Stephen Eustaquio

So what're our thoughts on him at this point? He seemed like one of the best players on Pacos from what I saw, but it's strange that Cruz seems so disinterested. Do we think he still has a chance at playing in a top league eventually?

Edited by PiedPilko

28 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

So what're our thoughts on him at this point? He seemed like one of the best players on Pacos from what I saw, but it's strange that Cruz seems so disinterested. Do we think he still has a chance at playing in a top league eventually?

I am not sure he can top out at a top team in a top league, but I can eventually see him at a mid-table team in Spain or France, maybe even Germany or England perhaps. Either that or a top team in a smaller league, like Porto, Sporting or Benfica. I have always imagined that Braga would be the next step for him, but maybe he could move directly to one of those Portuguese giants with another good season at Pacos. I think he'll be out of contract at the end of 2020-21, so any of those teams could scoop him up on a free perhaps. Continuing in the Portuguese league would continue his on-going audition, so I think it is a good call.

Edited by Obinna

13 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

The crazy part is that he won’t re-up/renew his contract with CA before it expires at the end of the season (I think) so they will lose home on a free transfer.   Assuming he has another strong season with Pacos, his $0 price tag will make him an attractive option.   I could see him making a sweet move next summer.  

EDIT: probably should have read the next post as well...

Edited by dyslexic nam

5 hours ago, One American said:

I like his skill set. But I don't know how lower side of Portugal translates vs. MLS or other leagues. I think it's probably similar to Mexico or a top MLSer. 

Nope, much better than MLS. As most leagues in Europe, Primeira Liga has it's giants and although mid table teams aren't as packed with talent, they can still play against the likes of Benfica, Sporting or Porto and win.

It's a tougher without a doubt

23 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Nope, much better than MLS. As most leagues in Europe, Primeira Liga has it's giants and although mid table teams aren't as packed with talent, they can still play against the likes of Benfica, Sporting or Porto and win.

It's a tougher without a doubt

I dont know if I believe that, some of the bottom/mid table teams in portugal are pretty low budget with small fan bases. Would Vitoria start in MLS? not for tfc. 

2 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I dont know if I believe that, some of the bottom/mid table teams in portugal are pretty low budget with small fan bases. Would Vitoria start in MLS? not for tfc. 

I agree with this. I have watched quite a few matches in the past few years simply due to Eustaquio, Ferreira and Vitoria and outside of the top 5 teams or so the Portuguese league is surprisingly very low quality. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

"low budget with small fan bases" doesn't necessarily mean less talented.

Sure, Vitoria wouldn't start for TFC, but they are one of the strongest teams in the league. If you told me Vitoria wouldn't start for any MLS team, then I would not believe you. In fact, he was a starter for most of his loan to Philadelphia from Benfica. When he was out of the team it was due to injury and not form. Actually, I think his one goal in MLS was against TFC at BMO, if memory serves me correct.

I haven't watched Portugal enough to weigh in on it confidently, but I would guess the top 3/4 teams would top MLS. The middle teams would all finish in the upper half and the bottom teams would finish in the middle or bottom of MLS.

Edited by Obinna

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

"low budget with small fan bases" doesn't necessarily mean less talented.

Sure, Vitoria wouldn't start for TFC, but they are one of the strongest teams in the league. If you told me Vitoria wouldn't start for any MLS team, then I would not believe you. In fact, he was a starter for most of his loan to Philadelphia from Benfica. When he was out of the team it was due to injury and not form. Actually, I think his one goal in MLS was against TFC at BMO, if memory serves me correct.

I haven't watched Portugal enough to weigh in on it confidently, but I would guess the top 3/4 teams would top MLS. The middle teams would all finish in the upper half and the bottom teams would finish in the middle or bottom of MLS.

Agree with this completely, especially in Europe.  Eibar & newly promoted Huesca, have stadium capacities around 7,000 and play in La Liga.  Yes, La Liga is a lot more competitive than Liga NOS but I know we would love to have an international player on either of those teams.  In fact half of La Liga has a lower stadium capacity than TFC including clubs like Villareal & Valencia.  And this is true all across Europe outside of the powerhouse teams.

Dempsey was playing home games at Craven Cottage for Fulham and within 2 years was playing in Seattle in front of a much larger home crowd.

Anyways, I'm off topic.

