The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

11 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Bayern Munich vs Salzburg is a better match up for Bayern because they won't go home early

In a figurative sense, they will be heavy favourites to win the match.

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Goes to Austria instead in the redraw.

Actually, no need to fly ( it's an under 2 hour drive ) !

Assuming no COVID restrictions, there should be a great away fan presence.

But as I said, in a literal sense, they will be able to get home much earlier. They may even prefer returning home that very same night and sleep in their own beds.

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

In a figurative sense, they will be heavy favourites to win the match.

But as I said, in a literal sense, they will be able to get home much earlier. They may even prefer returning home that very same night and sleep in their own beds.

I'm not at all an expert on Germany - Austria relations, but it seems to me that the Bavarians have a kinship with Austrians - in some ways they seem to prefer Austrians over their German countrymates.  Having said that, I'm also pretty sure that Germans and Austrians alike, unless they're fans of Leipzig or Salzburg, hate the Red Bull teams.  As in, really dislike them.

Not to make this a travel thread but I’ve taken the train from Munich to Vienna a few times with a stop in Salzburg.  It’s approx 90 mins on an Intercity train between the two cities so if crowds are allowed in, it would be quite the scene.  Currently, it’s closed door matches in Bavaria and Austria.

6 hours ago, GasPed said:

I'm not at all an expert on Germany - Austria relations, but it seems to me that the Bavarians have a kinship with Austrians - in some ways they seem to prefer Austrians over their German countrymates.  Having said that, I'm also pretty sure that Germans and Austrians alike, unless they're fans of Leipzig or Salzburg, hate the Red Bull teams.  As in, really dislike them.

If you've ever done the touristy thing and gone to watch the chiming of the glockenspiel in Munich, the big event is when the Bavarian knight bests the Austrian knight in a joust. I'm sure they've had a few spats over the centuries.

6 hours ago, GasPed said:

I'm not at all an expert on Germany - Austria relations, but it seems to me that the Bavarians have a kinship with Austrians - in some ways they seem to prefer Austrians over their German countrymates.

I recall having a beer with a couple of locals in Munich one night. They were telling me that they didn't care much for people from other parts of Germany but the people they really, really hated were the Austrians. They weren't only talking about themselves but Bavaria in general.

12 hours ago, GasPed said:

From my limited understanding, the Bavarian dialect of German is closer to Austrian than standard German, hence the close kinship.

No expert at it either but did a little research on it after realizing the local Mennonites here spoke a different type of German as they've explained it. I thought it was all the same to be me lol.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:30 AM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Goes to Austria instead in the redraw.

Actually, no need to fly ( it's an under 2 hour drive ) !

Assuming no COVID restrictions, there should be a great away fan presence.

Pitch in Stuttgart looks more like the Argos practice field than a Bundesliga pitch lol. Davies also not having his best day.

Indecisive at times, ineffective moving forward, inconsequential on the game overall so far today. That might be slightly over-critical but he has really not been a factor, especially in this second half.

yes, Davies was not as effective on attack as he  usually is, but he made some essential  defensive moves to avoid Stuttgart goals. Several times he would sprint back and take care of many "opposition breakaways" as his teamates in central  defence were often too slow to make it back to handle the speedy Stuggart attackers. Although his passing was off, I thought he was far better than he usually is at tackling, especially in or near the Bayern penalty area. In fact, he had to run back so many times for cover, he was probably visibly tired enough to validate replacement. 

Edited by beachesl
espeling

On 12/13/2021 at 11:06 PM, SthMelbRed said:

If you've ever done the touristy thing and gone to watch the chiming of the glockenspiel in Munich, the big event is when the Bavarian knight bests the Austrian knight in a joust. I'm sure they've had a few spats over the centuries.

Actually the best view is standing with your back against the storefront windows across from the Glockenspiel and watching the pickpockets do their thing while all the tourists are looking up. 🤣🤣

On 12/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, beachesl said:

yes, Davies was not as effective on attack as he  usually is, but he made some essential  defensive moves to avoid Stuttgart goals. Several times he would sprint back and take care of many "opposition breakaways" as his teamates in central  defence were often too slow to make it back to handle the speedy Stuggart attackers. Although his passing was off, I thought he was far better than he usually is at tackling, especially in or near the Bayern penalty area. In fact, he had to run back so many times for cover, he was probably visibly tired enough to validate replacement. 

He was far far more involved in the defense this game because Bayern reverted to a true back 4, instead of a back 3 with Davies playing on the wing.  I suspect Nagelsmann did that because Stuttgart have very speedy wingers on their right side (Coulibaly and Silas absolute burners), and he decided to nullify that.  Davies did a good job on both of them - half of it is mental too - i.e. let them be a couple yards clear for a long through ball and then outrace them for it.  Coulibaly was done after 60 minutes and so Silas subbed on, and Davies pretty much handled him too.  So no, not a stellar offensive performance, but solid defensively against some dangerous players.  And that's pretty much what you want a LB to do.

Edited by GasPed

They might not want to overlap awards, but I would argue Davies is a better playmaker than Aaronson as well. We think of Phonzie as a speed demon and can beat players 1-on-1, but his passing is underrated and he creates a bunch of chances. The pass to Oso for the goal at Azteca, crosses into the box like the one to David for the goal in Toronto are a couple examples.

Not saying Aaronson isn't a very good playmaker as well, but Davies does get his share of assists.