CPL new teams speculation

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Probably not the right thread, and likely very few will disagree with this, but I hope there won't be expansion drafts if/when the league expands.

I'd go one step further and hope that CanPL player contracts don't allow for the unilateral right for clubs to trade players within the league. If CanPL Club A wants CanPL Club B's player, they should have to make an offer to buy the contract of that player from the club, as well as negotiating fresh personal terms with the player, himself. That'll truly differentiate CanPL from every other North American professional sports league.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:43 PM, CDNFootballer said:

So whats available Stadium wise in Laval?

the team will play in Stade Desjardins, in Complexe sportif Bois-de-Boulogne. It is the stadium used by Blainville during the Voyageurs Cup games

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'd go one step further and hope that CanPL player contracts don't allow for the unilateral right for clubs to trade players within the league. If CanPL Club A wants CanPL Club B's player, they should have to make an offer to buy the contract of that player from the club, as well as negotiating fresh personal terms with the player, himself. That'll truly differentiate CanPL from every other North American professional sports league.

Absolutely! Probably the major thing that puts me off MLS. 

I don't want what happened to Ciman to happen to any other player..

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I agree for the long term but there wouldn’t be a lot of movement with the tight salary cap in the first few years. What we are used to seeing with purchases in Europe is a player being pulled up into a bigger club of league where they can earn significantly more. A standout CPL player in the first few years would likely only be able to earn an extra 20k from a team with more cap room. That’s to say nothing of wanting to keep good assets out of the hands of a rival, which every other team will be in a small league. 

2 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Absolutely! Probably the major thing that puts me off MLS. 

I don't want what happened to Ciman to happen to any other player..

Can you imagine a good international player making the decision to move to CanPL...

Let's say he's South American, brought up through a major club's academy system. He's tight with the coaches throughout that club's system, and the national youth set-up, as well as having a lot of footballing friends and acquaintances playing throughout South America and Europe. At the age of 26, he's realised that he's never going to be an international superstar. He's recently gotten married and has a kid on the way, so he's not overly enthused about a nomadic career bouncing around various Eastern European leagues. He's got some family friends on Vancouver Island and has heard that you can find a lot of the comforts of home a short ferry ride away in Vancouver. Despite the fact that he can earn much more in China, he's decided that Victoria is somewhere that he'd like to settle for a few years, as it's a great environment in which to raise his children.

After a few months in Victoria, he's loving life. He has a nice house in a scenic neighbourhood. His wife has settled in nicely with a small, but dedicated, support network while she navigates her way as a first-time parent. The football side has been a bit mixed, but he's starting to find his feet in an improving team and is ready to kick on for a late-season push up the table. Then, one morning, out of the blue, his phone rings...

Pacific have traded him to Winnipeg without his consent. How can they do this? What do you mean he should have read the fine print in his contract? Where the fuck is Winnipeg, even?!!?

Good luck signing any more promising South American players, now.

We might see solid internationals from CONCACAF minnows come to the league in the first year or two, but you'd be looking at the likes of Belize and Saint Kitts and not any of the stronger Latin nations, I'm sure. There are certainly going to be perks with respect to starting an international career in Canada, and all the intangibles we have to offer as a country, but let's not overestimate things given the rather small salaries being offered.

I think you can have trades if all players involved agree to the terms. Nothing preventing trades in other football leagues and it does happen from time to time. 

I would avoid intetleague transfers where possible, just because this seems like a needless expenditure to me. I suppose if we find "have and have not" clubs it could be a means toward reveneu sharing, but I'd still prefer if most transfer were up and out.

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Can you imagine a good international player making the decision to move to CanPL...

Let's say he's South American, brought up through a major club's academy system. He's tight with the coaches throughout that club's system, and the national youth set-up, as well as having a lot of footballing friends and acquaintances playing throughout South America and Europe. At the age of 26, he's realised that he's never going to be an international superstar. He's recently gotten married and has a kid on the way, so he's not overly enthused about a nomadic career bouncing around various Eastern European leagues. He's got some family friends on Vancouver Island and has heard that you can find a lot of the comforts of home a short ferry ride away in Vancouver. Despite the fact that he can earn much more in China, he's decided that Victoria is somewhere that he'd like to settle for a few years, as it's a great environment in which to raise his children.

After a few months in Victoria, he's loving life. He has a nice house in a scenic neighbourhood. His wife has settled in nicely with a small, but dedicated, support network while she navigates her way as a first-time parent. The football side has been a bit mixed, but he's starting to find his feet in an improving team and is ready to kick on for a late-season push up the table. Then, one morning, out of the blue, his phone rings...

Pacific have traded him to Winnipeg without his consent. How can they do this? What do you mean he should have read the fine print in his contract? Where the fuck is Winnipeg, even?!!?

Good luck signing any more promising South American players, now.

Or that exact same scenario happens with a league that doesn't have unilateral trades, but instead of him getting traded the team just doesn't want him anymore. His contract is terminated or not renewed or he's told he's going to be sold (even if he has to agree on the destination, no doubt his options will be limited). If he wants to keep playing pro soccer he's still gotta move.

For me, not having trades against a player's will is a nice to have, but it's not that big a deal for me as a fan. I brought up the expansion draft because that's a scenario where a player is just ripped away from your team and that sucks as a fan of that team. Each team gets its talent base diluted instead of just having a presumably weaker team join in having to play catch up. It would hurt our chances in CONCACAF play if/when CPL teams are involved as well.

Trades, sure it's not ideal for the players, but for the most part I'm cheering for the team, not the player's personal life. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's my reality. Feel good stories for players are nice, but they are bonus, rather than necessary.

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I think you can have trades if all players involved agree to the terms. Nothing preventing trades in other football leagues and it does happen from time to time. 

I would avoid intetleague transfers where possible, just because this seems like a needless expenditure to me. I suppose if we find "have and have not" clubs it could be a means toward reveneu sharing, but I'd still prefer if most transfer were up and out.

Right to clarify, I am not against trades in general but specifically the ability to move players without their consent.

3 hours ago, Nerf said:

A team in Quebec will be great for the league.

If it gets the league to take translation and French-language content seriously, it might also draw a LOT more fans from Francophone regions to the league. That's a major bonus, as a french-language TV deal would be a decent cash injection. 

The league should be pushing the French-language aspect of the league to make it more representative nationally.  All league content should be bilingual if they are planning on being recognized as the legitimate D1 national league.  It also makes sense from a broadcasting and business perspective as well as they'd be tapping into a 7+ million market. 

Teams in primary francophone cities (Montreal/Laval and Quebec) and in bilingual ones (Ottawa and Moncton) would create a nice footprint with the possibility of future D2 sides in smaller markets.  No sport or single league other than hockey (QMJHL) would have such a presence in the key francophone markets.  

Edited by tovan1