Stephen Eustaquio

3 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I believe in MLS transfer fees are counted as wages and are spread throughout the length of the contract. 

I never knew transfer fees were spread out throughout the length of the contract, but that makes sense. 

He would need to sign a multi year deal to make the numbers work. Impact would probably have to cough up a couple of million plus his salary, so we are probably talking a tam contract approaching 7 figures.

Does Montreal have that sort of TAM?

Excited to get Eustaquio going.

Liga Nos is a good level for him to find his feet again and he knows the league. He has tasted adversity with his injury, so hopefully that gives him an edge with this 6 month loan. Then maybe Cruz Azul bring him back on board for the Liga MX fall season...

Edited by Obinna

19 hours ago, Obinna said:

Excited to get Eustaquio going.

Liga Nos is a good level for him to find his feet again and he knows the league. He has tasted adversity with his injury, so hopefully that gives him an edge with this 6 month loan. Then maybe Cruz Azul bring him back on board for the Liga MX fall season...

I think Cruz Azul would like to do two things here with a loan deal. 

1) To see how he is able to play after his serious injury and determine if he is capable for a return to the Cruz Azul program.

2) To get his market value back up after they dished out a few million to bring him in last January.

9 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Done deal but the extra info is that he refused to join Montreal

I am not anti our Canadian MLS teams (have my criticisms of the league's rules re Canadians), but I am fine with a player of his age and potential looking for bigger opportunities at this point.  Despite the injury, his ceiling seems above MLS, so going back to Europe on loan is a solid move.   

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Purchase option? They must be losing some serious money if they paid 4$ million

This is interesting, considering Pacos don't have money lol. At best they're  able to spend maybe around 100k and rely on free agents.  I'm shocked how Cruz have such little interest  in keeping him. I know it's a new manager, but with that kind of investment you would think they would be more patient.

Overall, this is a good move for him. Hopefully eyes are on him. As a Porto fan I would love it if he came here. Uribe is not doing the job here.

Edited by Colliedor

3 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

This is interesting, considering Pacos don't have money lol. At best they're  able to spend maybe around 100k and rely on free agents.  I'm shocked how Cruz have such little interest  in keeping him. I know it's a new manager, but with that kind of investment you would think they would be more patient.

I too find it strange that Cruz Azul had no interest in keeping him. Their fans wanted him to get a chance as well.

I think it signals that Cruz Azul are in turmoil moreso than Eustaquio being damaged goods. The priority for them is to rejoin the elite of Mexico and the easiest way is to bring in proven players. I think Eustaquio is talented, but not proven (at least in this context).

It's kind of a shame because Cruz Azul have CCL coming up so you'd think there'd be chances for game time, but if they aren't in the mood to develop players, I would rather he go where he'll be valued.

Things can quickly change in football though, we mustn't forget. Cruz Azul may get their shit together and Eustaquio may impress in Portugal and boom, Cruz Azul may suddenly value this guy again. We'll be interesting to see how things unfold. 

• 4 weeks later...

Portuguese tabloids praising Eustáquio's work ethic because he showed up to the gym a day before training was scheduled to resume:
http://www.abola.pt/nnh/2019-12-28/pacos-de-ferreira-eustaquio-ja-foi-ao-ginasio/821501

On 1/2/2020 at 3:37 PM, jordan said:

Eustaquio scored for Pacos in a friendly 2 days ago. 

A little more detail on @jordan 's post, on December 30th Paços de Ferreira played a closed-door friendly against 3rd tier side Vizela. Eustáquio scored a goal in a 2-0 win. Although not an official match, it was his debut with the club.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/2019-12-30/pacos-de-ferreira-stephen-eustaquio-estreia-se-a-marcar-em-jogo-particular-com-o/821850

Paços de Ferreira play Steven Vitória's Moreirense on Sunday. We shall see if he makes his competitive debut then.

25 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Portuguese tabloids praising Eustáquio's work ethic because he showed up to the gym a day before training was scheduled to resume:
http://www.abola.pt/nnh/2019-12-28/pacos-de-ferreira-eustaquio-ja-foi-ao-ginasio/821501

A little more detail on @jordan 's post, on December 30th Paços de Ferreira played a closed-door friendly against 3rd tier side Vizela. Eustáquio scored a goal in a 2-0 win. Although not an official match, it was his debut with the club.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/2019-12-30/pacos-de-ferreira-stephen-eustaquio-estreia-se-a-marcar-em-jogo-particular-com-o/821850

Paços de Ferreira play Steven Vitória's Moreirense on Sunday. We shall see if he makes his competitive debut then.

May have to find a stream for that one. Not everyday you can watch two Canadians face each other in a top European league.

25 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

May have to find a stream for that one. Not everyday you can watch two Canadians face each other in a top European league.