General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

Canada if we qualify for Qatar, then here is hoping we don't have to take part in qualifying for 2026 considering we are hosting the damn thing. They still haven't confirmed yet if we get an automatic qualification spot. I wonder what is taking so long for FIFA to confirm if whether or not Canada, USA and Mexico get automatic qualification into 2026?

34 minutes ago, ADP10 said:

Honduras hasn’t gotten a win yet and their home record is poor. At the very minimum I want us to come out of that game with a draw despite them being our bogey team. Two of the easiest away games come from this window, so we need to get atleast 1 win from the two

Yep when I think about Honduras away I don't even think about 8-1, the last time we went there we lost 2-1 and didn't look bad. And now they've gotten worse and we've gotten better.

And AFAIK the fans are pissed with the team and the federation.

3 hours ago, pod818 said:

we've already slayed many dragons this WCQ. We tied USA away. We got a result in Azteca. We beat the Mexicans at home. I don't see any reason why this team can't go down to Central America and slay a few more dragons. This team has the capacity to do it

Well, for one reason they don't have dragons in Central America. They have iguanas.

Joking aside, I agree with you 100%.

8 minutes ago, P-O said:

Really hoping Camacho stays with Montreal or in the worst case go to Vancouver or Toronto.

He is that close to be Canadian and I believe he would be an upgrade in defence alongside Vitoria for the national team.

Don't see him going anywhere. Been a huge season from him. He would add to our depth. Not convinced he would start for Canada. That said, plenty of games he has looked the best CB for Montreal and Miller gets games. We might be able to play the entire Montreal back line in January!

9 minutes ago, P-O said:

Really hoping Camacho stays with Montreal or in the worst case go to Vancouver or Toronto.

He is that close to be Canadian and I believe he would be an upgrade in defence alongside Vitoria for the national team.

At 30 years old he isn’t really a player I am interested in.  Is an MLS journeymen CB really someone we need to recruit?   

1 hour ago, P-O said:

Having watched Camacho since he came into the league, I would say he isn't an upgrade to Vitoria. Maybe Henry. It all depends on which one hss the least brain farts.

32 minutes ago, P-O said:

Never said he was an upgrade on Vitoria.

I think he is an upgrade on players both side of him.

Can play a diagonal they can't.

So you mean an upgrade over Johnston and Miller? 

I’m sorry but even though he’s been good this year, never in a million years I would swap Camacho for one of those two. One of the strongest thing about our back 3 (Miller/Vittoria/Johnston) is the fact that they play mostly  mistake free, Camacho is the opposite of mistake free. As a Montreal fan I trust him less than Doneil in that regard. I’ll gladly take a couple less diagonals for the coolness of Johnston and Miller. 

Here is the statistics for Canada so far in the Octagon.

Player Team Age Starts

Sub Appearance

Unused Sub Minutes Goals  Assits
Stephen Eustaquio Pacos 24 7 1   635   1
Alistair Johnston Nashville 23 7 1   635    
Richie Laryea Toronto 26 7     611   2
Alphonso Davies Bayern Munich 21 7     599 1 3
Kamal Miller Montreal 24 6 1 1 568    
Jonathan David  Lille 21 6 2   549 3 2
Tajon Buchanan New England 22 6 1   520 2 1
Steven Vitoria Moreirense 34 5 1 1 503    
Sam Adekugbe Hatayspor 26 4 3 1 431    
Mark-Anthony Kaye Colorado 26 4 2 2 338    
Jonathan Osorio Toronto 29 4 3 1 317 1  
Atiba Hutchinson Besiktas 38 3 2   282 1  
Cyle Larin Besiktas 26 3 1 1 252 4  
Doneil Henry Suwon 28 3   5 217    
Junior Hoilett Reading 31 2 1 1 167    
Liam Millar Basel 22 2 1 2 148    
Samuel Piette Montreal 27 1 2 5 105    
David Wotherspoon St. Johnstone 31 1 2 4 105    
Derek Cornelius Panetolikos 23 1   4 90    
Scott Kennedy Regensburg 24 1 1 1 62    
Liam Fraser Columbus 23   2 4 15    
Charles-Andreas Brym FC Eindhoven 23   3   14    
Lucas Cavallini Vancouver 28   2 2 13    
Jacob Shaffelburg Toronto 21   2 1 10    
Ike Ugbo Genk 23   1 1 7    
Zachary Brault-Guiillard Montreal 22     3 0    
              GA  
Milan Borjn Red Star 34 5     450 3  
Maxime Crepeau Vancouver 27 3   5 270 2  
James Pantemis Montreal 24     8 0    
Dayne St. Clair Minnesota 24     3 0    
Edited by Stryker911

