CPL new teams speculation

Exciting times in hearing about all the markets that have an expression of interest. For those that haven't read it yet, it sounds like there's 12 legit expressions of interest and a few other markets kicking the tires.

You can read the interview with Bierne where he mentions it here:

https://juneof86.com/2017/05/12/canadian-premier-league-gaining-momentum/

So...what markets is everyone thinking now?

want in (or already in): Hamilton, Halifax, Winnipeg

Reported as looking to be in: A team somewhere in saskatchewan, Kitchener-Waterloo

places where there's varying amounts of smoke but no real fire yet: Vaughn, Calgary, Moncton

Ottawa gave a rather vague comment to Northern Starting 11 that could be interpreted a bunch of ways: http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/ottawa-fury-and-the-canadian-premier-league/

Still no real word from Edmonton officially.

I've seen threads about supporters groups for fans in Victoria and Toronto, but has anyone heard anything substansive about those markets actually being interested?

Exciting times!

In for sure: Hamilton, Winnipeg (2)

Publicly surfaced and wanting in: Halifax, K/W and Saskatchewan (2 + 3 = 5)

Publicly talked about it but either not wanted or may not want it: Ottawa and TFC II (5 + 2 = 7)

Some media activity with no clear investor: Moncton  (7 + 1 = 8)

so that leaves four, my guess is that several other past or former PDL teams will have inquired about it at a very minimum: Victoria, Calgary and London (8 + 3 = 11)

Surely there must have been some interest somewhere in Quebec (11 + 1 = 12)

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Publicly talked about it but either not wanted or may not want it: Ottawa and TFC II (5 + 2 = 7)

so that leaves four, my guess is that several other past or former PDL teams will have inquired about it at a very minimum: Victoria, Calgary and London (8 + 3 = 11)

Plus 3 more. Everyone involved keeps using the term "Expression of Interest" which seems to be the formal submission of busine plans, stadium details, etc... That number most recently has been stated by PB as 12. He's also said there are 3 more groups that they have had more informal discussions with. At least that's what I take from it.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Plus 3 more. Everyone involved keeps using the term "Expression of Interest" which seems to be the formal submission of busine plans, stadium details, etc... That number most recently has been stated by PB as 12. He's also said there are 3 more groups that they have had more informal discussions with. At least that's what I take from it.

He talked about the two new ones after mentioning that there had been lots of new inquiries, three of which were serious. I'm assuming that these two expressions of interest come from those three.

My guesstimate:

Locked in:

(1) Hamilton, (2) Winnipeg

Longstanding interest:

(3) KW United, (4) Calgary (S&E or at very least Foothills), (5) Halifax, (6) Saskatchewan group, (7) TFC II, (8) Ottawa, (9) Victoria Highlanders (+/- new investment), (10) ?GTA team

Brand-new interest

(11) Moncton groups mentioned by Bouida, (12) ?

Bonus point if Katz to Edomonton turns out to be real

21 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

He talked about the two new ones after mentioning that there had been lots of new inquiries, three of which were serious. I'm assuming that these two expressions of interest come from those three.

My guesstimate:

Locked in:

(1) Hamilton, (2) Winnipeg

Longstanding interest:

(3) KW United, (4) Calgary (S&E or at very least Foothills), (5) Halifax, (6) Saskatchewan group, (7) TFC II, (8) Ottawa, (9) Victoria Highlanders (+/- new investment), (10) ?GTA team

Brand-new interest

(11) Moncton groups mentioned by Bouida, (12) ?

Bonus point if Katz to Edomonton turns out to be real

But there's a total of 15 groups interested correct?

edit: from matthew's article, am I reading this right? 12 that they're considering and 3 more who have inquired.

When the CPL was officially sanctioned on Saturday, May 6 at the CSA’s Annual General Meeting, Beirne noted that there were 10 cities and ownership groups seeking franchises that the league were doing their due diligence on. That number has now grown to 12. There are also three more prospective groups who have expressed interest and are seeking more details about the league’s business plan and structure.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

9 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

But there's a total of 15 groups interested correct?

edit: from matthew's article, am I reading this right? 12 that they're considering and 3 more who have inquired.

When the CPL was officially sanctioned on Saturday, May 6 at the CSA’s Annual General Meeting, Beirne noted that there were 10 cities and ownership groups seeking franchises that the league were doing their due diligence on. That number has now grown to 12. There are also three more prospective groups who have expressed interest and are seeking more details about the league’s business plan and structure.