I hope Eustaquio does remain with Pacos in Liga Nos.  Since Liga NOS restarted in June and when Eustaquio really seemed to impress, Pacos were 5-2-3.  At that rate over a season, it would put them in the top 5 in the league and in a European qualifying position (only behind Porto, Sporting, Benfica & Braga).

9 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

There's a correlation. MLS is underrated.

No they are overrated. Are we to believe that Altidore and Bradley are worth the money they are being paid? You can make numbers fit any narrative but they aren't seeing that money in Europe, just ask Giovinco.

So no, higher budgets doesn't necessarily means higher quality. It's no secret that for some of the players, MLS Club have to pay a premium to get them in the league so an apple for apple comparison don't apply here.

Sid is spot on on what he feels MLS truly is at 2:00 --> "They are inflating this league and the quality at an inaccurate level"

Translation : Overpriced DPs, Green Cards and financial tricks such as TAM, GAM etc...

I don't fall for it

In my opinion MLS is a good league but the quality drops significantly if they are down one or 2 DPs or TAM or GAM (whatever they are called these days). Their lack of depth is exposed every years in  CCL. That's not an accident, there's an obvious disparity within the roster.

Just like Sid, I see MLS for exactly what it is, a good league - #2 in CONCACAF but still far from being a world top league quality-wise.

Edited by Ansem

15 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

There's a correlation. MLS is underrated.

I like MLS, it’s a strong league, but definitely not underrated. There are few (no) leagues worldwide that get as much press/spin. The Mexican league is underrated - they win the champions league yearly yet never get the press/spin.

Having watched Portuguese soccer for most of my life, my opinion is this.

In recent years, the quality of the league has gone down. Pretty drastically. Especially the top 3. One of the reasons I can think of is that signing players through 3rd parties is restricted now. Something teams in Portugal heavily  relied on.

Getting that out of the way. Outside of the top 4-5 teams, I believe the rest of the league may struggle a little more against the top mls teams without a doubt. The mid table mls teams, some maybe hit and miss. The bottom teams of mls however don't have a prayer even against the bottom teams in Portugal.

The quality is worse the lower you go, but most teams in Portugal are still better at moving the ball and tactically disciplined. Especially defensively.

11 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Having watched Portuguese soccer for most of my life, my opinion is this.

In recent years, the quality of the league has gone down. Pretty drastically. Especially the top 3. One of the reasons I can think of is that signing players through 3rd parties is restricted now. Something teams in Portugal heavily  relied on.

Getting that out of the way. Outside of the top 4-5 teams, I believe the rest of the league may struggle a little more against the top mls teams without a doubt. The mid table mls teams, some maybe hit and miss. The bottom teams of mls however don't have a prayer even against the bottom teams in Portugal.

The quality is worse the lower you go, but most teams in Portugal are still better at moving the ball and tactically disciplined. Especially defensively.

I do agree with your comment, the Portuguese league quality has accurately gone down significantly from where it used to be, 100% agree

The part of the comment I put in bold i would say that you are correct if they have their best starting XI who are all healthy As I said earlier, there's an obvious drop in quality if they are missing 1 or 2 key players. Sure, it's like that for any team but when the Liga MX clubs have injury, or the top leagues out there, the drop is never this severe.

That's my answer to Americans bragging that LAFC would get to UEFA group stage, LAFC doesn't have the depth to play league games + league Cup &/or domestic cup + Europa/CL qualifiers. That schedule is brutal and injuries will happen. That's how the Mexicans wins CCL all the time, their rosters are much more balanced and the level is more accurate.

I'm thinking that if we're talking exhibition games or a few here and there, you'd be right but put an MLS team in Primeira Liga the way their roster is built, they are flirting with relegation zone - the weaker team would eventually figure them out over the course of a season.

As you pointed out about moving the ball and tactical discipline, a MLS starting XI can execute but can we say the same about their bench? Nope.

Edited by Ansem

39 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

montreal impact have a TM value of 24 mill vs moreinense (vitorias team) 14 mill. we are underrating the lower level teams of MLS imo. 

And the top 3 players are worth half the payroll, hence reinforcing my point - you're or 2 guys down away from having a very ordinary club

Edited by Ansem

8 hours ago, Floortom said:

I agree with this. I have watched quite a few matches in the past few years simply due to Eustaquio, Ferreira and Vitoria and outside of the top 5 teams or so the Portuguese league is surprisingly very low quality. 

I remember watching Vitória de Guimarães play Arsenal last season in the Europa League and they looked dam good, skill, athleticism, everything, but I'm guessing they are one of the better ones.