CPL new teams speculation

I think when you get to a CPL 2 scenario it has to be regionalized , the country is just too big. Not many countries in the world have to deal with the sort of travel the CPL will have to deal with. It’s just something the CPL will have to deal with, but if a lower tier is created you can’t expect clubs with smaller budgets to travel all over the country to play games. Countries that can fit into Canada 100 times where travel is not really a big issue still regionalize their lower tiers.

12 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I think when you get to a CPL 2 scenario it has to be regionalized , the country is just too big. Not many countries in the world have to deal with the sort of travel the CPL will have to deal with. It’s just something the CPL will have to deal with, but if a lower tier is created you can’t expect clubs with smaller budgets to travel all over the country to play games. Countries that can fit into Canada 100 times where travel is not really a big issue still regionalize their lower tiers.

Good thing we have Australia to copy...or Russia's....or China's. There's only 3 countries you can look at when it comes to Canada's size....well 4 but if I include the States people will yell at me and I will cry.

Side note: $10 says no matter what model the CPL and the CSA are going to make a mess of it.

Edited by matty

Australia's second tier is regionalized and it's first tier hasn't worked well in smaller sub 1 million markets as the budgets involved are too high. The other three have much larger populations and many more large cities available to support fully pro teams. We'll be doing very well to sustain one national air travel tier. The pro/rel talk is probably more about marketing than anything else.

7 hours ago, matty said:

Good thing we have Australia to copy...or Russia's....or China's. There's only 3 countries you can look at when it comes to Canada's size....well 4 but if I include the States people will yell at me and I will cry.

You also forgot Brazil, which is actually larger than Australia according to Wikipedia. How do they manage a 4 Tier professional system? We could do worse.

7 minutes ago, Initial B said:

You also forgot Brazil, which is actually larger than Australia according to Wikipedia. How do they manage a 4 Tier professional system? We could do worse.

Brazil has 200M people with most of the population concentration in the east...Russia 140M people and most of the population in is the west.

Canada is much more spread out with less overall population.

Australia is the only real comparable one imo. And from what I remember even a lot of their teams in the first divsion are clustered in the large metro areas. This is a way to reduce travel costs.

I think a second tier in Canada would have to be regionalized. 

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

I didn't forget Brazil, Australia's system also has New Zealand and Brazil also has fewer time zones than those nations (except China, who are just larger than Brazil)

Edited by matty

6 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Brazil has 200M people with most of the population concentration in the east...Russia 140M people and most of the population in is the west.

Canada is much more spread out with less overall population.

Australia is the only real comparable one imo. And from what I remember even a lot of their teams in the first divsion are clustered in the large metro areas. This is a way to reduce travel costs.

I think a second tier in Canada would have to be regionalized. 

But the majority of Canada's population is also in a pretty straight line within 200 km of the US border, so another pair of countries with a similar linear population distribution would be Chile and Argentina. In both Argentina and Brazil (in fact, most countries in the world), their 3rd division is regionalized with teams divided into 2-5 groups. In some African nations and most of Concacaf, the federations regionalize the 2nd division as well. Canada wouldn't be out of place to have CPL Div II split into regions where bus transportation is feasible for two-thirds of the trips and planes would be required for the remaining third.  That would be less of a shock for teams making the jump from Div 2 to Div 1 as well as Div 3 to Div 2.

Was just randomly reading twitter and happened to see this tweet:

Can't tell how to read into this and whether he is referring to organizational work or something more. Don't think guy is wealthy from what I can tell but he does own a minority stake in RCD Mallorca with Steve Nash apparently.

Edited by mpg_29

10 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Was just randomly reading twitter and happened to see this tweet:

Can't tell how to read into this and whether he is referring to organizational work or something more. Don't think guy is wealthy from what I can tell but he does own a minority stake in RCD Mallorca with Steve Nash apparently.

I don't know if he still does it but Martino did NBC coverage for the PL. He's also married to Susan Sarandon's daughter. He's always seemed a stand up guy so if he is running a project with De Ro up here I'll be following along for sure. De Ro already has a women's L10 team, maybe he's adding a men's one too?

17 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I don't know if he still does it but Martino did NBC coverage for the PL. He's also married to Susan Sarandon's daughter. He's always seemed a stand up guy so if he is running a project with De Ro up here I'll be following along for sure. De Ro already has a women's L10 team, maybe he's adding a men's one too?

Speaking of DeRo, apparently his son left TFCA to join NYCFC? Anyone know more about it? I asked directly, but he never responded.

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

So...WTF

Saw this too and was like wtf.... 

actually huge for the league and team.

probably means the end for TFC 2, but also means that they will play their young players there. Another team with strong ownership can’t  hurt and sounds like TFC going forward will be very academy based.

5 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Saw this too and was like wtf.... 

actually huge for the league and team.

probably means the end for TFC 2, but also means that they will play their young players there. Another team with strong ownership can’t  hurt and sounds like TFC going forward will be very academy based.

I can't see the league agreeing to this hence negotiations... they didn't agree to that before, can't see them agree to this now

TFC as a minority owner makes the most sense to me

Edited by Ansem

Manning is TFC president and his club is in free fall, I think it’s just a timely comment.  Maybe they are in negotiations but I’d guess he’s being misleading.  Why would the league do that and screw over the other Ontario teams, in particular Young’s team.  It’s all about positioning here.  They want to maintain the idea they’re top dog no matter what. 

