CPL new teams speculation

6 hours ago, garmc said:

They do have a French logo though.Image result for premiere league canadienne

Thank you.  However, it's not really out there enough.  I'd prefer to have one single bilingual one.  

To me it's like having 17 different versions of the anthem.  There's the one that has French first, there's the one that has French in the middle, there's English only, French only (ok, so that's only four versions).  When our rugby team sings the anthem, they belt it out in English only, whereas the Kiwis manage to sing theirs in two languages and the South Africans in five.  Our women's team sing a bilingual version, and should give the men's team a singing lesson (and a few pointers on how to play the game the way things have been going the last few years).  

15 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Thank you.  However, it's not really out there enough.  I'd prefer to have one single bilingual one.  

Eventually, the Logo will be the mark the league is known by. They won't have to have any words associated with it because everyone knows what the symbol means and will be interpreted by their brains in the language of choice. It will be like the McDonald's or Starbucks symbols - it doesn't matter what country you are in, you know what it means.

23 hours ago, Initial B said:

Eventually, the Logo will be the mark the league is known by. They won't have to have any words associated with it because everyone knows what the symbol means and will be interpreted by their brains in the language of choice. It will be like the McDonald's or Starbucks symbols - it doesn't matter what country you are in, you know what it means.

I'm old.  Eventually may be too late for me.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Like Teal? He maybe isn't in the strongest position to be saying stuff like that. The Whitecaps also seem to be on a bit of a push to be a Team Canada type franchise at the moment, so it's a few years too late for that to have the sort of resonance it once did.

Teal grew up in Minnesota. He certainly is American.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:12 PM, Ansem said:

Montréal radio interview with Bunbury regardant his project

It's not even an interview, he just lets Alex drag on, asks nothing, says nothing, it is exemplary non-journalism. And boring as fuck as a result. 

Please let's find some media outlet with a competent reporter able to ask 4 simple, pertinent questions instead of just pandering to an array of truisms. 

5 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to criticize our MLS teams right now.  They’re doing their part having 29 Canadians on their 1st team roster combined at the moment.  

Vancouver particularly with Dos Santos isn’t a team I’m keen to criticize at the moment.  

I’m curious but don’t have the time to look it up at the moment. How many Americans are on the Canadian MLS rosters? It’s likely less than 29, but probably not a whole lot less.

And the Canadian teams are averaging 10 Canadians per roster? That sounds pretty good. Are there any American teams with 10 or fewer Americans on the roster?

51 minutes ago, Kent said:

I’m curious but don’t have the time to look it up at the moment. How many Americans are on the Canadian MLS rosters? It’s likely less than 29, but probably not a whole lot less.

And the Canadian teams are averaging 10 Canadians per roster? That sounds pretty good. Are there any American teams with 10 or fewer Americans on the roster?

USA  CDN  INT

TFC       12      8       7 

Van        2      11       6

Impact   3     11     12

Thats just going off the roster on the MLS homepage, but its close enough to show you the trend.  TFC has american front office and...fill in angry blank here......Van puts a CDN in charge and ipso facto......

As for US MLS squads, I went through about 3-4 rosters that were roughly full, and its was 12-15.

Edited by Bison44

On 1/19/2019 at 2:56 PM, baulderdash77 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to criticize our MLS teams right now.  They’re doing their part having 29 Canadians on their 1st team roster combined at the moment.  

"MLS is for Americans"

I would suggest there is a difference between criticizing a league that has shown little to no interest in supporting or even acknowledging the fact that it is a two nation league and criticizing three specific teams within that league. Having said that, I didn't listen to the interview, so maybe he did criticize the three teams specifically.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:56 PM, baulderdash77 said:

Vancouver particularly with Dos Santos isn’t a team I’m keen to criticize at the moment.  

Too little.  Too late.  Can go on forever about the where and why of it but that's what in the end it all boils down to.   

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

It’s never “too late”. I’m looking forward not backwards from where we are today.

There’s currently 42 Canadians on MLS rosters, an all time high. That’s not too little too late.  There’s a ton of MLS bashing on this board but at the moment it’s not justified.

It’s great that there are more Canadians on MLS teams than ever. But just to illustrate how important CPL is, there are already 47 Canadians signed in CPL, and only one team has a roster length in the double digits.

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

It’s great that there are more Canadians on MLS teams than ever. But just to illustrate how important CPL is, there are already 47 Canadians signed in CPL, and only one team has a roster length in the double digits.

