General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

41 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Not to take away from the potential of having 3 Canadians taken in the first round and I'm certainly no expert on this, but they have Montreal taking a Goalkeeper with their 11th overall pick. Isn't another young Keeper the last thing Montreal needs?

Clearly getting another young defender is a bigger need. And he must be Canadian. 

1 hour ago, Jedi Ram said:

Honestly, these days MLS SuperDraft is losing their relevancy as virtually all clubs are developing home-ground talents.  I can't recall the last time a Canadian MLS actually got a player from the draft in recent years.

BTW = why is it called "Super" ?  What makes it different from regular draft like other sports ?😝

Although we have more players in our national team from NCAA than developed in MLS academies 

41 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Although we have more players in our national team from NCAA than developed in MLS academies 

Going 2 deep on the depth chart, there is just a bit more via MLS (6) than NCAA (5) while Europe has the most. Plus, a soccer player coming through the NCAA isn't really a 100% NCAA product. NCAA is part time, many don't stay for even 3 years, most also play with other clubs at the same time such as in L10. You also have players like Laryea and Buchanan who only blossomed after a year or two in MLS.

I also view having too many NCAA players on the national team as having too many failures in our development system. The NCAA is a safety net for those whose talent wasn't identified and/or are late bloomers because of starting playing late, poor coaching and not enough training hours.

Buchanan left the country when in high school, so he was completely missed by Canadian soccer. Johnston was declined by TFC academy for being too small. And as mentioned, Laryea blossomed in MLS & Larin also came through the only real non-MLS academy. For Miller, I haven't heard about too much about his pre-NCAA development experiences.

3 hours ago, Jedi Ram said:

Honestly, these days MLS SuperDraft is losing their relevancy as virtually all clubs are developing home-ground talents.  I can't recall the last time a Canadian MLS actually got a player from the draft in recent years.

BTW = why is it called "Super" ?  What makes it different from regular draft like other sports ?😝

Except 5 of our current starting XI came through the superdraft. 

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/ranking-the-2015-2020-mls-superdrafts-which-was-best

Another draft related article from the MLS site. This one ranks the best draft years in order from 2015 through 2020, listing the top five players for each year. Interesting that there is a Canadian player in the top five in four of the six drafts including two in 2019 (St. Clair also getting an honorable mention). The 2015 draft wins as the top draft year due to Larin beating out Tajon for the "crown gem" of the entire pool.

Im Just loving seeing the resurgence of our CMNT. I am happy to see conversations at cafes concerning them etc, To me the turning point came  after the loss to Haiti in 2019, and it began with the victory vs the USA in 2019 at BMO , where in a span of 2 hours it was just another sporting event to the number 1 sports story in Canada that night. That same night as I was driving home I put my it on CFRU 93.3  they play the BBC World Service  and during there Sports Round Up Canada s victory was there second story.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:56 AM, dyslexic nam said:

I know it is not the common sentiment but there is something about his play that I think has room to progress significantly.  He is fast. Maybe not Phonzie fast but he is definitely a speedster.   He also has tricks that I see executed more naturally than anyone else on our team.   Davies may be able to blow by guys with sheer pace, but in terms of taking someone on directly and running at them one on one I think Tajon may end up having a more diverse skillset.  Plus he can finish well - and with both feet (I think).  His game is well rounded and when you consider the pace at which he has progressed, I think his growth will continue for a while yet.   And there are elements of his game that make me think he could progress to be the most complete attacker we have   

It is probably an unlikely idea but it wouldn’t shock me.  

It's these kind of reasons that had me thinking Tabla was better than Davies when they were both in MLS. I'm not going to doubt Davies again. It could be that Buchanan has a better twilight of his career, when they both start losing their speed, but Davies' speed is really, really, special. And the rest of his game is very good. Good enough to make him elite when paired with his world class speed.

So I see where you are coming from, but I still choose Davies. We may not see another Davies level talent for another 25 years.

18 minutes ago, Kent said:

It's these kind of reasons that had me thinking Tabla was better than Davies when they were both in MLS. I'm not going to doubt Davies again. It could be that Buchanan has a better twilight of his career, when they both start losing their speed, but Davies' speed is really, really, special. And the rest of his game is very good. Good enough to make him elite when paired with his world class speed.

So I see where you are coming from, but I still choose Davies. We may not see another Davies level talent for another 25 years.

Or ever. Still hoping he's the first of many.

