The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Guess that means David didn't make the list. Don't think he is top 40.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I could maybe see him in the 30s, because you could argue he had a better year than Davies. But I could also see him not making the list which would be a shame (and an oversight).

6 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Guess that means David didn't make the list. Don't think he is top 40.

The main reason that makes me think David will crack the top 40 is that Yilmaz is on the list (85) and I find it hard to believe they think Yilmaz is a better player than Jo David.
Maybe it’s just that I am biased but Lille winning the league with David scoring so many goals (with so many big ones) last season and he has continued this season that I’ve just talked myself into thinking David is definitely top 40.  

9 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

The main reason that makes me think David will crack the top 40 is that Yilmaz is on the list (85) and I find it hard to believe they think Yilmaz is a better player than Jo David.
Maybe it’s just that I am biased but Lille winning the league with David scoring so many goals (with so many big ones) last season and he has continued this season that I’ve just talked myself into thinking David is definitely top 40.  

Yilmaz was Lilles best player last season and made the Ligue 1 team of the year so I’m sure the ranking mostly reflects that, as opposed to his current form

12 hours ago, Floortom said:

Yilmaz was Lilles best player last season and made the Ligue 1 team of the year so I’m sure the ranking mostly reflects that, as opposed to his current form

I could see this possibly having happened if this ranking was released in the summer but now, I find that hard to believe. If I recall the stat correctly, David was 5 in all of top 5 European leagues for goals scored in 2021 a few weeks back. Lots of goals, and many were big goals Vs top sides. For a calendar year award, David is ahead of Yilmaz (in my opinion anyway). 

I’m starting to see sports networks previewing their ‘plays of the year’.  I know mcdavid had that great goal, but if the Davies goal against Panama isn’t number 1, that would be a disgrace.  Obviously biased here but it’s the play of the year.  How many times have we all watched it?  I think after the game when I got home it was like 25 times that night and still so many times myself after or when some sort of replay is being shown with Canada soccer.

2 hours ago, EJsens1 said:

I’m starting to see sports networks previewing their ‘plays of the year’.  I know mcdavid had that great goal, but if the Davies goal against Panama isn’t number 1, that would be a disgrace.  Obviously biased here but it’s the play of the year.  How many times have we all watched it?  I think after the game when I got home it was like 25 times that night and still so many times myself after or when some sort of replay is being shown with Canada soccer.

I have that 2. That Mcdavid goal was utter ridiculous. Both better be 1-2. 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:32 PM, TOCanada115 said:

I have that 2. That Mcdavid goal was utter ridiculous. Both better be 1-2. 

I was half watching one on Sportsnet the other day. I can't remember for sure if it was ordered, but I think so, and I think that michigan flip pass goal from the NHL (Ducks I think? Zegras?) was number 1. I can't be too upset with that.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:45 PM, EJsens1 said:

I think Sportsnet had it at #4 in their plays of the year. On the misplays of the year, the Duverger own goal in our favour was at #8. I thought it would go higher, to #2 after the Where's Waldo Woman idiot who caused the crash at the Tour De France (which did end up being #1).

23 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I think Sportsnet had it at #4 in their plays of the year. On the misplays of the year, the Duverger own goal in our favour was at #8. I thought it would go higher, to #2 after the Where's Waldo Woman idiot who caused the crash at the Tour De France (which did end up being #1).

The misplays also had that CONCACAF League miss inside the 6 yard box that benefitted Forge. It's a bit trippy hearing the OneSoccer commentators in the middle of lists like that.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Uhh.

Tested positive for covid.

Bayern having a huge outbreak - not sure how they're going to play Friday's match. Assuming no health issues, he should be good to travel for the window at end of month at least as quarantine would be 14 days if Omicron. Starting to really cut it close though..if players are infected in the next week or two they might be ruled out for the international window later this month. I guess David and Davies getting it when they did is almost fortunate timing

Edited by Floortom

Isolation period is just 5 days according to this:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canadian-star-alphonso-davies-tests-positive-covid-19/

I expect he will be fine for the window. You have to wonder at what point teams stop testing players who are asymptomatic (assuming that's the case here), as it doesn't seem to have much of a productive outcome to do so.

A bunch of my Bengals are in COVID protocol, some have tested positive. Many fans are saying it's good for them to get it now before the playoffs, but other fans have pointed out that those who tested positive have, on the whole, had poor performances when they first returned to action. (Caveat: missing a week or two of practice in the NFL is a bigger deal than in soccer, with all the scheming they do for specific opponents).

Hoping that Davies, David, and anyone else who may contract it before the next window is asymptomatic, fully vaccinated, and fully recovers before the next match. It's one thing to be available to play, it's another to be available to play well.