Stephen Eustaquio

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Porto still go into Champions League qualifying if they come third. The first two go directly into the group stages. Just saying that they could still be back at the top of European competition.

That's a big IF though. Braga are breathing down their necks and Porto has been trending in the wrong direction for a while now. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up in the 4th spot (Conference?) or worse, out of Europe all together. That would certainly be something......

Let's keep in mind they have the Club World Cup at the tail end of next season. I am not wishing for Porto to miss out on Europe next season all together, but it would allow them to fully concentrate on winning back the league title, plus it would keep them relatively fresh for the Club World Cup. 

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's a big IF though. Braga are breathing down their necks and Porto has been trending in the wrong direction for a while now. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up in the 4th spot (Conference?) or worse, out of Europe all together. That would certainly be something......

Let's keep in mind they have the Club World Cup at the tail end of next season. I am not wishing for Porto to miss out on Europe next season all together, but it would allow them to fully concentrate on winning back the league title, plus it would keep them relatively fresh for the Club World Cup. 

I think four and five go to Europa League, plus the Cup winner. Then if the Cup winner is Sporting, they add a spot for Europa League to the league table. 

If Porto are 3rd and go to Champions qualifying, but fall out, they drop into Europa League

2025 Club World Cup: one of the consequences of Barça not getting to semis in Champions is that we are not qualified, we are not going to the event. Huge loss for the competition, imo, and for Barça's finances. The event seems set up to be a windfall for all participating clubs, will be for Porto as well.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think four and five go to Europa League, plus the Cup winner. Then if the Cup winner is Sporting, they add a spot for Europa League to the league table. 

If Porto are 3rd and go to Champions qualifying, but fall out, they drop into Europa League

2025 Club World Cup: one of the consequences of Barça not getting to semis in Champions is that we are not qualified, we are not going to the event. Huge loss for the competition, imo, and for Barça's finances. The event seems set up to be a windfall for all participating clubs, will be for Porto as well.

They are 7th ranked for this season so:

1-2 - Champions League, ladder stage or 3rd qualifying

3 and Cup winner - Europa League

4 (or 5) - Conference League

Nobody is left in Europe so they can't add anything to that. 

They are not getting Champions League. 5 games left including Sporting and Braga and 11 points back.  As @Obinna mentioned Braga (and Vitoria) have a much better chance of catching them. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They are 7th ranked for this season so:

1-2 - Champions League, ladder stage or 3rd qualifying

3 and Cup winner - Europa League

4 (or 5) - Conference League

Nobody is left in Europe so they can't add anything to that. 

They are not getting Champions League. 5 games left including Sporting and Braga and 11 points back.  As @Obinna mentioned Braga (and Vitoria) have a much better chance of catching them. 

Thanks, I must have looked at a previous year's version of how to qualify for Europe out of Portugal.

Not sure I would worry about Porto’s standings with regards to Eustaquio’s prospects of European ball. I would think/hope he finds himself at a club willing to start him every week next year and think he has enough of a market to make that happen. Porto will definitely sell one of their young mids, but I would imagine someone else will take their place once it happens.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not sure I would worry about Porto’s standings with regards to Eustaquio’s prospects of European ball. I would think/hope he finds himself at a club willing to start him every week next year and think he has enough of a market to make that happen. Porto will definitely sell one of their young mids, but I would imagine someone else will take their place once it happens.

Well, if they fall out Europe and lose the cup, maybe they have a different manager (and sell the kids). 

54 minutes ago, masster said:

Conceicao is not leaving. In fact, he has his contract extended.

https://www.fcporto.pt/pt/noticias/20240425-pt-fc-porto-e-sergio-conceicao-prolongam-contrato

This is just a cynical move on the part of Pinto da Costa, since elections for the presidency are Saturday and they say they'll be the closest since he was first elected in the 80s. 

The idea is to force the hand of other candidates two days before a vote, since the logical sentiment is to fire him, not renew him. 

This way anyone coming in will be obliged to deal with a hefty severance compensation if they want to get rid of him. 

I recall speaking to a certain former Canadian youth international at Porto who told me that Pinto da Costa basically wanted to be his agent, control his contracts, and make money off him, while still a teen. And when he refused, he was benched. For many he is the guy responsible for making Porto competitive against perennial Benfica, giving it a powerhouse status it did not formerly have. For many others, a guy who has installed corrupt ways of doing things at the club. I think there are plenty, as well, who agree with both of those versions. 

