CPL new teams speculation

7 hours ago, tovan1 said:

The league should be pushing the French-language aspect of the league to make it more representative nationally.  All league content should be bilingual if they are planning on being recognized as the legitimate D1 national league.  It also makes sense from a broadcasting and business perspective as well as they'd be tapping into a 7+ million market. 

Teams in primary francophone cities (Montreal/Laval and Quebec) and in bilingual ones (Ottawa and Moncton) would create a nice footprint with the possibility of future D2 sides in smaller markets.  No sport or single league other than hockey (QMJHL) would have such a presence in the key francophone markets.  

I've been pushing this since day 1. Honestly, the lack of original French language content has me a little turned off. They didn't even bother to translate most of the video on the site.  

I know what I'm about to say is super unpopular - especially with non-French speakers - but the absolute hatred the Ottawa Fury (the only non-MLS team that has any French Language communication) have received from supporters of the CPL has me really put off on what the C in CPL represents. 

I know that what I am saying won't make a lick of sense to some, and is absolute sacrilege to others,  but if my choices are a robust CPL that doesn't communicate or invest in my Canada, or me paying to go see Montréal and Ottawa in American leagues but the games are in French, well, I'm sticking with what represents my version of Canada.  C'est mon pays aussi. 

7 hours ago, tovan1 said:

Teams in primary francophone cities (Montreal/Laval and Quebec) and in bilingual ones (Ottawa and Moncton) would create a nice footprint with the possibility of future D2 sides in smaller markets.  No sport or single league other than hockey (QMJHL) would have such a presence in the key francophone markets.  

This is also a super astute business observation. Kudos for bringing it up. There are more Francophones outside of Québec than there are people in Manitoba. We need something to follow. 

3 minutes ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I've been pushing this since day 1. Honestly, the lack of original French language content has me a little turned off. They didn't even bother to translate most of the video on the site.  

I know what I'm about to say is super unpopular - especially with non-French speakers - but the absolute hatred the Ottawa Fury (the only non-MLS team that has any French Language communication) have received from supporters of the CPL has me really put off on what the C in CPL represents. 

I know that what I am saying won't make a lick of sense to some, and is absolute sacrilege to others,  but if my choices are a robust CPL that doesn't communicate or invest in my Canada, or me paying to go see Montréal and Ottawa in American leagues but the games are in French, well, I'm sticking with what represents my version of Canada.  C'est mon pays aussi. 

I agree. I do understand their point of view though. With the league being very local, I get why they don’t have too much French content. As of right now, they likely don’t have a huge French speaking audience. I believe they have even have hired local journalists to write for CPL.

If they don’t have enough content come the time when a French place is in the league then there is a big problem. As of right now, before the league has even kicked off I can understand a bit.

14 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I agree. I do understand their point of view though. With the league being very local, I get why they don’t have too much French content. As of right now, they likely don’t have a huge French speaking audience. I believe they have even have hired local journalists to write for CPL.

If they don’t have enough content come the time when a French place is in the league then there is a big problem. As of right now, before the league has even kicked off I can understand a bit.

What is a French place? Like, if you ask one of us, Saint-Boniface or Saint-Norbert (Winnipeg) IS a French place. Would Ottawa meet the criteria? Moncton? At what point do we go from "ignored" to "target market"?

I don't think its a question we'll solve on this board, and I don't want to pretend that I have all the answers, but the response of much of the fanbase has left a bad taste in some of our mouths Re: the language issue.  

1 hour ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

I wouldn't let that turn you off. As adamant as many on this board are, remember what a tiny portion of the overall fan base this forum represents.

This board is literally the 1% of the 1% of Canadian soccer supporters. I'd bet most fans around the country don't really care (or even know) about the Fury vs. CPL fight.

Agreed on your larger point about the lack of French communication from the league, though.

8 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

This would only make sense if the hatred you're referring to had anything to do with language. Did you get similarly fired up when Francophone hockey players like Claude Lemieux or Alex Burrows were getting excoriated across the country for some of the on-ice behaviours? Do you believe that the Ottawa Fury should be given a free pass for anything they do, or don't do, simply because they have a bilingual website?

Now, your point about the lack of truly bilingual content is fair enough, but I'd urge patience on that, at least until there's a team or two in largely Francophone markets. As it stands, CanPL is a start-up without tons of financial backers.

Edited by SthMelbRed

30 minutes ago, Kent said:

On the language issue, the league is making videos with slick production, are producing lots of written content, etc. They give the impression that they should be able to hire a full time translator or two to make everything available in French. Hopefully they sort it out sooner rather than later.

And the thing is that a full time translator would likely make more (or a yearly basis) than many of the CPL players.  I say this with no commentary or judgment.