Interesting.

Didn't TFC initially say they would move TFC2 to CPL but the CPL said no (as they should have) as they don't want to label the league as 2nd tier?  If that was the case I don't see how CPL would've changed their tune at this point. 

Could this then be MLSE looking at getting another club?  Unlikely.

Sounds like TFC2 be moving back to L1O (who CPL owns) with the "negotiations with Ottawa" seems like they would become the destination for "graduates" from TFC2 that are beyond L1O but below MLS. 

Or it could be MLSE seeing a bit of inertia behind CPL and thinking it might be a good move to diversify their portfolio with an independent CPL team.  And to be honest, I could support that as long as their were rules in place to prevent it from being TFC2.  Limit player loans from one club and voila - no "farm team" ethos (even if their top prospects would inevitably move to TFC).  

At the end of the day, what this league needs is as many strong ownership groups in as many viable markets as possible.  It would be hard to argue that MLSE doesn't easily match those criteria.  

Same with Ottawa for that matter. Despite some of the bullshit, at this point pretty much everyone still stands to gain if OSEG come into the fold.  Have to bury any grudges quickly (at least at the ownership level - let the fan and team rivalries sort the rest out) but to the vast vast majority of people who will support the league, it's not like so much has happened that things can't still work out. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Or it could be MLSE seeing a bit of inertia behind CPL and thinking it might be a good move to diversify their portfolio with an independent CPL team.  And to be honest, I could support that as long as their were rules in place to prevent it from being TFC2.  Limit player loans from one club and voila - no "farm team" ethos (even if their top prospects would inevitably move to TFC).  

At the end of the day, what this league needs is as many strong ownership groups in as many viable markets as possible.  It would be hard to argue that MLSE doesn't easily match those criteria.  

Same with Ottawa for that matter. Despite some of the bullshit, at this point pretty much everyone stands to gain if OSEG come into the fold.  Have to bury any grudges quickly (at least at the ownership level - let the fan and team rivalries sort the rest out) but to the vast vast majority of people who will support the league, it's not like so much has happened that things can't still work out. 

Agreed. I keep thinking that mlse investment into fc London, which they current ly have an affiliation agreement, would be a good idea. 

But imagine a game of throne-esque move of mlse moving into Ottawa after previously supporting fury vs concacaf. Lol

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Or it could be MLSE seeing a bit of inertia behind CPL and thinking it might be a good move to diversify their portfolio with an independent CPL team.  And to be honest, I could support that as long as their were rules in place to prevent it from being TFC2.  Limit player loans from one club and voila - no "farm team" ethos...

Bingo. In England there is a rule that you cannot own two teams. It is a good rule. I think we all know what would happen if MLSE were allowed to own both a CPL team and an MLS team. The optics would end up being bad for CPL. (Imagine TFC "negotiating" a transfer fee for a player who is tearing up CPL for TFC2.)

Edited by dsqpr

10 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

So Duane Rollins tweeted that it wouldn’t be a TFC 2, something different so...

No way the CPL would let it exist like that. 

I have no problem with MLSE having a club in the CPL. I think that would be great but it shouldn't be a feeder club. We dont want a situation in the Voyaguers cup where tfc play their CPL affiliate and a champions league place is more important to tfc. 

I'd say the CPL wouldnt be happy with an MLS owner having a team in the CPL but hasnt Bob young got his fingers in all the pies with investments in multiple clubs?

An interesting development either way if true. 

Putting aside the optics, feasibilty and politics of it all - how peculiar would it be for one ownership group to own two completely independant teams in two completely independant leagues both playing out of the same stadium? (I'm not actually suggesting that they will both play out of BMO!). Throw the Argos in the mix and you have a real conundrum...Argos might be looking for a new home again?!!

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

So Duane Rollins tweeted that it wouldn’t be a TFC 2, something different so...

That's starting to make some sense.

That's a massive difference than the 1st pitch of dumping TFC III... later corrected to TFC II

MLSE major stakeholders are Bell and Rogers. If CPL can put in a contract that MLSE must have an independent manager for the CPL side and that TFC has ZERO say, it can work.

Bell & Rogers just wants profits, they likely don't give a crap about a "preference" between CPL and MLS as long as it makes money and increase value for them. That would also increase the likelihood of seeing CPL on TV as both shareholder will want their property on TV.

That's a HUGE difference here.

***Add: CPL could insist that Bell and Rogers be the sole owners leaving Kilmer Sports out of it under a new company created for the CPL team only to avoid conflict of interest. If that's the case. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***Also have to think that the media deal and the quality of the production had a huge effect in getting the telecoms attention. That's more content for their plateform and more opportunity to promote themselves via the league...coast to coast. This is 100% a business decision, not a sport decision like the 1st pitch.

So start speculating

Where?

1. Sharing BMO?
  2. Revamped Varsity, Downtown Toronto?
  3. York University once York 9 leaves?
  4. Downsview Park, North York team?
  5. London?
Edited by Ansem