Today is the anniversary of the Carnation Revolution that did away with the dictatorship in the 70s, the story is truly fascinating. Congratulations to all freedom-loving Portuguese here.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just got back from Portugal, was in a sports shop and had a 130 EUR Porto shirt in hand, and last minute put it back. Would've been a lot more happy to grab something if Porto didn't staple their best midfielder to the bench, but alas, when he goes to Braga (or something) next year, I will be there waiting.

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Just got back from Portugal, was in a sports shop and had a 130 EUR Porto shirt in hand, and last minute put it back. Would've been a lot more happy to grab something if Porto didn't staple their best midfielder to the bench, but alas, when he goes to Braga (or something) next year, I will be there waiting.

Would love to see him in a better/more easily watchable league, myself. 

45 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Would love to see him in a better/more easily watchable league, myself. 

100%. Looking at my streaming subscriptions right now, I'm very interested in a move to La Liga, Serie A., Ligue 1, or perhaps even one of the Turkish giants. Though if he does make his way up to West Ham, it may finally be time for me to start watching the premier league. I'm still without a team- if they play him, it might be all I need to become a West Ham guy.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think what is most likely is they'll offer him up on loan, which may be tough as he has a newborn and his wife is Portuguese, so he won't go just anywhere, he'll also be thinking about his family when making the move (true, with a newborn, a family should be fairly flexible).

Braga is in the vicinity of Porto right? Could probably go there on loan and keep everything in his personal life as is. The only thing would be if it's too far of a step down, but hey if Braga finish ahead of Porto....

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Braga is in the vicinity of Porto right? Could probably go there on loan and keep everything in his personal life as is. The only thing would be if it's too far of a step down, but hey if Braga finish ahead of Porto....

Wait to see who wins the elections and what they say about Conceiçao.

Anyways, to Braga: don't think they'd do that for a number of reasons. It'd mean having him too close, if he plays well you're strengthening a direct rival. Then, they may not have the salary structure to cover what he's paid. Then as you say, it appears a step down. 

Why not to a mid level Liga team? Like Sevilla, Getafe, Osasuna, a step up in terms of league and teams that can pay the loan, plus the right playing level.

I think if we have a good Copa with him shining he'll have lots of options.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyways, to Braga: don't think they'd do that for a number of reasons. It'd mean having him too close, if he plays well you're strengthening a direct rival. Then, they may not have the salary structure to cover what he's paid. Then as you say, it appears a step down. 

Why not to a mid level Liga team? Like Sevilla, Getafe, Osasuna, a step up in terms of league and teams that can pay the loan, plus the right playing level.

Would love him in La Liga at any of those clubs. It would be a natural transition of sorts as it'd keep him in Iberia. There'd be no worry of a direct rival getting benefit and it could actually be a prelude to a permanent transfer.

I was thinking in terms of keeping him put for the sake of family, but if he was looking at a small relocation, Spain would be the best bet. Of all those clubs, Sevilla would be the best for me. Historically better than mid-table, but struggling a bit in recent years, so maybe a nice entry point for Staq.

Didn't Porto recently do business with Sevilla with Jesus Corona as well?

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

Would love him in La Liga at any of those clubs. It would be a natural transition of sorts as it'd keep him in Iberia. There'd be no worry of a direct rival getting benefit and it could actually be a prelude to a permanent transfer.

I was thinking in terms of keeping him put for the sake of family, but if he was looking at a small relocation, Spain would be the best bet. Of all those clubs, Sevilla would be the best for me. Historically better than mid-table, but struggling a bit in recent years, so maybe a nice entry point for Staq.

Didn't Porto recently do business with Sevilla with Jesus Corona as well?

A lot of Spanish teams work with the Portuguese clubs, usually picking up players from the top 3. They also loan talented younger guys needing minutes to them. 

I don't know his salary, but I think considering where he came from, it might be a bit low. So that means it would not be an impediment for most midtable clubs, even lower table. The most "Portuguese" of the Spanish clubs is Celta Vigo, that region being Galicia, with close ties even with the Gallego language.

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As alluded to above, the contract extension for Conceicao was only valid under the President Pinto da Costa.  Now that Villas-Boas has won, he can terminate Conceicao’s extension and bring in a new manager if he chooses.  He may just keep Conceicao anyways.

Edited by Corazon