CPL new teams speculation

19 hours ago, BillyBob said:

https://the11.ca/clanachan-canpl-is-zeroed-in-on-seven-teams-for-2019/

Old but just set the tone.

It seems like by 2020, you'll have Ottawa, K-W, Saska and Quebec. 

For those in the know, do you think Saska would eventually have one team or two for each city. I just now noticed how relatively small they are.

Regina & Saskatoon are both viable markets.  

...in terms of the league's stated goals at this point. If Halifax and Victoria both work out well in year one, the rate of expansion is likely to be greatly enhanced because would be investors and municipalities will be a lot more likely to invest well into seven figures where stadium infrastructure is concerned. The stadium is the big stumbling block according to David Clanachan. If Taylor Field hadn't been bulldozed and a scaled down version could have been retrofitted for soccer as Joe Belan wanted, Regina might have been the missing team number 8.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, Zem said:

You would at least be an entertaining troll if you weren't so obviously clueless and arbitrarily anti-NL.

I know people who do literally come here from the Burin and Central for shopping and events like concerts and sports. Not to say that they'd make up a significant proportion of people at soccer games, but it illustrates the fact that Newfoundlanders are already used to travelling very long distances for similar events and basically anyone on the Avalon would happily drive to see a game if they were at all interested.

And I shouldn't need to explain to you that you don't need a million people to get a few thousand in the stands every game, particularly on an island starved of pro sports. Population is far from everything and St. John's is right around the level everyone's talking about with regards to division II regardless.

At any rate, welcome to the ignore list.

I am a Newfoundlander, I think I would know the difference. 

there aren't any events for people to travel for. last time I checked Newfoundland isn't the greatest business center at the moment. I highly doubt it would get the attendance, corporate sponsorship, etc to compete in a tier 1. I dont believe the CSA will have a tier 2 for a number of years if its viable which I do not believe it will. 

Newfoundlanders are not starved of pro sports - pro hockey usually starts well then flickers off. ECHL currently has to give away a large portion of tickets to get to 3000 people a game. 

If Saskatchewan is to have a team, and only one team, in my opinion it should be in Saskatoon. It is larger, and in my experience, more "cosmopolitan", to the extent that any Canadian prairie city can be described as such. It also has the added advantage of not having to compete with the Riders in the immediate local market. And selfishly, despite being a longer drive, it is by far a more enjoyable city to visit from Winnipeg than the provincial capital.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:29 PM, CDNFootballer said:

This is good to hear, hope it comes to complete fruition.

No unofficial reserve teams or affiliate setups, good CPL is thinking ahead so Canada's D1 is not diminished in any way.

Loans will not diminish a team or league , 99 percent of the fans will have no clue, only us few on boards like this will even notice a player is a loan from another league or even another CPL team, players are loaned all the time in most leagues around the world even loaned within teams from the same league so don’t see what all the fuss is about in having loan players in the CPL . Moreover, a league doesn’t have to sign any type of affiliation thing to have players loaned to teams in it’s league so no need for the CPL to sign any affiliation deals .

Edited by 1996

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

If Saskatchewan is to have a team, and only one team, in my opinion it should be in Saskatoon. It is larger, and in my experience, more "cosmopolitan", to the extent that any Canadian prairie city can be described as such. It also has the added advantage of not having to compete with the Riders in the immediate local market. And selfishly, despite being a longer drive, it is by far a more enjoyable city to visit from Winnipeg than the provincial capital.

You clearly don’t know where to go when you visit Regina. ?

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

It would make sense to have a team partner with the riders and play out of the same stadium 

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Saskatoon has been in the mix for some time now.  It sounds like they are coming along.  But if the Riders decide to pull the trigger on CPL, they can cross market with their existing Rider fans.  They have the stadium, the same as Valour's IGF.  Mosaic just needs a new rug.  SK derby......would be fantastic.  Valour would be into both like a dirty shirt.  Short road trip for both Edmonton and Calgary as well. If Valour works out, Riders are in for sure.  That would be a HUGE boost to CPL.

17 minutes ago, matty said:

wait what?

It's possible I worded that awkwardly.

If you allow CPL teams to set up unlimited loan partnerships with MLS sides, then what would probably happen is we'd get 3 such relationships.  Makes sense for let's say TFC to partner up with a nearby CPL side, send TFCII grads there, ensuring they play together and build chemistry before making the jump to MLS, and are also playing nearby to make recalls easier. 

The Impact and Whitecaps would do the same, and you'd have a situation where 3 CPL clubs have a steady incoming stream of relatively talented young players from the best funded youth academies in the country.

A CPL side in Saskatchewan meanwhile would be SOL.  I was trying to say that it wouldn't be good for the league. 

2 minutes ago, warpus said:

If you allow CPL teams to set up unlimited loan partnerships with MLS sides, then what would probably happen is we'd get 3 such relationships.  Makes sense for let's say TFC to partner up with a nearby CPL side, send TFCII grads there, ensuring they play together and build chemistry before making the jump to MLS, and are also playing nearby to make recalls easier. 

The Impact and Whitecaps would do the same, and you'd have a situation where 3 CPL clubs have a steady incoming stream of relatively talented young players from the best funded youth academies in the country.

A CPL side in Saskatchewan meanwhile would be SOL.  I was trying to say that it wouldn't be good for the league. 

Ok you so were talking about partnerships rather than an everyday normal relationship between teams. I don't think many would disagree that if that was a possibility (MLS-CPL affiliations) that sort of relationship would happen.

12 minutes ago, warpus said:

Interesting point. I think a lot may depend on what sort of loan rules are in place for the recall of players. I wouldn't want to see any loans that are for less than half a season.  If that is the case, I don't really think team location matters that much. The MLS clubs will look for the best option for their player to get playing time. 

