General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

20 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

We may be missing Borjan and Hoilett for this game, although not confirmed.

Wouldn't be a big loss tbh. Give Crepeau a game and keep Borjan down south. As for Junior, it could hurt a bit more depending how JH wants to line up vs the US but I think he would be at best a sub for that game and he'll start a game down south (if fit). 

34 minutes ago, Ngravs said:

Wouldn't be a big loss tbh. Give Crepeau a game and keep Borjan down south. As for Junior, it could hurt a bit more depending how JH wants to line up vs the US but I think he would be at best a sub for that game and he'll start a game down south (if fit). 

Out of season Crepeau is a step down from Borjan, pre-camp or no camp.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

unvaccinated Canadian citizens would have to test and quarantine until they receive a negative result so not really practical 

I don't say this to question your interpretation of the law (mandate?), but just want to point out this flaw...

Why not test everyone regardless of vaccine status? Being vaccinated lowers your chance of testing positive, but it's not zero. If you're trying to prevent spread, shouldn't the test be the gold standard, not the vaccine?

It seems like they have it backwards, if you know what I mean.

If you are going to put the regulation in place, at least make it as tight as possible. Otherwise, it kind of pointless.

This would make the availability of Hoilett and Borjan a non-issue. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't say this to question your interpretation of the law (mandate?), but just want to point out this flaw...

Why not test everyone regardless of vaccine status? Being vaccinated lowers your chance of testing positive, but it's not zero. If you're trying to prevent spread, shouldn't the test be the gold standard, not the vaccine?

It seems like they have it backwards, if you know what I mean.

If you are going to put the regulation in place, at least make it as tight as possible. Otherwise, it kind of pointless.

This would make the availability of Hoilett and Borjan a non-issue. 

Logistically, there is a massive difference between scanning a vac pass and administering a COVID test, sending it to the lab, processing the hundreds of thousands of tests (and having them slow down all ongoing testing measures) and then following up with those tested.  

There is a saying - “don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good”.  The current approach may not be perfect, but it shouldn’t be abandoned just because it isn’t the perfect solution.   It may in fact be optimal give other considerations such as resources, risk assessments, economic interests, etc. 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Logistically, there is a massive difference between scanning a vac pass and administering a COVID test, sending it to the lab, processing the hundreds of thousands of tests (and having them slow down all ongoing testing measures) and then following up with those tested.  

There is a saying - “don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good”.  The current approach may not be perfect, but it shouldn’t be abandoned just because it isn’t the perfect solution.   It may in fact be optimal give other considerations such as resources, risk assessments, economic interests, etc. 

Yeah I am aware of that saying, but there is a difference between "good" and "subpar". 

Good would be testing everybody, that wouldn't even be perfect since testing is not perfect.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I am aware of that saying, but there is a difference between "good" and "subpar". 

Good would be testing everybody, that wouldn't even be perfect since testing is not perfect.

Ok.  Won’t derail the thread by debating whether or not current and planned measures are “subpar”. 

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ok.  Won’t derail the thread by debating whether or not current and planned measures are “subpar”. 

That's a good idea, since there's not much of a debate to be had around whether it's a subpar measure or not. 

The recent developments at Spurs should be a reminder to Herdman and the CSA that things can go fucky really quick. They need to be on their A game as far as team protocols.

This window presents the biggest risk, both because it will take place in prime Covid season, and because of the extended Camp Poutine beforehand. What might otherwise be a limited number of cases in a weeklong window has the potential to be much more devastating over an extended timeframe. I don’t even know if CONCACF has contingencies in place to play games cancelled due to Covid. When would they even find time? There is the looming unpleasant hypothetical of having to forfeit a game or games.

Among other things, proof of vaccination should be non-negotiable for Camp Poutine at a minimum, and hopefully for the full camp as well. If the rumours are true, someone needs to tell Borjan and Hoilett to get their heads out of their asses. Chances are they’ll be required by Qatar to be vaccinated anyways.

16 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

The recent developments at Spurs should be a reminder to Herdman and the CSA that things can go fucky really quick. They need to be on their A game as far as team protocols.

This window presents the biggest risk, both because it will take place in prime Covid season, and because of the extended Camp Poutine beforehand. What might otherwise be a limited number of cases in a weeklong window has the potential to be much more devastating over an extended timeframe. I don’t even know if CONCACF has contingencies in place to play games cancelled due to Covid. When would they even find time? There is the looming unpleasant hypothetical of having to forfeit a game or games.

Among other things, proof of vaccination should be non-negotiable for Camp Poutine at a minimum, and hopefully for the full camp as well. If the rumours are true, someone needs to tell Borjan and Hoilett to get their heads out of their asses. Chances are they’ll be required by Qatar to be vaccinated anyways.

How many players involved with the Spurs outbreak were unvaccinated? 

16 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Can a mod please shuffle this stuff off to the Covid thread (including this post from me)?

