Stephen Eustaquio

I'd say Pacos are lucky to be down 1-0, but Porto haven't been impressive. This has been a pretty sloppy game with a lot of disjointed play through the middle and lots of lunging tackles in central areas.

Stephen hasn't had a strong half, made a few passes off-target or into traffic that lost possession and has been on the wrong side of the ball for a lot of Porto counter-attacks. Also picked up a yellow. Still, a lot of the forward play has gone through him and you can see his talent for one-touch passing. He's not shy about pressing into space but as I said his positioning hasn't been great. However, the team doesn't seem to be re-shaping very well and Porto appear to be deliberately flooding the middle so that's not just him.

Pacos have gotten deep with possession but made the wrong choices and haven't had any clear-cut chances.

Edited by Lansdude

He really seems to be good in distribution, more so than our other DM’s.  Those quick passes are pretty good looking.  I know we only see the highlights but what’s his passing accuracy overall?

I don’t see him as as good at tackling compared to Piette and and Kaye at this point.

If we played a 2 holding midfielder setup like a 4-2-3-1 he would be a really great starter for us.

Also a 4-2-3-1 is really the only formation that we could play Davies at LB- having a holding midfielder slide to cover his runs and still having a midfielder to screen- like Kimmich does.

I wonder if Piette/Kaye and Eustaquio could be an effective back pair?  

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

He really seems to be good in distribution, more so than our other DM’s.  Those quick passes are pretty good looking.  I know we only see the highlights but what’s his passing accuracy overall?

I don’t see him as as good at tackling compared to Piette and and Kaye at this point.

If we played a 2 holding midfielder setup like a 4-2-3-1 he would be a really great starter for us.

Also a 4-2-3-1 is really the only formation that we could play Davies at LB- having a holding midfielder slide to cover his runs and still having a midfielder to screen- like Kimmich does.

I wonder if Piette/Kaye and Eustaquio could be an effective back pair?  

I like the 4-2-3-1 formation but couldnt a 3-5-2 formation also work with Davies at wingback?

Osorio also looked good in a double pivot with Delgado early on this season. He can really play any role in the midfield. 

I feel like Kaye, Arfield and Osorio are the best three mids in our talent pool. I think they could all play together. 

I know it is hard to tell much from 3 second highlights but he really does seem to look to get the ball forward quickly.  I don’t want to criticize Piette because I like him and he has always been a great destroyer for us, but his passes tend to go sideways or backwards.  Someone who quickly transitions into offence could be pretty deadly with the speedy attackers we have.  

18 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know it is hard to tell much from 3 second highlights but he really does seem to look to get the ball forward quickly.  I don’t want to criticize Piette because I like him and he has always been a great destroyer for us, but his passes tend to go sideways or backwards.  Someone who quickly transitions into offence could be pretty deadly with the speedy attackers we have.  

different type of players for different situations/game plans

18 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

different type of players for different situations/game plans

I get that, but if Eustaquio is close to Piette in terms of defensive stability, the constant threat of a quick-release counter attack would keep opposing teams a bit more cautious - even if defence is our primary objective in a game.   

Ultimately, I just have a feeling that we may be a more challenging opponent with Stephen in the side.  

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Playing now.  Pacos v. Vitoria Setubal.

Stream: https://elixx.me/porto.html

Thanks for that.  Caught most of the second half.  Pacos gets the win with Stephen going the distance.   He had a nice defensive play when they were down a goal, and quickly turned it into a solid offensive opportunity.   I haven’t watched much Liga NOS but if he is playing at this level consistently I think he will be a lock for a spot in our starting 11 fairly quickly.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Thanks for that.  Caught most of the second half.  Pacos gets the win with Stephen going the distance.   He had a nice defensive play when they were down a goal, and quickly turned it into a solid offensive opportunity.   I haven’t watched much Liga NOS but if he is playing at this level consistently I think he will be a lock for a spot in our starting 11 fairly quickly.  

Yes. Extremely tidy player. Also noticed today that he is very much a leader in his team. How can I put this... he loudly provided passionate "constructive criticism" to his team mates when goals were given up. Good to see from a young player. 

17 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Yes. Extremely tidy player. Also noticed today that he is very much a leader in his team. How can I put this... he loudly provided passionate "constructive criticism" to his team mates when goals were given up. Good to see from a young player. 

Don't make them like this man...got to admire that

On 7/1/2020 at 2:30 PM, dyslexic nam said:

I get that, but if Eustaquio is close to Piette in terms of defensive stability, the constant threat of a quick-release counter attack would keep opposing teams a bit more cautious - even if defence is our primary objective in a game.   

Ultimately, I just have a feeling that we may be a more challenging opponent with Stephen in the side.  

If there's a fifty-fifty ball and you want the other player carried out on a stretcher, then Piette's your guy but in virtually all other parts of the game, Eustaquio is a better player.

9 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

If there's a fifty-fifty ball and you want the other player carried out on a stretcher, then Piette's your guy but in virtually all other parts of the game, Eustaquio is a better player.

You can run both if you want a double pivot defensive midfield but I think you use one or the other in different situations.

10 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Odd that he puts up these highlight reels of himself so quickly after every single  match.

Have no idea what Herdman is thinking but for me I start Stephen over Sam as long as he’s fit...Sam is a nice sub option if we’re protecting a lead 

It may not be that common but I don’t find it odd.  These guys are footy players first, but they are also brand promoters (their own) and PR machines.  Recognition is a big deal in pro sports so it isn’t surprising that he promotes himself.  

I can see Piette going back to the role he had in 2015 vs. Honduras.  At that time we had a midfield three of Hutchinson, JDG and Johnson so there wasn't room for him.

Now, we have Eustaquio, Arfield, Kaye, Osorio and maybe Hutchinson.  I'd still always want him off the bench even with those options - he's just such a spark.

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It may not be that common but I don’t find it odd.  These guys are footy players first, but they are also brand promoters (their own) and PR machines.  Recognition is a big deal in pro sports so it isn’t surprising that he promotes himself.  

I agree completely, he’s using social media to further his own career. Throw together a highlight reel for each game and if a club is interested in him, they’ll be watching it because teams will not have a scout at each game with the Covid situation going on.