General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

17 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Random post ….no context 

rewatching gold cup 2021 v Mexico tonight- Mexico TV feed 

Those 2 penalties awarded against us were about as Concacafy sketchy as they come 

on our best day….we are better than them 

Those two penalties would be called in any region with VAR. It hurt but if we were on the other end of it we would want the same call. It would only be concacafy if it happened to us and there was no call.

14 hours ago, Shway said:

Those two penalties would be called in any region with VAR. It hurt but if we were on the other end of it we would want the same call. It would only be concacafy if it happened to us and there was no call.

I don't remember one of them, but the one against MAK where they were just focusing on if the player was in the box or not, I didn't think the replays showed any conclusive contact.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I don't remember one of them, but the one against MAK where they were just focusing on if the player was in the box or not, I didn't think the replays showed any conclusive contact.

The Henry one was stone cold.

The MAK one was super weird imo. I don't remember if I posted my theory here or on twitter, but it goes like this:

Referee calls MAK foul outside the box as FK. If ref thought it was in the box he likely doesn't call the foul as it would be a PK. VAR looks and sees that foul as called looks to be in box, so tells ref to review. Ref goes to review, but at this point he can only review if it is in the box or out -- he is not allowed to review whether it was a foul. It is clear that the contact was in the box, so it becomes a PK -- something the ref never wanted to award because, in his mind, the type of contact and location of contact does not warrant such an outcome.

Obviously I am speculating on what is going on in the ref's head, but I guarantee this thought process happens in a ref's mind  at times.

1 minute ago, El Diego said:

The MAK one was super weird imo. I don't remember if I posted my theory her or on twitter, but it goes like this:

Referee calls MAK foul outside the box as FK. If ref thought it was in the box he likely doesn't call the foul as it would be a PK. VAR looks and sees that foul as called looks to be in box, so tells ref to review. Ref goes to review, but at this point he can only review if it is in the box or out -- he is not allowed to review whether it was a foul. It is clear that the contact was in the box, so it becomes a PK -- something the ref never wanted to award because, in his mind, the type of contact and location of contact does not warrant such an outcome.

Obviously I am speculating on what is going on in the ref's head, but I guarantee this thought process happens in a ref's mind  at times.

You're spot on. 

Both calls were correct IMO.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

The MAK one was super weird imo. I don't remember if I posted my theory here or on twitter, but it goes like this:

Well done, that is exactly how I recalled it.

5 hours ago, El Diego said:

I had the same thought, but do we know that the bold above is true? Couldn't they just make it more generic and he is reviewing whether it should be a penalty? Like if he called a penalty and the VAR says "look at this" with the exact same video, he could overturn it and say no penalty, there was no foul. If the bold above is true and my hypothetical is true, it just proves another angle of the ridiculousness of VAR.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:54 PM, Addona said:

I figured that was coming.  I don't know who your NHL team is, but I'll throw out a "1967", just in case ... 

Trade Price to the Avs in the coming weeks, and grab Wright in the draft, and we'll be back in business!

Funny thing is I'm a Habs fan also. Bit of a shit show this year but they picked a good year to suck.

32 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Anyone have any idea when the roster for the next window will be announced? Usually its at the end of the week but like by now there is some rumours who have been called but haven't seen or heard much..

I think its been Friday for all the Octo windows.