvador or Honduras.

We have a deep roster up top and while this probably means we’re not taking 7 points this window, we should still be in the conversation for 6 points and a great setup for the final qualification window.

Yes, We do have a depth and especially upfront but i still wouldn't rule out seven points.  This squad has done well with Davies and we have seen his impact but they have also managed to do well without Davies.   TB is a similar player but on the left side and if Herdman wants, he might be able to make David and Larin work (chemistry wise) this time.  That would be, if you play David in Davies role and Larin as the #9.   

in that Honduras game, the lack of chemistry between Larin and David was one of the reasons for the negative result and we have never seen them on the pitch together since then.  But if you can slot David into Davies role and still play Larin as the #9, who knows.

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Does anyone know how long will Davies be fully recovered this condition? Kinda scary hearing stuff like this esp when I hear it everyday from my anti vaxx  co worker about the horrors of vaccine lol. Makes me have doubts of taking the booster 

He just returned from HAVING COVID...

A lot of reporters have not been mentioning this in their tweets and I am not sure why

1 hour ago, WyattTaylor said:

This seems to be a pretty progressive group so I'll  probably catch flack for this, but the concerted effort by the media to link this episode of myocarditis to a previous COVID infection while completely ignoring the fact that he also recently received a booster shot does not instill confidence in their journalistic integrity. Especially since we know the vaccines cause myocarditis at an alarming rate in young men. Why not just lay out the facts and acknowledge that they're not sure of the cause?

While this group may lean "progressive", I don't see this issue as political.

I read several different articles about the subject and most give the full quote from the coach saying that it's irrelevant how he got it.

“It’s a bit confusing, there is no 100% guarantees, which is the same with other illnesses. There are different reason, especially viral load, or the flu for instance, that can cause cardiac problems. That occurred pre-COVID; that happened to other players pre-COVID.” - Nagelsmann

He didn't speculate one way or another.

There could be many causes. Maybe he eats too much red meat? (Half joking) Wouldn't it be odd to list all the possible causes in a soccer article, as if it were a WebMD post?

It's a fact that it was diagnosed after his COVID infection. That's what's reported.

I'm not sure what qualifies as an "alarming rate" in the medical world. 80%? 50%? 5%? 0.01%?

New England Journal of Medicine published a study that stated the rate is 0.011% (11 per 100,000 men aged between 16-29) "a few days after second vaccination".

A separate study concluded that it's 6 times more likely to develop myocarditis after COVID infection vs after multiple vaccinations.

Maybe journalists were just playing the odds? ;)

Edited by PastPros

Just now, WyattTaylor said:

So even if the vaccine has a not insignificant side effect profile, does not reduce transmission or infection, and is ineffective at reducing the risk of hospitalization (close to 80% of current hospitalizations in Ontario are vaccinated), you're going to blindly take it because "it's the best we have"? But what if it has negative efficacy?

What are your thoughts on the upcoming game in San Pedro Sula? 

44 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

It was crazy watching this in real time as Joe read from the study that showed that you are nearly 8 times more likely to suffer myocarditis from a COVID infection than from a vaccine (in this study it was Pfizer).  But the key here is that the data shows very clearly that rate of incidence of myocarditis due to the vaccine is indeed very low. 

Just to be clear, I don't think the rate is 8X higher for young men, since the vaccine appears to affect them disproportionately (but correct me if I'm wrong).  Also, note that Davies suffered asymptomatic myocarditis.  We don't have any idea about the prevalence of that condition post-vaccine or post-infection...

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

Is discussion regarding myocarditis ok since that is what Phonzie has? Where is that fine line between it being relevant to him or not? 

The fine line is when it becomes annoying (to me and others) and no longer relevant to the sport.  Don’t want to have another 6 pages of Covid talk here.  There is a Covid Talk area which I linked to and ask people use that.  

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

The fine line is when it becomes annoying (to me and others) and no longer relevant to the sport.  Don’t want to have another 6 pages of Covid talk here.  There is a Covid Talk area which I linked to and ask people use that.  

Complete agree , good on you for having the patience for dealing with this. 

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but myocarditis is a rather common condition for athletes to have after a virus. In this study, 48% of athletes who had a common cold were diagnosed with some level of myocarditis afterward. This a bit reassuring to me that (a) this is not necessarily COVID-specific and (b) this happens to a lot of athletes who, presumably, are not noticeably impacted long-term.

Edited by kohanz

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I will be deleting non relevant posts about Covid - both sides of the argument.

You want to talk about the science or theories behind Covid, take it here:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/77669-covid-talk/

Thank you.

I appreciate the need to keep things on track, but it’s discouraging to see misinformation posted time and again by the same bad actors. Those posts stay up for hours or days, only to have the conversation nuked when people spank them with the actual data.

If you’re going to draw a hard line on covid talk, then should we be reporting said posts? I hate rehashing this stuff over and over, but I’m also not going to let the bullshit stand unchallenged.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Two minute injury report on CBC The National.  We've come a long way 

I know it's supper shitty and unfortunate that Davies is sidelined with this. But one thing it shows is how relevant this team and sport have become in such a short time to the mainstream in this country. Every major media outlet has this story on its mane page. I know that if this happened to one of the other guys it would not be this big. But it's still nice to see how much of a big deal this is in the main stream media. It kind of warms your heart.....no pun intended..especially from someone who has had 2 heart surgeries 😜.   

Just to add to this here as I see it wasn’t mentioned above. 

The Kicker reporting today that internal sources at Bayern do not anticipate Phonzy returning in the 4 week initial timeline provided. Others are seeming to suggest 12 weeks minimum with this type of heart stuff. Again, like I mentioned in an earlier post, thé confusion surrounding the exact diagnosis (where Bayern called it mild but then Naggelsman said he will be out a long time) seems to be misleading people in different directions. This new information seems to indicate that mild myocarditis does not hold very much meaning and likely still indicates a long absence. 

Bottom line: horrible stuff for such a talented young player to have already picked up more than his fair share of knocks just in the past year alone. On the other hand, I think we should start considering the fact that we might have to do without Phonzy for the rest of qualifying. It may seem premature, but I don’t think you should be surprised if that is the case.

14 hours ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

Just to add to this here as I see it wasn’t mentioned above. 

The Kicker reporting today that internal sources at Bayern do not anticipate Phonzy returning in the 4 week initial timeline provided. Others are seeming to suggest 12 weeks minimum with this type of heart stuff. Again, like I mentioned in an earlier post, thé confusion surrounding the exact diagnosis (where Bayern called it mild but then Naggelsman said he will be out a long time) seems to be misleading people in different directions. This new information seems to indicate that mild myocarditis does not hold very much meaning and likely still indicates a long absence. 

Bottom line: horrible stuff for such a talented young player to have already picked up more than his fair share of knocks just in the past year alone. On the other hand, I think we should start considering the fact that we might have to do without Phonzy for the rest of qualifying. It may seem premature, but I don’t think you should be surprised if that is the case.

I haven’t seen a quote of Nagelsmann saying he’d be out a long time, although I’ve seen many people mention it. All I’ve seen is that he said, “it needs to heal and that will no doubt take some time.” Is this the quote people are talking about? I think it’s maybe a bit out of context if so. I don’t find that quote to really point to a super lengthy absence.