46 minutes ago, top cheese said:

It would make sense to have a team partner with the riders and play out of the same stadium 

Again unless they can fill most of that stadium better to play in a smaller stadium like Edmonton and Calgary are doing , a packed and full 6000  seat stadium is so much better for atmosphere than 6000 in a 25000 seat stadium.

1 hour ago, warpus said:

Players should have the freedom to chose the best loan offer available; be it a CPL team in their city, another CPL team, or a loan to another league entirely. Not everything needs to be orchestrated by rules. It stifles character and originality. Let clubs and players decide who plays where. That’s what makes things interesting.

13 hours ago, masster said:

Interesting point. I think a lot may depend on what sort of loan rules are in place for the recall of players. I wouldn't want to see any loans that are for less than half a season.  If that is the case, I don't really think team location matters that much. The MLS clubs will look for the best option for their player to get playing time. 

I think if the CPL clubs are going to go with relatively small rosters (20-22), there will be a bunch of short term loans just to cover potential injuries and the like.  But I would imagine they will come from L1O or the PQ league, bringing up promising youngsters and not coming down from MLS.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think if the CPL clubs are going to go with relatively small rosters (20-22), there will be a bunch of short term loans just to cover potential injuries and the like.  But I would imagine they will come from L1O or the PQ league, bringing up promising youngsters and not coming down from MLS.  

Why would you imagine that? Just curious. I know CPL brought L1O but you usually don't see players loaned up. I honestly thought that move was more for loaning guys down or to get younger guys minutes.

Also did anyone else see Larson mention that rosters will likely be on the smaller side on Reddit?

Also re-loans: I expect them from Latin American and MLS mainly but also think we'll see CPL loan out too. I also expect loans coming in will mostly be of non-Canadian players.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Since the clubs don't have reserve teams yet, there are two options: having large rosters (25-30) or having small roster (20-23) and get loans when needed

22 hours ago, 1996 said:

Loans will not diminish a team or league , 99 percent of the fans will have no clue, only us few on boards like this will even notice a player is a loan from another league or even another CPL team, players are loaned all the time in most leagues around the world even loaned within teams from the same league so don’t see what all the fuss is about in having loan players in the CPL . Moreover, a league doesn’t have to sign any type of affiliation thing to have players loaned to teams in it’s league so no need for the CPL to sign any affiliation deals .

The discussion was a rule to limit the amount of loans one team could make to a single CPL club, seemingly to stop an MLS franchise from making a CPL club an unofficial affiliate or reserve team and/or appear for them to be that. This type of rule is good and CPL has to think ahead and put these type of rules in place so the league is seen for what it is, Canada's top tier, without any minor league affiliates or reserve teams (official or not) but strictly independent clubs only (especially important in its early years).

A loan or two to a CPL club here or there is fine.

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I'd be surprised if any non-Canadian MLS players are loaned here. We've already heard that Gale is working on an arrangement with an English club. You want to sell a few extra tickets, loans from clubs abroad would be more helpful imo. Instant credibility if the club is a decent size.

I think there will be some but probably not many, maybe like 2 a season max. I'm think it would be something like a age 25+ starter being loaned in should they lose there spot in a best XI to relieve cap space for the MLS team during the window. Think Clint Irwin, someone you don't need but want to keep around. I mainly mentioned MLS to sorta say most guys loaned in will be from this region.

Assuming you mean upper level top tier (EPL, Serie A, Ligue 1, ect) loaning in youngsters to CPL, I could maybe see that selling tickets, MAYBE. I think there's of a track record from MLS to show "hot young prospects" from Europe are no guarantee of anything. I think you'd need like a loanee with some real hype to have them noticeably boost tickets.

7 hours ago, matty said:

Why would you imagine that? Just curious. I know CPL brought L1O but you usually don't see players loaned up. I honestly thought that move was more for loaning guys down or to get younger guys minutes.

Also did anyone else see Larson mention that rosters will likely be on the smaller side on Reddit?

Also re-loans: I expect them from Latin American and MLS mainly but also think we'll see CPL loan out too. I also expect loans coming in will mostly be of non-Canadian players.

I was thinking we would see more of a "'bring a kid up" from the "farm team" to fill the roster when the unavoidable injuries come up.  So and So from Vaughn, Blainville or Oakville comes up for 4 weeks while our regular LB heals up.  I dont know if there will be many loans coming from the MLS sides.  Do they really want to help us and does CPL want to look like they need MLS loanees??  Maybe down the road once we are established, but I would bet it will be standoffish this first season.   

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I was thinking we would see more of a "'bring a kid up" from the "farm team" to fill the roster when the unavoidable injuries come up.  So and So from Vaughn, Blainville or Oakville comes up for 4 weeks while our regular LB heals up.  I dont know if there will be many loans coming from the MLS sides.  Do they really want to help us and does CPL want to look like they need MLS loanees??  Maybe down the road once we are established, but I would bet it will be standoffish this first season.   

Ok, yea I could see that happening if like 3 guys on a 22 man roster go down. Can't see if for fewer than that but that's just me. Not sure if it would be labeled loans so much as like a short term contact sort of thing but that's just arguing terms I guess (as it's basically an invisible loan).

I went over my take on what kind of MLS loans I mostly see coming in above (cap relief ones) and think both would be stupid not to engage in this sort of thing at times in moderation. It's part of the soccer business. And it's not like MLS teams are not going to try and sign or buy CPL talent that catches their eyes. Totally agree it likely won't happen in year 1 and likely 2 or 3 as MLS publicly have claimed they are unsure of the CPL's level.

Edited by matty