Stephen Eustaquio

On 8/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, Corazon said:

His highlights with Pacos since January.  He also included some highlights from the Canada game he came off the bench for.

Wow. I don't know if we've ever had a distributor with range like that in midfield. 

I'd really struggle to pick a midfield 3 right now with our options but have to think that Eustaquio and Hutchinson (if available/committed) are automatic. 

19 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Wow. I don't know if we've ever had a distributor with range like that in midfield. 

I'd really struggle to pick a midfield 3 right now with our options but have to think that Eustaquio and Hutchinson (if available/committed) are automatic. 

I would just start Eustaqiuo and hutch in a 3-4-3 and if hutch doesn't want to play I would start Kaye. 

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah it is very tough. It may also depend on how we play. Hutchinson may be the only automatic on the strength of his experience. The battle between Eustaquio and Piette will be interesting. Eustaquio may have the edge in technical ability, but Piette is effective and more experienced. It may depend on the opponent. I think we also potentially have Arfield, Osorio and Kaye all vying for 1 spot.

I think everyone else is firmly on the outside looking in.

The best of the rest is probably Teibert. I liked what I saw from him in MLS is Back. Chapman got some minutes with Miami too, so he is one to watch as well. Cannot forget Fraser as well. Okello is getting chances with Toronto now and Yankov could be in the mix, should he commit. 

Future is looking bright.

Just now, Mikmacdo said:

I would just start Eustaqiuo and hutch in a 3-4-3 and if hutch doesn't want to play I would start Kaye. 

I think Kaye and Eustaquio would be a fine pair. I imagine Eustaquio in the mold of Autesta. 

The question is, who is the Blessing

I do not know if Osorio has the same energy, but he sure does get around the park and is a better footballer overall...plus Oso and Eustaquio seemed to link up well against the USA.

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah it is very tough. It may also depend on how we play. Hutchinson may be the only automatic on the strength of his experience. The battle between Eustaquio and Piette will be interesting. Eustaquio may have the edge in technical ability, but Piette is effective and more experienced. It may depend on the opponent. I think we also potentially have Arfield, Osorio and Kaye all vying for 1 spot.

I think everyone else is firmly on the outside looking in.

The best of the rest is probably Teibert. I liked what I saw from him in MLS is Back. Chapman got some minutes with Miami too, so he is one to watch as well. Cannot forget Fraser as well. Okello is getting chances with Toronto now and Yankov could be in the mix, should he commit. 

Future is looking bright.

Piette for me, has shown his game has reached it's best. What does that mean? You know what you are getting from him. He's going to win tackles, protect the belly and thats pretty much it. Henry is seeming to have trouble to put him in the squad due to the options. And thats kinda my issue with claims for him to be a starter, it's the same thing we see in the MNT. There's better options. 

We simply need more. We need to play with confidence, grit, and have a mindset that we are going to win games, and not that we have to defend or be reactive. Having Kaye who although has a better offensive side to his game than Piette, his defensive game is comparable (check the stats), he's a pure box-to-box midfielder in the exact mold of Hutchinson. Pair him with Eustaquio who is primarily a CDM also a ball winner, wins tackles, anddddd can spray passes and get them to striker and we have a strong middle pair.

Okay people don't think we could play 3-4-3 because of our defence.....but even in a 4-2-3-1, I still don't want to see Piette starting. We need to go for leads, and then look to close out games (when Piette would come on). I don't care what anyone say's we have the personnel to be dangerous in Concacaf, it just depends on the way we setup.

40 minutes ago, Shway said:

image.png.0adef83963128cf21796dad39b8d2ca5.png

- No arfield, based on my opinion. 
- Hutch if he wants to play can switch out Kaye. 
- RCB is up for grabs. 

With the exception of Larin, I would prefer this over the 3-4-3 anytime.

Also agree with the other post. Piette should not be considered a starter and I really think that conversation should end. I personally think he's still a tad overrated among Canada fans.

17 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Also agree with the other post. Piette should not be considered a starter and I really think that conversation should end. I personally think he's still a tad overrated among Canada fans.

While I agree Piette is a tad overrated. You really see his worth in dog fights like that first US-Canada game.

Piette is a solid CMNT player.  For what he is usually asked to do he is tremendous and deserves a great deal of appreciation for his efforts and commitment.  Don’t think he is overrated.  
But he does not have the skill set of Eustaquio and I would think that for most important games in the future, Eustaquio will be the starter at the DM position and Piette will come off the bench if needed in the destroyer role to finish out the game.  

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

I prefer a 3-4-3 cause we don't have a real cam, our fullbacks can get higher up the pitch and Davies will be best used as a lwb so there's no need to start adekube who isn't great. Our centerbacks are best in a 3. 

I prefer the 3-4-3....but will we really see it.

Piette will be needed for some games where we don't have our preferred starters. He is still very valuable to the National Team even if he isn't first choice. We should have a lot of games coming up along with Gold Cup (???) next summer. Players will get injured or not want to leave their club team for whatever reason.

40 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

For me Eustaquio (probably) starts over Piette in most cases, but I am not ready to give either the proverbial starter tag. It really depends on the type of game we find ourselves in. I firmly believe in some games we may want to use Piette instead. Most games I think we would want to go with Eustaquio though, especially when we are pushing the game (as we should strive to do as much as possible).

I also need to watch the defensive work of Eustaquio more closely. He seems very capable of winning the ball, but I do not know if he can do it in the same way Piette can. I only have doubt because I have not watched him enough. The physicality of Piette gives us a certain presence and I do not get that impression with Eustaquio. That is okay though, because he seems to do almost everything else better than Piette. 

I guess I am still in wait and see mode, but my expectation is that Eustaquio will start more than Piette moving forward. I do see Piette getting enough occasional starts to keep the situation fluid though, if that makes sense. I do not think Eustaquio will be a true starter like David or Davies, at least not for this cycle. 

9 minutes ago, Big_M said:

lol first lets see osorio be a starter in toronto when pozuelo piatti altidore are fit..blessing 14 goals 17 assist in around 6400 minutes and osorio 28 and 32 in around 14000..and blessing even plays at rb

Not sure what 28 and 32 is suppose to mean. Age and 

Do not get me wrong, Latif is a fine player.

So it Osorio. So is Roldan. So is Kaye. So is Nagbe.

All of these players are roughly the same level if you ask me. Some are younger than others, of course, but they are all good players. 

If your preferred flavor is Blessing and mine is Oso, all good. 

We are not talking apples to oranges, you can admit that surely. This is not Oso versus Blessing versus Eric Calvillo.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

28 goals 32 assists..nagbe is a step above and hes proved it everywhere he went and was a starter every season last 10 years

The same can be said about Osorio.

Both players have had similar careers. Both have very similar stats and impact for the clubs they play for. Both play in a similar way, fantastic at keeping possession and advancing the ball from the midfield. Both chip in with goals. Both have won a lot of trophies. Both are internationals, with Osorio having more caps but factor in a handicap for Nagbe since the USA team is deeper. Both are TAM players in MLS. Nagbe concacaf Gold Cup best eleven 2017, Osorio concacaf Champions League best eleven 2018. etc. 

Apples to apples.

Edit: Maybe I am just a biased Canadian fan though. I am all ears if you want to point something out I am missing. I do see that Nagbe leads Osorio 2 MLS Cups to 1, but they will be even when Toronto wins MLS Cup 2020 :)

Edited by Obinna