General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Good morning to everyone,

Figured to create this thread to have generalized discussion about CMNT.

What we know now is Octovio Zambrano is our coach and has many other position it seems like to rejuvenate the Men National program from youth to senior team... Here is hoping that he is on the phone with players that are undecided and convince them to join Canada for a new and proactive attacking team. He will have to find the next generation CB as well more mobile and better adapted to take on fast players. I am enjoying to see Canada to play out of the back as well and this will grow with more games. 

Canada did better than expected at the Gold Cup also scored some goals not just against French Guina, but also against Costa Rica and Jamaica. Our national team is shifting towards the next generation and are being told by OZ to not be afraid any longer and to attack the others teams without any fears. 

Next game Canada plays is September 2nd against Jamaica. Does anyone know if this falls on a FIFA date? If it does I am hoping for Canada to add a second game or heck play Jamaica twice honestly. I feel that Canada must play two games on all FIFA dates and any games outside of FIFA date as well. More games the better again the more games the better. The ConCaCaf proposed idea of the Nations League may help to add more games and I would like it to happen. However don't want Canada to be stuck playing only ConCaCaf foes, because I want Canada to play against foes form S. America, Europe, Africa, Asia, and so on. 

My general thought with this new approach is positive. I am excited to see what Zambrano will do the next few years and again more game he gets the more players he will be able to search to play for Canada. I want to see the team have a larger depth than ever before. Also all Canadian coaches are to learn from him as well and also through that MLS coaching program they've added. With the CPL coming in the next few years this shall help CMNT that much more which makes it even more exciting since it would be our league for all Canadians. Which will allow more Canadian playing College in Canada to turn pro for sure. I'm not to familiar with the soccer scene in the College game, but if anyone can or is willing to create top college soccer team along with top players that will benefit from CPL. With the CPL it would be imperative to have Ottawa and FCE into the league. I know it would be difficult to get the big three from MLS, but that's further in the future. It will take time to grow this league, but CSA can make it successful. 

This can become about news of MNT, previews/reviews of games, listing of players called in, and more. 

Hope this can be tagged...

Allez Les Rouge/ Go Reds.... CMNT will rise to the top of ConCaCaf into many WC tournament....

I expect Zambrano will begin introducing a few new players into the roster now with an eye on the next competitive cycle (whenever that is). 

So I would expect him to bring up Amre Didic to see if he can add depth and quality to our CB tandem, Jay Chapman to improve our depth at CM and some of the younger guys in Europe like Dario Zanatta and Liam Millar. 

It was a positive tournament. The midfield was able to retain possession well and stand up to some the best teams in CONCACAF. Borjan spills a few, but his shot stopping is very good. One of the strikers needs to start bagging goals, and frankly it would be best if it's Larin. The defense ..... just needs to get better. It was probably better than expected, and still wasn't really good enough. Set pieces (both ends) need work. Better movement in the final third is needed. 

I've been missing/working for the better part of three weeks.  But I forced my soccer hating coworkers to watch ALL the CDN games at the gold cup and havnt been blabbing on here.  So I am home now, its over and I think it was a super positive tournie.  We were whining about how we had not scored in about 30 years at the gold cup, and now, Davies pots 3 (and is currently the tournie leader), Jakovic, Arfield and Hoilet all score 1.  What a turnaround.  We played attacking soccer, we didnt park the bus for 3 straight games with the manager playing 6 CB at one time.  VERY POSITIVE!  Goals from open play, long range strikes, I barely recognized the team.  We all wanted to get out of the group stage, and we did, box checked.  I enjoyed the way they were playing, my non soccer friends enjoyed it.  

As for the players, Arfield and Hoilet really showed their class, did yeomans work and should be the first calls from OZ.  Peitte  worked his ass off, did the dirty work and covered the wandering modern (by design) FBs.  The DM spot has to be his in the future unless it was a one off kind of thing.  Davies is the breakout star, but Petrasso stepped up and showed he should claim the RB (or still back up winger) spot.  Sorry Nick ledgerwood. Borjan was great and will hopefully turn some heads at RED STAR, good for him.  Even Adegube and Kaye werent bad.  Almost everyone was good...BUT......