Must have skimmed that part. If Matt is taking Bierne's phasing correctly, then yeah it would be 15.

Also have to think these wouldn't be 15 markets, but 15 groups. Might involve some competition or merging of bids

Just now, Complete Homer said:

Must have skimmed that part. If Matt is taking Bierne's phasing correctly, then yeah it would be 15.

Also have to think these wouldn't be 15 markets, but 15 groups. Might involve some competition or merging of bids

I think you're right, which if true is pretty cool.

I've stated many times on this forum that I don't think there's the potential for any other group in Ottawa other than OSEG but I could be wrong! 

It's also exciting that the CPL have been forthcoming with these numbers and that there will be team announcements in the near future.

42 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Would love it if some rumblings started coming out of Quebec

Aside from the obvious benefit to Quebecers, the QC teams always seem to add awesome rivalry possibilities that are great for sport.  Whether it is Habs/Leafs, or Impact/TFC, the passion involved in these "Canadian derby" matches are great. And while CPL will potentially present lots of great matchup possibilities (battle of Alberta, Maritimers taking those upper Canadians 'out behind the shed') the tried and true QC/ON format would be great to layer onto the other rivalries in CPL.

13 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

There are other areas in southern Ontario that would merit consideration if Saskatoon (#17 as a census metropolitan area) and Moncton (#29) are being taken seriously on this, but usually don't get mentioned on here, e.g. Windsor, Brampton, the Niagara peninsula and Oshawa.  Throw in the outer suburbs of Vancouver and Montreal as well and there is still plenty of scope for other interested markets having a look and kicking the tires a bit now that the focus seems to be shifting towards smaller cities and building 5000-7000 seat pop-ups rather than on having a soccer version of the CFL on unmarked fieldturf in 25,000-40,000 seater stadia.

On 2017-05-13 at 8:21 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There are other areas in southern Ontario that would merit consideration if Saskatoon (#17 as a census metropolitan area) and Moncton (#29) are being taken seriously on this, but usually don't get mentioned on here, e.g. Windsor, Brampton, the Niagara peninsula and Oshawa.  Throw in the outer suburbs of Vancouver and Montreal as well and there is still plenty of scope for other interested markets having a look and kicking the tires a bit now that the focus seems to be shifting towards smaller cities and building 5000-7000 seat pop-ups rather than on having a soccer version of the CFL on unmarked fieldturf in 25,000-40,000 seater stadia.

I'm surprised Kingston never seems to get tossed around. Even as speculation it doesn't come up ....

On 5/12/2017 at 1:25 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

this has got to be your most liked CPL post yet :P

for real though, sounds pretty much bang on

I hope Mississauga is thrown in there somewhere - and I would argue there has been public surfacing from both Saskatchewan major cities.

On 5/13/2017 at 6:21 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

the thing about Moncton and Saskatoon is that they are more regional centers than the other ones mentioned, although I agree with your premise.

I'd still love to see something surface in Surrey.  Could be a hit.

^ Ah, travel costs.  Not to harp on about it but I firmly believe that whatever nuts and bolts the CPL cobble together into the final construction of this "single entity" monster that they have in the works that the final creation has travel costs for all league members equalized.  Shared.  The cost of doing business if you want to be in a national league.

If you are no keen on "subsidizing" Victoria or Halifax to play in a national league then fine.  Just build yourself a regional league and stay in Ontario or lower mainland BC.  See how far that takes you.

9 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

^ Ah, travel costs.  Not to harp on about it but I firmly believe that whatever nuts and bolts the CPL cobble together into the final construction of this "single entity" monster that they have in the works that the final creation has travel costs for all league members equalized.  Shared.  The cost of doing business if you want to be in a national league.

If you are no keen on "subsidizing" Victoria or Halifax to play in a national league then fine.  Just build yourself a regional league and stay in Ontario or lower mainland BC.  See how far that takes you.

Spoiler alert: it won't take you very far

1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

might explain why Ottawa isn't very loud right now. 

They left the NASL because of "high costs" so I doubt we see them in here right now. That group does not have the passion for the sport to undertake this. When the league stabilizes and becomes a sound investment, we could see them at that point but maybe another option for the city might come as well.

Edited by Macksam