Milan Borjan

Vince193

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

When did he say that? Not doubting, just haven't heard that before.

http://www.crvenazvezdafk.com/en/vest/8086/terzic-borjan-ostaje-do-2023 

I first saw it on wikipedia, but there's no source. Did some digging and this is a quote from the sporting director saying that "Borjan was going to remain with us for the rest of his career" I suppose there is some wording there that is open to interpretation. Perhaps he does sign on past that.

I'm not sure where I read it but I seem to recall Borjan mentioning that he would be willing and interested in playing for Canada in 2026.  This would have been a couple of years ago and perhaps that statement was based off the fact that Canada will be in the 2026 World Cup and at that time, the 2022 World Cup was completely unknown.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

His plan was to retire in 2023. If he leaves I imagine he goes to like the middle east or somewhere similar to get paid.

I could see this happening - especially post Qatar when he is looking at a 4 year cycle to have peak international competition again.  We always appproach this solely from what is good for the Nats but at the end of the day these guys are also looking to maximize their income during their short playing careers.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

13 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Hoo boy. Figure he either joins another club in Serbia or tries to get a contract in North America if he's gone.

Other than Partizan the rest of the clubs in the league are a few levels below where Borjan should be playing. I doubt they would even come close to meeting his wages

24 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Would he be asking too much money even for TFC to swallow??  

If TFC decide to go with the 2 headed shit show that was Bono and Westberg last season it won't matter who they sign to try to put balls in the opposing net, Borjan would be a great signing, I don't know how that fits into all these weird cap and allocation rules the league has!

So been reading the Serbian press, in translation. 

Last week they drew at home 1-1, putting Partizan 5 points above them in the league, so they drop off the title race. The coach Stankovic apparently did not do the habitual press conference and laid into his players afterwards, insulting them for an hour, with some taking it badly and others brushing it off. Borjan stepped in to defend his teammates, and try to be a mediator, as well as mentioning that things were not going well as they were all owed back wages; and Stankovic ended up attacking him and insulting him. Then dropped him for the next match, completely off the roster, which they only pulled out with difficulty against TSC Backa Topola, 2-3 away. BTW, his wife's brother Nenad Filipovic is the keeper for TSC and played that match.

Some report that the club president, Terzic, has his hands tied. That he'd like to be able to get rid of Stankovic, as they do not agree on signings. Even that Terzic is more on the side of the players. But various sources I read claimed that Stankovic was an imposition of the President of Serbia, Vucic (former PM, it's a republic). I am just reporting what I read.

Thing is, Stankovic has been an advisor to Cefferin at UEFA, was touted to be Serbian minister of Sport, was appointed president of the national football association--he has been in positions of power beyond playing and managing, so this is likely where the opinion that he is "protected" by political power comes from. 

Apparently his wife Snezana's Instagram collapsed with messages asking her about his future, and was temporarily closed. As you may recall she's also been a football exec, but she was head of marketing at Partizan, which could also be a subject of controversy.

Today, however, it seems that the official press, or press close to those in power in Serbia, joined in on the attacks on Stankovic. So that suggests that perhaps his political support is flagging, or not as sure as supposed. 

Today's news, as reported above, is that Borjan has asked to have his contract terminated. First, this is odd, as his place at Red Star ensures his spot on the Canadian National Team and ensures we have a keeper at optimum playing level, as he's shown. But then, it seems the reason for asking to end the contract has to do with other issues, which I have not yet found. Does he have a line at another club, perhaps?

Some argue that since Borjan is captain, if the club president lets him go, then he'll lose a good part of the rest of the lockeroom. Surprising, in comments on many articles, that many fans--not all-claim Borjan is the key to their leagues and success in recent years (remember that in this century Partizan rivals them), and even attribute the fact they've moved forwards in Europe to his role. 

Worth remembering that since they won the European Cup in 1991, they really have not done a lot in Europe (and I understand what the 90s were about), no further, I don't think than round of 16, if that. Haven't even made quarter finals of Europa League.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Rumour in the press now is that Borjan wants out of Red Star, not because of the issue with Stankovic, but because he wants to prepare to retire in a “calmer” environment devoid of the constant pressure to win. I can’t imagine that Borjan actually said that as what club wants to pay big $ for a keeper that doesn’t want to deal with pressure. Likely Stankovic, or someone close to him, leaked that BS rumour to the press.

all that said  I would love nothing more that for borjan to come to TFC. He’s a great character and would easily be one of the top keepers in the league for the next few years. Makes too much sense - probably never happens though.

Edited by Floortom

Google gave me this: 

Stanković is known for his unbridled temperament. He is euphoric when it is nice, and he reacts fiercely when the situation is bad. From the moment he entered the locker room, he started shouting at all the players in a row. Degenek was the first to be targeted, who made a partial mistake in conceding a goal. Then he shouted at everyone. And it wouldn't be so terrible and it would have remained among them in the locker room, if Stanković had controlled the vocabulary a little. However, he inappropriately insulted the players, used vulgar and derogatory expressions. To put it mildly, the football players did not like it - our source explains.

500478_zvedza-v-ludogorets-273104_f.jpg?1639722449

starsport / editing

Frequent celebrations are aimed at the players

Red Star football players often go out and hold private celebrations, which is not forbidden by the club's rules, but it affects the quality of training and playing matches. On Friday night, they made a party on the occasion of the placement in the eighth finals of the Europa League.
- It was celebrated in Braga on Thursday night. They should have been patient until these games were over, so let them celebrate. Instead, they had a party in Belgrade on Friday night. They often go out, and that reflects on their readiness. Stankovic expects more responsibility from them - our source points out.