The forwards however were a bust, you can do good work, positive things but in the end you need to finish the chances that were created over the 4 games, and they didnt.  If you are not a goal scorer, the coach is going to look elsewhere.  That was where I got the same old bad feelings watching miscues, misruns, miscommunication, nobody finding open spaces, yelling at team mates instead of getting open and on the end of the balls into the box.  Although Cav and AJH both made nice plays that resulted in scoring chances for Davies, the kid had the hardest job on the play (finishing) and he did it making everyone else look good.  Overall I hope Cav doesnt go back to his club and shit on Canada.  I was watching really close to see this firey Uruguyan fight to the death attitude etc.  If it was there I didnt see it, unless it was from Peitte, Arfield and Hoilet.  Larin needs to get his head straight and start doing it like he does in MLS, if he can...

7 hours ago, canta15 said:

so basically every topic in the CMNT section just in one thread

No not really mainly coaching news, player news, list of call ups, rumors, game list, and so more. We don't need play by play thread, nor pre or post match discussion. Just CMNT stuff that don't need a thread for each small things just one big general discussion. It's annoying to look for or search for certain threads.

It was an interesting run. I feel the results 1 W, 2 D, and 1 L do not seem as good as it feels. For me, as has been stated by many, it is the switch in mentality and feel. OZ does a great job of saying the right things to the media (and I am sure the players) that helps set a positive mentality. I liked how the focus was never defensive or just as reserved as Floro, it was always forward looking. Before Honduras it was more of a lets go and win this screw the tie, which is the right mentality versus the past. It will be tough to wait a few more years for meaningful games, but hopefully we can play as many friendlies as possible.

I am also quite pleased with the seeming depth we are assembling (relative to our past). We now have good professionals who are not making the cut and it is not due to a personal grievance or decision.

I felt it would be fun to make a depth chart. This was done relatively quickly and please forgive anyone who is missing or positional issues (I made a utility section that includes a few who I was totally unsure).

I listed their ages as of what they will turn in 2020, which is most relevant to the next World Cup. 

GK: 
1.    Borjan (33)
2.    Leutwiler (31)
3.    Crepeau (26)
4.    Thomas (31)
5.    Irving (27)
6.    Melvin (26)
7.    Carducci (24)

CB: (Send Help)
1.    Vitoria (33)
2.    Jakovic (35)
3.    James (27)
4.    Edgar (33)
5.    Henry (27)
6.    Lefèvre (31)
7.    Hainault (34)
8.    Corbin-Ong (29)
9.    Gasparotto (25)
10.    Attakora (31)
11.    Ouimette (28)

LB:
1.    Adekugbe (25)
2.    Tissot (28)
3.    Morgan (29)

RB:
1.    Petrasso (25)
2.    Córdova (25)

Utility:
1.    De Jong (34)
2.    Aird (25)
3.    Straith (30)
4.    Ledgerwood (35)
5.    Fresenga (22)
6.    Kapor (29)
7.    Pasher (26)
8.    Dixon (31)
9.    Galvis (23)
10.    McKendry (27)
11.    Haworth (31)

Defensive Mid:
1.    Piette (26)
2.    Bernier (41)
3.    Teibert (28)
4.    Kaye (26)
5.    Johnson (33)
6.    Awuah (25)

Central Mid:
1.    Arfield (32)
2.    Osorio (28)
3.    Chapman (26)
4.    Froese (24)
5.    Hutchinson (37) (? or he would be higher)
6.    Choinière (23)
7.    Charlie Trafford (28)
8.    Bekker (30)

Mid/Wing:
1.    Hoilett (30)
2.    Davies (20)
3.    Edwards (25)
4.    Ricketts (33)
5.    Akindele (28)
6.    Bustos (24)
7.    Fisk (27)

Striker/Forward:
1.    Larin (25)
2.    Cavallini (28)
3.    Jackson-Hamel (27)
4.    Hamilton (24)
5.    Haber (31)
6.    Jackson (33)

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

It took a while for it to sink in, and I know it has been brought up in various threads, but we don't play a competitively meaningful game for like 2 years.

Fuck me. 

2019 is going to be a huge year.

Gold Cup 2019

World Cup qualifier 2019

2019 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship

2019 CONCACAF Cup ( if we win 2019 gold cup)

2019 CONCACAF U-20 Championship

2019 CONCACAF U-17 Championship

2019 Pan American Games

2019 Copa America ( if we get invited)

can the CSA put together something meaningful like maybe an arctic  cup like before the World Cup or after? 

Canada

Denmark

Finland

Iceland

Norway

Russia

Sweden

United States

possible France and Greenland 

Edited by SpecialK

50 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

2019 is going to be a huge year.