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Pretty decent depth chart jjdtv posted on Instagram. 

Screenshot_20220109-104909_Instagram.jpg

Think the biggest issue with the chart is that Millar is really not one of our starting XI.  In real life, Davies would start over him with Adekugbe slotting in behind.   Also, in real life we tend to alternate David and Larin up top; Buchanan is a guaranteed starter.  Finally, while Eustaquio is a surefire starter, I don't think Hutch is the same.  MAK or Oso are just as likely to start if not more so.  And Arfield as 9th in line certainly doesn't reflect his talent (although who knows where he stands with the manager).

On 1/9/2022 at 4:52 PM, Stryker911 said:

Pretty decent depth chart jjdtv posted on Instagram. 

Screenshot_20220109-104909_Instagram.jpg

As soon as we make Pot 3 I'm going to start obsessing over this.

We need to have every position covered fully by players starting and excelling in top pro leagues. No Bryms, Chungs or Yaos, sorry. You have to imagine taking the 4th string and putting it on a pitch to be competitive: and it wouldn't be. 

Where is Ennis, that's a terrible slight IMHO.

I'm getting bored of people being such slaves to pumping out content regularly that they spend their time posting worthless images like these depth charts, which force the creator to choose one formation and one position for each player, thus rendering it essentially meaningless.

I am not trying to pick on jjdtv or anything (though I know the above comment is quite harsh). He's a guy who is passionate about Canadian soccer and fosters discussion on socials which I do think is a good thing, conceptually. It's just that I saw one person post a depth chart on twitter, then all the commentators on socials do the same, and this discussion is just vapid and empty -- just time poured into image production to corral some engagement. Would much rather read an article about Canada's depth chart  -- what are the strengths and weaknesses of each position, what do these strengths and weaknesses mean for how we can line up/style of play, etc. But no one likes essays anymore (if they ever actually did) and these images are easy consumables for casuals.

Ok, old man rant over. I try really hard not to be negative precisely because it is my nature, but I wanted to let off some steam here. And yes I do realize there are people who write articles with analyses, so kudos to them.

Am fine if everyone reacts to this post with the "Confused" reaction 😄

19 hours ago, El Diego said:

I'm getting bored of people being such slaves to pumping out content regularly that they spend their time posting worthless images like these depth charts, which force the creator to choose one formation and one position for each player, thus rendering it essentially meaningless.

I am not trying to pick on jjdtv or anything (though I know the above comment is quite harsh). He's a guy who is passionate about Canadian soccer and fosters discussion on socials which I do think is a good thing, conceptually. It's just that I saw one person post a depth chart on twitter, then all the commentators on socials do the same, and this discussion is just vapid and empty -- just time poured into image production to corral some engagement. Would much rather read an article about Canada's depth chart  -- what are the strengths and weaknesses of each position, what do these strengths and weaknesses mean for how we can line up/style of play, etc. But no one likes essays anymore (if they ever actually did) and these images are easy consumables for casuals.

Ok, old man rant over. I try really hard not to be negative precisely because it is my nature, but I wanted to let off some steam here. And yes I do realize there are people who write articles with analyses, so kudos to them.

He’s mainly a YouTuber, and he did create a video with the graphic and some more analysis on why he put the players where he did, strengths/weaknesses, etc.

21 hours ago, El Diego said:

That chart came with a 50 minute explanation with Alexandre Gangué-Ruzic that goes into detail about the placement of the players.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

He’s mainly a YouTuber, and he did create a video with the graphic and some more analysis on why he put the players where he did, strengths/weaknesses, etc.

40 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

That chart came with a 50 minute explanation with Alexandre Gangué-Ruzic that goes into detail about the placement of the players.

Admittedly not the best example to use to try to prove my point. Further apologies to jj, I'll have to give the video a watch when I find some time.

yup and the whole board is waiting for one persons reaction

On 9/6/2020 at 1:30 AM, SpecialK said:

I don’t know care, they were born here and should celebrated. Also they both should have the Canadian coaching jobs! At the Senior level and U23. I really like Mauro Biello so he could stay in the mix maybe U20, man they need to fire that fat piece of shit Andrew Olivieri. That guy is what’s wrong with Canada Soccer right here ! A useless, not qualified, hasnt won a damn thing, amateur , Frodo Herdman’s yes man! I don’t know what’s worse Floro’s son coaching the U23 or this fat clown !