The players are individuals, and we as fans have less than zero cause for questioning their personal, private medical choices. Borjan and Hoilett don't have to do a darn thing to their body if they don't feel the need to do so, and to suggest that they 'need to get their heads out of their asses' and roll up their sleeves is wrong on many levels - especially from the perspective of a sport fan.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just saw this on FB.  Pretty crazy times we are living in. 

74F4A281-486D-41C0-8C80-0CBE89F54C39.jpeg

How does Canada jumping 38 spots compare to when say we see a smaller country jump from say 190-200 rank to 150ish, do they need as many point to do that? Every once and while you see a jump like that in the lower half of the FIFA counties. Great to see for the Maple Leaf !!

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

3 of these are WNT (and deservedly so) but how many years have we had following this team without a single moment even close to any of these? 

I mean, no disrespect to CWNT, but Davies' goal against Panama ranks in the top 3 Canada soccer moments of all time - it was that enormous, magical, spectacular, nation-inspiring - you name it.  Putting it as number 4 in 2021 just does not do justice to it, sorry.  Imho.

1 minute ago, GasPed said:

I mean, no disrespect to CWNT, but Davies' goal against Panama ranks in the top 3 Canada soccer moments of all time - it was that enormous, magical, spectacular, nation-inspiring - you name it.  Putting it as number 4 in 2021 just does not do justice to it, sorry.  Imho.

Probably fair, but was it bigger than the win(s) in Edmonton?

I'd combine #1 and 2 into a single "moment" (they were being loose with that definition) and go with:

1. Olympic gold win including Labbe penalty heroics

2. Iceteca vs Mexico

3. Alphonso

4. Canada beats USA in Olympic semfinal.

Just now, jonovision said:

Probably fair, but was it bigger than the win(s) in Edmonton?

I'd combine #1 and 2 into a single "moment" (they were being loose with that definition) and go with:

1. Olympic gold win including Labbe penalty heroics

2. Iceteca vs Mexico

3. Alphonso

4. Canada beats USA in Olympic semfinal.

I think it may well depend on your definition of moment.  My definition would be much more single point in time than accomplishment.  Also my definition of "top" moment would be just how special and momentous that single point in time was.  So then, for 2021, my top moments would be:

1. Davies - Panama (two words and everyone knows what you're talking about)

2. Cyle Larin - 2nd Iceteca goal (incl. Sam's snow dive)

3. Julia Grosso - Gold medal winning PK

4. Jessie Fleming - PK for win over US in Olympics

5. Steph Labbe - Save on Andersson sudden death PK in gold medal game

Of course it's all very subjective - and clearly I'm ranking the men's moments over the women's for subjective reasons (since objectively, the women's accomplishments were very special).  Actually, I'd better not say anything more, other than those are my rankings, fwiw.  😉

I also wanted to say that, as the CMNT progress higher up the food chain, our previous critical moments seem less and less important.  Remember how important it felt to run up the score on Aruba and finally show that we could crush a minnow?  And after that how important it felt to beat Suriname and make it out of the group?  And after that how important it felt to beat Haiti and make the Octo?  And after that how important it felt to tie the USA away?...  As the team progresses, we keep creating bigger moments.  If we make the world cup, the current big moments in WCQ will also feel less important.  For the women, however, nothing they do will ever make the Olympic gold medal feel less important.  That's why I rate it above the men's WCQ moments, as important as the latter are.  The women hit a pinnacle in the sport, while the men are still climbing and the view on their accomplishments keeps changing.

7 hours ago, rkomar said:

I also wanted to say that, as the CMNT progress higher up the food chain, our previous critical moments seem less and less important.  Remember how important it felt to run up the score on Aruba and finally show that we could crush a minnow?  And after that how important it felt to beat Suriname and make it out of the group?  And after that how important it felt to beat Haiti and make the Octo?  And after that how important it felt to tie the USA away?...  As the team progresses, we keep creating bigger moments.  If we make the world cup, the current big moments in WCQ will also feel less important.  For the women, however, nothing they do will ever make the Olympic gold medal feel less important.  That's why I rate it above the men's WCQ moments, as important as the latter are.  The women hit a pinnacle in the sport, while the men are still climbing and the view on their accomplishments keeps changing.

I am not even going to try to defend or explain my choices.  No, I'm just... ...no.  However, I do appreciate your explanation - it's good.

I Believe we take the women accomplishment for granted since they have always been top 10.

While the men used to be 110th in the world a few years back and qualifying for the world cup was only a dream in my mind.

Women winning the Olympics was always a possibility, while being first in the Octogon after 8 matches would have been a good joke.

3 minutes ago, P-O said:

I Believe we take the women accomplishment for granted since they have always been top 10.

While the men used to be 110th in the world a few years back and qualifying for the world cup was only a dream in my mind.

Women winning the Olympics was always a possibility, while being first in the Octogon after 8 matches would have been a good joke.

Not just in your mind.