Gold Cup 2019

World Cup qualifier 2019

2019 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying Championship

2019 CONCACAF Cup ( if we win 2019 gold cup)

2019 CONCACAF U-20 Championship

2019 CONCACAF U-17 Championship

2019 Copa America ( if we get invited)

can the CSA put together something meaningful like maybe an arctic  cup like before the World Cup or after? 

Canada

Denmark

Finland

Iceland

Norway

Russia

Sweden

United States

possible France and Greenland 

The first two definitely make it a big year, especially with the Olympics tossed in.  But a couple are just annual championships, and a couple are things we may not/probably won't be in.  Since we have WCQ and Gold Cup, I am not sure CSA would seek a Copa invite.   Maybe, but it is a lot of travel and a lot of guys spending time away from clubs in one year.  And I am not banking on the games unlocked by winning the GC.

Question re the Olympics - is it a cap-tying tourney?  I think it is basically u-23, so I suspect not.  If it wasn't, it would be interesting to see if some of the young fence-sitters would want to play for us if they knew it wasn't a binding decision.  Prob a long shot, but it would give players like that a chance to play in a high level tournament.  It may not be the WC, but playing in any sport at the Olympics has to be pretty damn cool - That may be enticing enough to get people to dip their toe in the Canadian player pool.

i guess the risk is that you would potentially give them even greater exposure to the other team that they could play for.

Edit - plus I suppose that is one less slot for someone committed to the program.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

I hope Canada gets an invite to COPA, it would do wonders for the program. Look at how much respect the US got after their run. Oz says Canada needs to play, Top teams, like Brazil,  Argentina, Chile,  Ecuador, Columbia , Venezuela and more.  Also the players are sitting on fence are top end talent and I'm sure they want to play against the best and play in huge tournaments like COPA and the World Cup.

Edited by SpecialK

4 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

CONCACAF President Victor Montaglianistated that the purpose of the competition was to have a regular schedule of international fixtures for CONCACAF's national teams noting that some teams play less than 10 games in a four year period and needed more competitives games to assist the sport's development in those nations.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Nations_League

aha yes I know that. I was just mentioning it as some people are forgeting it will likely be started in the next year

Edited by Guest

Concacaf nations league - I understand  The premise and the importance of lower resourced football nations to get to play Friendlies but in my opinion and who am I , I'm just a Canadian fan,  I Believe it's gonna hurt Canada.  Canada needs to  start playing against the worlds best.  If we want to go anywhere in football, we need good results against the top 40 (  good result means ties as well and even close losses ).  Also we have players that are currently not playing for Canada who are playing in the best leagues in the world we have to show them that Canada is a real option for them, not just pray and wish for them to play.  Players that are at a high calibre want to play against the best,  Play in major tournaments like the World Cup, like the Olympics, like the youth world cups, like Copa America 

Also the amount of money that the CSA can get by putting on a big Friendlies is something to really think about.  Yes they're expensive to put on  big friendlies but the return can be fantastic. We  have 3 major  stadiums at 50,000+ It's time  to filll  them!

Also it's time to spend  some money and get some real profile  professional coaches for our youth 17 and 20 teams.  Failure is not an option anymore. We are hosting the World Cup in 2026 we cannot be embarrassed, if so it's going to put Canada soccer back. We will a laughing stock. No more dicking around with gale and ex players.  Ex players  and amateur coaches are good but to put them as an assistant coach or mentor coach or advisor.  I want coaches that have coach professional before and they're out there and even  Canadian if that's a must.

Also,  The CSA needs to  create an COUNCIL OF EXCELLENCE, YOUTH ADVISORY COUNCIL and  scouting department. 

These  people below need to be part of the CSA  in some form. ASAP.

Ralph Krueger ( Canadian)- chairman, Southampton F.C.

Karren Brady ( married to Former Canadian player) - vice chair, West Ham

Snežana Borjan ( Milan Borjan's wife) - former marketing  Director of FK Partizan

Jim Brennan ( former Canadian star ) - former assistant general manager/scout Toronto FC

Mark Cohon -  former CFL commissioner 

Darcy Norman (Canadian)- Director of Performance, As Roma and  German national team 

Edited by SpecialK

29 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Concacaf nations league - I understand  The premise and the importance of lower resourced football nations to get to play Friendlies but in my opinion and who am I , I'm just a Canadian fan,  I Believe it's gonna hurt Canada.  Canada needs to  start playing against the worlds best.  If we want to go anywhere in football, we need good results against the top 40 (  good result means ties as well and even close losses ).  