Having bilingual and original French-language content is an absolute must for this league if it wants to be truly national. For the time being, no, there are no teams located in Quebec, but we've already seen plenty of signals that this is set to change before too long. Even then, there are over two million francophones living outside of Quebec. Not only does having proper French-language content show that the league is seriously committing to its national ambitions, but it also taps into historically underserved markets. Being able to engage interest among Acadiens for HFX Wanderers (and hopefully a Moncton team before long), Francomanitobains for Valour, Francoalbertans for FC Edmonton and Cavalry, etc., is only going to help move things forward and build even stronger links to the respective communities/fans.

The current situation not only does not engage these fans, but can (and honestly, in my opinion, should) be taken as a slight against them. I'm not even Francophone (though admittedly a very strong Francophile), and I'm pretty upset by all this. L'Impact de Montréal, le Fury d'Ottawa (to an extent) and les Sénateurs d'Ottawa have complete bilingual content and present a large portion (if not all) of their social media posts in both languages. Hell, the Sens even offer a bilingual third jersey. Having a national league make a half-assed attempt at offering French-language content just to say that they did comes off as incredibly condescending.

This isn't rocket science, and it's not difficult to fix.

Hiring an extra staffer or two, or even putting in place a simple standing offer with a translation service, to provide French-language content isn't exactly going to break the bank. I've worked in public, private, and even not-for-profit shops (!) that still dedicated the resources to bilingual content because they understood the value of it. Some of these were massive organizations with huge budgets, and some of these were as small as five full-time staff and relying entirely on grants and donations. But they all had the common sense to recognize that circumstance should not impact equality in content delivery.  

I'm willing to accept a lot of things in year one of the league, due to start-up costs, lack of experience, and a thousand other factors. But this is one point on which I will not - and no one should - budge. This is a bilingual country, and that means a bilingual league. Point final.

6 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Hiring an extra staffer or two, or even putting in place a simple standing offer with a translation service, to provide French-language content isn't exactly going to break the bank. I've worked in public, private, and even not-for-profit shops (!) that still dedicated the resources to bilingual content because they understood the value of it. Some of these were massive organizations with huge budgets, and some of these were as small as five full-time staff and relying entirely on grants and donations. But they all had the common sense to recognize that circumstance should not impact equality in content delivery.  

I'm willing to accept a lot of things in year one of the league, due to start-up costs, lack of experience, and a thousand other factors. But this is one point on which I will not - and no one should - budge. This is a bilingual country, and that means a bilingual league. Point final.

If you contract out (which is what CPL would do), you're probably looking at around 20+ cents per word. Not cheap by any means, but if you only translate the official league/club announcements and invest in French original content providers, likely won't break the bank either.

20 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

If you contract out (which is what CPL would do), you're probably looking at around 20+ cents per word. Not cheap by any means, but if you only translate the official league/club announcements and invest in French original content providers, likely won't break the bank either.

Not "cheap", but as you agree, not going to break the bank. The CPL has seen the value in investing in English-language articles, interviews, press releases, backgrounders, videos, social media feeds, a full website and a mobile app, and not *one* person has questioned either the necessity of doing these things or incurring the necessary costs. Meanwhile, when it comes to French-language content, they've half-assed the website, translated a few random articles . . . and that's it.

In Canada, that's just unacceptable. 

At a *bare minimum*, translating what is already being produced allows for equivalent content at a much cheaper rate than providing original content (original content should be generated as well, but at this rate even the baby step of fully translating the English-language content would be a huge leap forward). This is 100% reasonable, easily doable for a league that has already managed to do so many other things, and absolutely to be expected from the CPL. 

7 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

Starting with the basics, how much would it have cost to have this in both languages?  For me, even as an anglophone in a very anglo

province, this is embarrassing.

794574123_ScreenShot2019-01-16at10_15_48PM.png.5d2bd1988f48abd00006c48eae7043af.png  

I thought originally there was going to be a French version of the website. Honestly it's not hard to have a button on the top of the webpage for english/french. Websites have been doing that since the late 90s. 

2 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I thought originally there was going to be a French version of the website. Honestly it's not hard to have a button on the top of the webpage for english/french. Websites have been doing that since the late 90s. 

They do: https://fr.canpl.ca/ . It's hidden under the "More" submenu. Sadly, few articles are translated to French and there is no original content (yet). That's the whole issue currently being discussed, although it should probably be in its own thread.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I'm as Anglo as they come and I think this is a huge issue. The more awareness and stink until its fixed the better. 

I agree on both fronts: it's an issue that needs to be addressed, and yes, it's own thread would be great, or in a thread dedicated to where we as supporters want to affect change on certain issues.