At one point, captain Milan Borjan felt obliged to stand up for his teammates. He got up to try to answer the coach. Instead of calming him down, he only infuriated him even more, and then sparks lit up on both sides.
-Borjan tried to tell Stanković that he had exaggerated, but the coach silenced him as well, insulted him and told him to sit down. Borjan got annoyed and retaliated against Stanković. He told him that it was wrong to address them like that, that the players' salaries were late, that it was wrong to write off some of them, such as Degenek or Pavkov, and then, when it was crowded, to return them under public pressure. That quarrel lasted, and Borjan finally said that he had no intention of defending the autumn half-season against TSC in the last game. After the quarrel, they broke up, but they are still not on good terms. Stankovic and Borjan met at training on Wednesday. The goalkeeper fulfilled his obligations, but he did not have any special contact with the coach. A day later, he was not in the team in the match with TSC - our source explains.
This is not the first time that Stanković had a performance that the players did not like. On several occasions, he got into a clinch with individuals, and several times with a larger group of football players. As a coach, he believes that he has the right to do that, but they do not like such a temperamental way of solving problems. This time the dissatisfaction of the players culminated.

505854_-nik1633_f.jpg?1639722487

Starsportphoto ©

- He has nothing personal against anyone in the team, everything is within the football framework, but he cannot overcome his emotions and solve it a little more calmly. He entered the clinch with Kang several times, grabbed him by the throat, shot him with a ball and the like. According to Degenek, he was sharp several times. Gobeljić almost cried in Braga when he took him out of the game, and then insulted him next to the out-line because of a crooked penalty. He was extremely vulgar - says our interlocutor.

502651_zvezda-vozdovac-94762_f.jpg?1639722530

Starsportphoto

The coach did not spare the first stars of his team, Aleksandar Kataj and Aleksandar Dragović. The two of them, however, did not experience it tragically.
- Katai and Dragović are professionals, they have a slightly different character and they are capable of not taking everything to heart. When they get out of the locker room, they move on. Everyone else is having a hard time with that - our source concludes.

https://informer.rs/sport/c-zvezda/660650/stankovic-borjan-umalo-potukli

Email*
Komentar*

Pravila komentarisanja:

Komentare

logo_footer.png?v=1

2015 - 2021 © Informer

13 minutes ago, nolando said:

Google gave me this: 

Stanković is known for his unbridled temperament. He is euphoric when it is nice, and he reacts fiercely when the situation is bad. From the moment he entered the locker room, he started shouting at all the players in a row. Degenek was the first to be targeted, who made a partial mistake in conceding a goal. Then he shouted at everyone. And it wouldn't be so terrible and it would have remained among them in the locker room, if Stanković had controlled the vocabulary a little. However, he inappropriately insulted the players, used vulgar and derogatory expressions. To put it mildly, the football players did not like it - our source explains.

500478_zvedza-v-ludogorets-273104_f.jpg?1639722449

starsport / editing

Frequent celebrations are aimed at the players

Red Star football players often go out and hold private celebrations, which is not forbidden by the club's rules, but it affects the quality of training and playing matches. On Friday night, they made a party on the occasion of the placement in the eighth finals of the Europa League.
- It was celebrated in Braga on Thursday night. They should have been patient until these games were over, so let them celebrate. Instead, they had a party in Belgrade on Friday night. They often go out, and that reflects on their readiness. Stankovic expects more responsibility from them - our source points out.

At one point, captain Milan Borjan felt obliged to stand up for his teammates. He got up to try to answer the coach. Instead of calming him down, he only infuriated him even more, and then sparks lit up on both sides.
-Borjan tried to tell Stanković that he had exaggerated, but the coach silenced him as well, insulted him and told him to sit down. Borjan got annoyed and retaliated against Stanković. He told him that it was wrong to address them like that, that the players' salaries were late, that it was wrong to write off some of them, such as Degenek or Pavkov, and then, when it was crowded, to return them under public pressure. That quarrel lasted, and Borjan finally said that he had no intention of defending the autumn half-season against TSC in the last game. After the quarrel, they broke up, but they are still not on good terms. Stankovic and Borjan met at training on Wednesday. The goalkeeper fulfilled his obligations, but he did not have any special contact with the coach. A day later, he was not in the team in the match with TSC - our source explains.
This is not the first time that Stanković had a performance that the players did not like. On several occasions, he got into a clinch with individuals, and several times with a larger group of football players. As a coach, he believes that he has the right to do that, but they do not like such a temperamental way of solving problems. This time the dissatisfaction of the players culminated.

505854_-nik1633_f.jpg?1639722487

Starsportphoto ©

- He has nothing personal against anyone in the team, everything is within the football framework, but he cannot overcome his emotions and solve it a little more calmly. He entered the clinch with Kang several times, grabbed him by the throat, shot him with a ball and the like. According to Degenek, he was sharp several times. Gobeljić almost cried in Braga when he took him out of the game, and then insulted him next to the out-line because of a crooked penalty. He was extremely vulgar - says our interlocutor.

502651_zvezda-vozdovac-94762_f.jpg?1639722530

Starsportphoto

The coach did not spare the first stars of his team, Aleksandar Kataj and Aleksandar Dragović. The two of them, however, did not experience it tragically.
- Katai and Dragović are professionals, they have a slightly different character and they are capable of not taking everything to heart. When they get out of the locker room, they move on. Everyone else is having a hard time with that - our source concludes.

https://informer.rs/sport/c-zvezda/660650/stankovic-borjan-umalo-potukli

Email*
Komentar*

Pravila komentarisanja:

Komentare

logo_footer.png?v=1

2015 - 2021 © Informer

You basically just explained why Stefan Mitrovic is happy to get the call from Canada.