Well, since the UEFA Nations League is being introduced soon, all UEFA countries are basically going to be completely devoid of FIFA dates for friendlies. The length of WWC in South America means that they have very few dates for friendlies, and why would Brazil or Argentina want to face us in friendlies anyways? There just isn't going to be opportunities to play top 50 teams in the world outside of CONCACAF.

So why not play the top teams in CONCACAF more often? I think the league makes a ton of sense if we can consistently stay in the top division. You don't get to be the 7th or 8th best team in your region and cry about the level of completion within the region. If we want chances at the world's best teams we need show that we are valuable competition by beating Mexico and the US.

Edited by harrycoyster

My number one thing for Canada is more games are to be played at every opportunity possible. Just more games and Nation Leagues will help, but it would be great to also play top teams from outside ConCaCaf as well. Just more games, more game , more games, and more games.

Also more Media push from CSA for all their National soccer teams....

7 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Concacaf nations league - I understand  The premise and the importance of lower resourced football nations to get to play Friendlies but in my opinion and who am I , I'm just a Canadian fan,  I Believe it's gonna hurt Canada.  Canada needs to  start playing against the worlds best.  If we want to go anywhere in football, we need good results against the top 40 (  good result means ties as well and even close losses ).  Also we have players that are currently not playing for Canada who are playing in the best leagues in the world we have to show them that Canada is a real option for them, not just pray and wish for them to play.  Players that are at a high calibre want to play against the best,  Play in major tournaments like the World Cup, like the Olympics, like the youth world cups, like Copa America 

Also the amount of money that the CSA can get by putting on a big Friendlies is something to really think about.  Yes they're expensive to put on  big friendlies but the return can be fantastic. We  have 3 major  stadiums at 50,000+ It's time  to filll  them!

Also it's time to spend  some money and get some real profile  professional coaches for our youth 17 and 20 teams.  Failure is not an option anymore. We are hosting the World Cup in 2026 we cannot be embarrassed, if so it's going to put Canada soccer back. We will a laughing stock. No more dicking around with gale and ex players.  Ex players  and amateur coaches are good but to put them as an assistant coach or mentor coach or advisor.  I want coaches that have coach professional before and they're out there and even  Canadian if that's a must.

Also,  The CSA needs to  create an COUNCIL OF EXCELLENCE, YOUTH ADVISORY COUNCIL and  scouting department. 

These  people below need to be part of the CSA  in some form. ASAP.

Ralph Krueger ( Canadian)- chairman, Southampton F.C.

Karren Brady ( married to Former Canadian player) - vice chair, West Ham

Snežana Borjan ( Milan Borjan's wife) - former marketing  Director of FK Partizan

Jim Brennan ( former Canadian star ) - former assistant general manager/scout Toronto FC

Mark Cohon -  former CFL commissioner 

Darcy Norman (Canadian)- Director of Performance, As Roma and  German national team 

Canada's u20 team had favourable performances against England in 2 staright games and they didn't qualify out of their region. Playing against top 40 opposition doesn't do shit if you can't figure out how to beat teams from your own confederation

5 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Canada's u20 team had favourable performances against England in 2 staright games and they didn't qualify out of their region. Playing against top 40 opposition doesn't do shit if you can't figure out how to beat teams from your own confederation

But we are not going get our top end talent playing against our confederation. Concacaf is a joke to the world. Hey Cristante, Ferreira, Gutierrez  come and play for Canada. We are going to play Honduras,El Salvador , Jamaica,Bermuda, Saint Kitts,  Barbadoes, Haiti and Panama a 100 times. So exciting  eh ? Oh ps. Watch out for the bags of piss and the horrible fields that might  destroy your legs and ruin your career. 

It's funny, if you look at Canada record against top 50 nations, it's not bad, there's not a lot wins but close games and ties though. Interesting 

20 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Canada's u20 team had favourable performances against England in 2 staright games and they didn't qualify out of their region

A lot of the players who played against England, didn't play for Canada in the concacaf u20  championship 

1 minute ago, SpecialK said:

But we are not going get our top end talent playing against our confederation. Concacaf is a joke to the world. Hey Cristante, Ferreira, Gutierrez  come and play for Canada. We are going to play Honduras,El Salvador , Jamaica,Bermuda, Saint Kitts,  Barbadoes, Haiti and Panama a 100 times. So exciting  eh ? Oh ps. Watch out for the bags of piss and the horrible fields that might  destroy your legs and ruin your career. 

It's funny, if you look at Canada record against top 50 nations, it's not bad, there's not a lot wins but close games and ties though. Interesting 

If those players don't want to play in CONCACAF. Why would they want to participate in WCQ?