Stephen Eustaquio

There's no way in hell Arfield sits on the bench. He is our leader and our young squad needs his veteran presence out there. 

Kaye, Osorio and Piette are all great MLS level players but if they want to be starters on this team, they need to take their careers to the next level. Piette had has shot in Europe, Osorio sold out any European ambitions for a big money contract at TFC. Kaye needs to start thinking about his next step. 

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

There's no way in hell Arfield sits on the bench. He is our leader and our young squad needs his veteran presence out there. 

Kaye, Osorio and Piette are all great MLS level players but if they want to be starters on this team, they need to take their careers to the next level. Piette had has shot in Europe, Osorio sold out any European ambitions for a big money contract at TFC. Kaye needs to start thinking about his next step. 

I think this becomes more debatable as time goes on. Arfield is starting less often with Rangers now.

The flip side of being a veteran is that you eventually begin to slow down (unless your name is Atiba, apparently..)

Edited by Obinna

28 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

The great thing about having depth is you can go with the players who are on the best form, or do the best in training, and not lose much because all the players are good!

In theory, that's how it should work but how many times in NT soccer history (in any country) have we seen a coach stick too long with an out-of-form favourite or vet ("form is temporary...class is permanent" trap) or a another guy or two get their noses out of joint because they feel that they should be starting, so suddenly the camp doesn't seem happy/happy anymore if expected results don't happen?

This type of man management is supposed to be Herdman's meat and drink and the success of this campaign really will hinge on this.

6 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

True, and I'm all for Kaye being a regular sub for Arfield and eventually replacing him - if that happens at some loint this cycle then so be it. 

Remember we don't need the best 11 players out there, we just need the best Team. 

Kaye is an excellent playmaker and deserves to start. He isn't a sub.

7 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

Kaye is an excellent playmaker and deserves to start. He isn't a sub.

The problem is that we now have a lot of those guys.  In just central mid roles (both attacking and defensive) we have Arfield, Kaye, Hutch (if he returns), Piette, Eustaquio and Oso all making legit claims for a starting role.  The question isn’t whether or not Kaye is excellent - it is how many of those guys he forces into the bench.  

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The problem is that we now have a lot of those guys.  In just central mid roles (both attacking and defensive) we have Arfield, Kaye, Hutch (if he returns), Piette, Eustaquio and Oso all making legit claims for a starting role.  The question isn’t whether or not Kaye is excellent - it is how many of those guys he forces into the bench.  

He'll force one onto the bench. 😉

I was reading somewhere that in the next two years, if Canada gets to the Octo, we'll be playing between 23-27 meaningful games, including the Gold Cup. We'll need all of our midfielders to be able to slot in and out at times, and depending on club fixtures we may not have certain players. Kaye will probably start some games, and not others.  I think he is definitely a good choice as a starter, but I also think that what I've seen of Eustaqio over the last while means he could also start.

Personally, the fact that we can name seven or eight midfielders as potential starters over the next two years gives me a lot of confidence that Canada can get to Qatar. We have depth.

Edited by Trois Reds
Was off topic

8 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That's exactly how it needs to be, there NEEDS to be competition for starting spots... hopefully gone are the days where a player got called up into the CMNT simply because he wasn't a member of Unattached FC.

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

Can't forget guys like Harry Patton who seems to be a starter now in the Scottish Premiership.

Do you know what type of a role he plays in the midfield? I thought he was playing as a #10 in his first loan stint in the lower divisions. He was scoring about once every four games but he hasn't scored much the last two seasons. I was wondering if he's playing more of a defensive role now?

5 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

Do you know what type of a role he plays in the midfield? I thought he was playing as a #10 in his first loan stint in the lower divisions. He was scoring about once every four games but he hasn't scored much the last two seasons. I was wondering if he's playing more of a defensive role now?

I had similar thoughts on Paton after seeing his highlights yesterday.  See my post on his thread, not any super informed answers but some sources there. 

https://rr.sapo.pt/2020/08/13/futebol-nacional/eustaquio-com-futuro-em-aberto-nao-volto-para-o-mexico-e-ainda-nao-tenho-destino/noticia/203413/

"For now, nothing follows, I haven't made any decision yet, but the truth is, I'm not going back to Mexico and I have no destination. Let's see what comes up in the next few days, I can go to any club, on loan, or a sale ", begins by revealing.

25 minutes ago, jordan said:

https://rr.sapo.pt/2020/08/13/futebol-nacional/eustaquio-com-futuro-em-aberto-nao-volto-para-o-mexico-e-ainda-nao-tenho-destino/noticia/203413/

"For now, nothing follows, I haven't made any decision yet, but the truth is, I'm not going back to Mexico and I have no destination. Let's see what comes up in the next few days, I can go to any club, on loan, or a sale ", begins by revealing.

So that seems to rule out a return to Cruz Azul. Too bad (kinda). I think we're going to see him loaned out again or possibly sold, but either way I suspect he'll remain in Portugal. 

2 hours ago, jordan said:

good for him, Cruz Azul essentially tried to offload him due to his injury, good to know he has his heights set higher and is confident on his abilities, and quite frankly, he has the talent to back it up

Edited by LeoH037

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda disappointing that there has been no news on Stephen's next move. European leagues are scheduled to start in just a few weeks and the longer he goes without. Hope we hear some news before too long, as he really played well in the Premeira Liga and definitely deserves a shot with another team either in Portugal or elsewhere in Europe.

25 minutes ago, Wasp said:

Kinda disappointing that there has been no news on Stephen's next move. European leagues are scheduled to start in just a few weeks and the longer he goes without. Hope we hear some news before too long, as he really played well in the Premeira Liga and definitely deserves a shot with another team either in Portugal or elsewhere in Europe.

The Portuguese league is off right now and there were interested parties in Eustaquio in Portugal. It's a matter of Cruz Azul making up their minds on where to sell him and for how much as they aren't interested in him anymore and I think it's now mutual.

He already ruled out MLS so the time to panic is when the Liga restarts and he's still in limbo.

Eustaquio was doing some fitness and personal training with a couple players this past week including his friend Diego Dalot of Manchester United.  Completely irrelevant to where he ends up at this point but still love to see him training with players from a club such as Man U.  I'm just saying, I'd be a little more uneasy if he was training with a player like Will Johnson,.

Edited by Corazon

Speaking of Johnson, I wonder how much longer he will be "training". Will he hang em up soon? He is definitely a periphery guy now-a-days, but not a bad player to call up if we get desperate. He played pretty regularly for Orlando not that long ago. Would be nice to see him find a home soon.