CPL new teams speculation

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Why should we care if MLS snubs CPL or not? If we can get loans from other leagues, it won't matter in the end 

It doesn't really matter if you're just looking for quality talent for your league but MLS is the most likely to loan in (emerging) Canadian talent which I think most people here do care about.

I don't think they'll snub for long if they do snub.

Edited by matty

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Why should we care if MLS snubs CPL or not? If we can get loans from other leagues, it won't matter in the end 

I dont think we do care, but they are running the same season (time wise) and have the 3 CDN clubs who will have lots of young CDN not quite ready for MLS and with no place to get them minutes.  If CPL was running this last season I'm sure there COULD have been a couple kids from each MLS squad loaned out.  No other league will have teams with half a dozen CDN kids lying around that they dont know what to do with.  

This thread is about potential new teams. Can we move this player acquisition conversation to the CPL players you expect to see thread? Or better yet, create a new thread called “endless discussion on ridiculously specific opinions on where players will be signed from as if there will be one blueprint for all teams to follow mindlessly”.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

This thread is about potential new teams. Can we move this player acquisition conversation to the CPL players you expect to see thread? Or better yet, create a new thread called “endless discussion on ridiculously specific opinions on where players will be signed from as if there will be one blueprint for all teams to follow mindlessly”.

this part alone is like 85% of cpl convos

MLS loaning some Canadians to the CPL?  Could happen.  

I wonder if that would be later in the season or with specific instructions NOT to use loanees in the Voyageurs Cup so as to not cap tie them.  From the list of Canadian MLS players returning and contracted for 2019, some may have time scraping together three Canadian starters (or if the rule changes to six Canadian starters to be fair to CPL teams)--that may be tough.   

Even if they're good to go tomorrow I'd think they'd hold off until well into the season.  If they're smart, and so far so good on that account, as much good news media that they can spread out over the season the better.  Just the launch itself will generate enough excitement to carry media attention at the beginning so try to keep the positive going for as long as possible. 

They have to be (should be) already writing good feel stories about professional sports coming to Halifax and Bob Young's investing financially (and clearly emotionally) in the league for publications.  Hopefully a smashing Gold Cup which will help the league by deflection not to mention some V's Cup success' on and off the pitch for the CPL sides and we're into the tail end of the season and expansion news.  Reads like a good dose of positive news for the league all year long doesn't it? 

Would be great if they could throw in some big name and hopefully big dollar sponsor announcements over the season as well.

Here's hoping!

Edited by Cheeta

3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I wonder when the Alex Bunburry and Laval announcement is going to happen.  

I’m kinda hoping it’s prior to the start of the season.

Bunbury said in the interview after the holidays, in the new year. So I guess we are talking about within a few weeks. Excited to hear what they come up with and hopeful the project is as good or better than the average we now have in CPL.

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bunbury said in the interview after the holidays, in the new year. So I guess we are talking about within a few weeks. Excited to hear what they come up with and hopeful the project is as good or better than the average we now have in CPL.

On the basis of nothing but gut feeling, I would be surprised if they planned a team in the Impact's backyard without a pretty solid business plan.  I am optimistic that Montreal, and the other 2nd phase expansion clubs, will come out of the gates strong.

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

On the basis of nothing but gut feeling, I would be surprised if they planned a team in the Impact's backyard without a pretty solid business plan.  I am optimistic that Montreal, and the other 2nd phase expansion clubs, will come out of the gates strong.

Did you listen to the interview, it was worth it? Bunbuy was quite smart, he is articulate, but also spoke about his relationship to Joey Saputo, basically inferring that Joey understood the value of CPL, as Bunbury himself was positive about Impact. I know these guys have to hedge their bets, and who knows, maybe Bunbury wants an MLS future, but he was confident about the coexistence with MLS.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did you listen to the interview, it was worth it? Bunbuy was quite smart, he is articulate, but also spoke about his relationship to Joey Saputo, basically inferring that Joey understood the value of CPL, as Bunbury himself was positive about Impact. I know these guys have to hedge their bets, and who knows, maybe Bunbury wants an MLS future, but he was confident about the coexistence with MLS.

Have to admit I didn't. Like I said, I don't really have any basis for my confidence.  Just the knowledge that moving into the Montreal market without a really solid plan I. Place would probably be a sure fire way to fail.  Good to hear about Saputo though.  It will really help CPL if MLS doesn't try to block or undermine it.  

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

http://www.tottenhamblog.com/2018/06/26/report-tottenham-scout-french-defender-following-trials-with-man-united-and-man-city/

...That’s according to a report form Sport Witness, which also claims Kingue has had trials with Manchester United, Manchester City, Ajax and others.

Sport Witness goes on to cite a report from French outlet FootMercato that reveals Spurs and Burnley have both been watching Kingue regularly.

It is believed the teenager has been impressing for Santos’ Under-23s side.

Clubs in France are said to be interested in signing Kingue this summer, so Tottenham will need to move quickly if they are truly keen...

Looks like his agent plants rumours of an impending move as each transfer window opens and is setting his sights a bit lower this time around.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe hedge his bets?  Diversify his portfolio? 

Nothing wrong with having ownership in two different teams in two different leagues - though I guess you could claim a conflict of interest in the V-Cup...

He is also part-owner of Mallorca, currently in 2nd div Spain, he bought in when they were down in 3rd tier. Actually, from what I heard, he and Phoenix Suns owner Sarver have majority control, through an investment company.

If he had the money he'd also buy into Spurs, but I think that is out of his league. 

I agree that the Nash bros will help keep a lid on the temptation to dumb rivalry when it comes to MLS and CPL, although Nash is not at all proactive when it comes to the Caps anyways.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist