Stephen Eustaquio

Taking this from the MOCA thread but signed with  Leixões today jumping from the Portuguese 3rd division where he was a regular starter to a bottom tier 2nd division team. Still just 19. 

Some positive comments about him below from a writer for whoscored Portugal. At this point I would think he deserves a thread here. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

• 4 months later...
52 minutes ago, badname22 said:

He was born in Ontario 

Ivan is likely asking that in response to ray's statement "worth a call to see if he's interested".

My guess is Stephen would jump at the chance to rep. Canada and that he should call be called for our next FIFA window camp.

9 hours ago, Ivan said:

Any reason why he wouldn't be interested?  Was he not born and raised here?

7 hours ago, badname22 said:

He was born in Ontario 

Like Mauro, he moved to Portugal with his family at a relatively young age (around 10 or so, I believe). That said both of them have always been interested in playing for Canada as far as I'm aware.

9 hours ago, ray said:

Update: playing regularly in Portugal's 2nd tier (for a club with hopes of promotion) at age 20.

I wouldn't get too excited about Leixoes, they have done well so far in the first 7 games of the season, but they are a small club and have consistently been near the bottom of LigaPro table for the last 5 or so years. That, and Portugal's second tier is a far cry from most of the Primeira Liga.

That said, if he maintains his starting spot with Leixoes, then I do agree that he might be worth a look in March.

Edited by Zem

November 10th is Portugal U21's next game so should know if he will be on that squad soon. Plenty of players from the "B" teams of Benfica and Porto on the roster last time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portugal_national_under-21_football_team

Given that i think there is likely some merit to the article saying he is in the conversation. Should have capped him earlier. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

He was in a U-17 camp a few years back..he should be on the radar.  Dont we need to get him into a senior camp before we cap him??  Wish we were having one in Nov. 

If he's already eligible for Portugal, having him play a friendly wouldn't cap him for good because he could still do a one-time switch. If we had a senior camp in November playing a WCQ playoff against Australia, that would have cap tied him.

30 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Given that i think there is likely some merit to the article saying he is in the conversation. Should have capped him earlier.

Hindsight is always 20/20, as they say.

To be fair his apparent ability only came to light in the last couple of months since joining Leixoes in the 2nd tier.  Prior to that it was asking a lot of Canada's coaching/scouting staff to focus on a 19 year-old in the 3rd tier.  Portugal were clearly not that interested, either.

I'm sure Canada has/will get in contact to let him to let him know we are following his progress.  But yes, Stephen is likely a future project as far as the CMNT is concerned.

So far he's played every game for Leixoes SC and with his side on the verge of promotion it would be super hard not to call him up to the senior side if he's in Primeira Liga in the 2018/2019 season.

Although Canada have nothing to play for so that's why he's probably considering s U21 call up from Portugal 

He is not good enough for their men's team but is for ours! Zambrano what are you waiting for?

26 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

So far he's played every game for Leixoes SC and with his side on the verge of promotion it would be super hard not to call him up to the senior side if he's in Primeira Liga in the 2018/2019 season.

Although Canada have nothing to play for so that's why he's probably considering s U21 call up from Portugal 

He is not good enough for their men's team but is for ours! Zambrano what are you waiting for?

A game?