Agreed.

However, Canadians in MLS will be of higher average quality than those in CPL, so the fact that more Canadians are getting MLS opportunities is a good thing. 

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

It’s never “too late”. I’m looking forward not backwards from where we are today.

There’s currently 42 Canadians on MLS rosters, an all time high. That’s not too little too late.  There’s a ton of MLS bashing on this board but at the moment it’s not justified.

Does it seem like I'm bashing?  Suppose it does.  Is it justified?  Guess that part is subject to interpretation.  Meaning to be more cynical than anything.  Like to be clear that I'm very pleased with the increasing number of Canadians on MLS Canadian franchises.  And looking forward, I expect some rather dramatic changes are coming to MLS in Canada which will continue to encourage greater growth in those numbers.  Here's hoping!  

It's interesting that it is looking like there will still be at least 80 or so Canadians in MLS and the two pro level tiers of USL this summer and there has been no mass migration back to Canada of players on fully pro teams overseas so far. CanPL has been more about getting Canadian players onto a pro contract who otherwise would have been playing for PDL and L1O elite amateur or semi-pro level teams in Canada or as one of the few imports on semi-pro level lower divisions in Germany, Australia, Sweden and Finland than I suspect most people on here anticipated.

Winding things back to the subject matter of the thread, they should probably be in no huge rush to expand quickly past 8 teams until it's clear that the available talent pool from those sources is deep enough to keep the fans coming back regularly, although that's less of a concern with markets like Surrey, K/W and Laval than it would be with Saskatoon or somewhere like St John's. Stadium issues probably make that a moot point, however, because all the ones that are easy to do are probably already in.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

52 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's interesting that it is looking like there will still be at least 80 or so Canadians in MLS and the two pro level tiers of USL this summer and there has been no mass migration back to Canada of players on fully pro teams overseas so far. CanPL has been more about getting Canadian players onto a pro contract who otherwise would have been playing for PDL and L1O elite amateur or semi-pro level teams in Canada or as one of the few imports on semi-pro level lower divisions in Germany, Australia, Sweden and Finland than I suspect most people on here anticipated.

Winding things back to the subject matter of the thread, they should probably be in no huge rush to expand quickly past 8 teams until it's clear that the available talent pool from those sources is deep enough to keep the fans coming back regularly, although that's less of a concern with markets like Surrey, K/W and Laval than it would be with Saskatoon or somewhere like St John's. Stadium issues probably make that a moot point, however, because all the ones that are easy to do are probably already in.

I know Pacific's roster best, but they were all playing in USL or overseas last year, and they were all on professional contracts. Apart from maybe Hojabrpour as a 17 year old

2 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I know Pacific's roster best, but they were all playing in USL or overseas last year, and they were all on professional contracts. Apart from maybe Hojabrpour as a 17 year old

Ya, and for York 9, 6/9 announced signings were last playing in USL, or top division Lithuania, Singapore etc. 

Not sure how @BringBackTheBlizzard is concluding that most players do not have a pro background. 

So about 35% of the rosters are filled (55 signed on the CPL homepage vs roughly 150 on final rosters/21-22 per team).  Each team gets 7 INT, so 49 in total.  Another 50 or so CDN will have to be brought in before opening day, ie only half the CDN content is filled so far.  Lets not get carried away with any narratives, based on partially filled rosters.  Or continue being a dingle I guess.     

I’m not ready to talk about the narrative of the level then CPl players are coming from.  Only about 1/3 of the rosters are filled.

Also please don’t call BBTB names.  He has a valid point of view, even if it’s has some sandpaper, he’s come a long way in the last 2 years.  We’re all on the same team.

Back to the point let’s see what happens.  As it is there will be 110+ Canadian players in the CanPL and in 2020 maybe 140.  Lots of those players will move on to other leagues and players will move in from other leagues.  Bottom line is the league is expanding and will deepen our player pool.  

• 3 weeks later...

Check out @CplTransfers’s Tweet:

Not sure if this rumour has any validity but Oakville has been a rock-solid L1O franchise and might be an underrated CanPL possibility.  Not sure of the league wants/can sustain teams in Hamilton, York, Oakville, and Mississauga but you never know.

One great thing about CanPL is it allows semi-pro clubs with solid owners and big aspirations a chance to realize those aspirations.