Thanks.   just wondering,  there are only 7 assists credited in the whole 8 games.   There has to be more than that.   How did Laryea not get credited with an assist on that first goal that Atiba scored against El Salvador?

Edited by Free kick

Even though those guys on ESPN FC still aren't quite giving our guys enough credit, they have come a lot closer than they did back in 2019 when we beat USA.

And to be fair, it doesn't seem to just be anti-Canadian. Gomez was still giving the crown to Mexico despite them not winning anything this year. Admittedly, all 3 of their losses to the USA came in the USA, but it still doesn't make them look like the best in CONCACAF.

16 hours ago, Kent said:

Even though those guys on ESPN FC still aren't quite giving our guys enough credit, they have come a lot closer than they did back in 2019 when we beat USA.

And to be fair, it doesn't seem to just be anti-Canadian. Gomez was still giving the crown to Mexico despite them not winning anything this year. Admittedly, all 3 of their losses to the USA came in the USA, but it still doesn't make them look like the best in CONCACAF.

I can only imagine the guys like Stevie Nicol, Craig Burley, Shaka Hislop, Sebastian Salazar, Herculez Gomez, and company especially if Canada qualify 

12 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I can only imagine the guys like Stevie Nicol, Craig Burley, Shaka Hislop, Sebastian Salazar, Herculez Gomez, and company especially if Canada qualify 

Herc Gomez has been giving Canada lots of credit the last two international breaks.  Seems genuinely impressed with the skill on the team 

5 minutes ago, Weng said:

Herc Gomez has been giving Canada lots of credit the last two international breaks.  Seems genuinely impressed with the skill on the team 

The other guys are mostly useless.  The guys on Paramount and MLS are much better than the ESPN crew.  Gomez has been good in English and Spanish since the start.  

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Sportsnet seem to be moving their CMNT coverage more mainstream since they got the Ocho games and the team's starting to make noise. Stories on both the Daves' club matches in the CL this morning on the main page.

image.png.7189fce9dac0ada288881fdae6eeef68.png

And if Canada qualify for Qatar, all our World Cup games won't just be on CTV or on TSN but they most likely would be on Sportsnet too

Because I know for Qatar 2022, as far as Canadian broadcasting rights, CTV and TSN have exclusive rights but I can see Sportsnet wanting in on it too

3 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

And if Canada qualify for Qatar, all our World Cup games won't just be on CTV or on TSN but they most likely would be on Sportsnet too

Because I know for Qatar 2022, as far as Canadian broadcasting rights, CTV and TSN have exclusive rights but I can see Sportsnet wanting in on it too

TSN: This is outstanding. Our millions of dollars invested in the rights for the World Cup is going to be massive for us now that Canada has qualified. This could be our most watched World Cup ever in Canada!
<phone rings>
TSN: Hello?
Sportsnet: Hi TSN.
TSN: Hi Sportsnet, what's up?
Sportsnet: Not sure if you saw the news, but Canada qualified for the World Cup. We'd love to steal millions of your viewers, so can we also show the games?
TSN: Yeah sure, I don't see why not.