Milan Borjan

Vince193

6 minutes ago, to70 said:

Borjan out of this week's Europa League as he is one of four Red Star players had a positive Covid test.

An article mentions that the club performs the tests every Tuesday and Friday. He didn't play this past Sunday it seems but it sounds like he just tested positive today.

Our match against Mexico is in 9 days or so.

Highly unlikely that he travels.

12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Digging further into this - on Sep-21 Borjan went to the hospital because he was ill. At that point he was tested for COVID and was negative.  He was since released home and tested positive but I cant find the exact date he tested. 

He tested positive on the 21st.

Milan Borjan, golman "Crvene zvezde", danas je hitno primljen u Zemunsku bolnicu nakon što mu se slošilo usled zaraze koronavirusom, piše "Kurir".

Zvezdin kapiten jutros je dobio pozitivan nalaz na Kovid-19, a kako se navodi nije jedini, još nekoliko igrača ima koronu, ali se dobro osećaju.

12 minutes ago, to70 said:

He tested positive on the 21st.

Milan Borjan, golman "Crvene zvezde", danas je hitno primljen u Zemunsku bolnicu nakon što mu se slošilo usled zaraze koronavirusom, piše "Kurir".

Zvezdin kapiten jutros je dobio pozitivan nalaz na Kovid-19, a kako se navodi nije jedini, još nekoliko igrača ima koronu, ali se dobro osećaju.

Yah I saw that but then later reports denied the story so Im not sure what to believe

If you read the link below it says the club confirmed the next day that he tested negative and they blamed the illness on a stomach flu that was being passed around the team. They actually tried to have their league match on the 23rd postponed a few days to accommodate the illness. 

https://www.pressserbia.com/zvezda-borjan-negativan-na-koronavirus-trazicemo-odlaganje-utakmice/

If he did test positive on the 21st versus the 27th he would be fine to travel next week (assuming he isnt ill anymore of course)

Edited by Floortom

7 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Yah I saw that but then later reports denied the story so Im not sure what to believe

If you read the link below it says the club confirmed the next day that he tested negative and they blamed the illness on a stomach flu that was being passed around the team. They actually tried to have their league match on the 23rd postponed a few days to accommodate the illness. 

https://www.pressserbia.com/zvezda-borjan-negativan-na-koronavirus-trazicemo-odlaganje-utakmice/

If he did test positive on the 21st he would be fine to travel next week (assuming he isnt ill anymore of course)

From the official Red Star website today, it says that Borjan tested positive. 
http://www.crvenazvezdafk.com/news/details/index/12066

My wife's Serbian and her family are big Red Star fans, so I'll ask them to look into this. But I'll be devastated if he's not able to play :(

Edited by ronjames

I hope you guys are right. Crepeau did look good at the GC and is playing well with Vancouver but this is the BIG stage and he has zero WC appearances right?. Keeper and CB are probably the most pressure positions. Gotta think that at least for the first game in Azteca of all places, he's going to feel the nerves. It's a huge ask.

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

I hope you guys are right. Crepeau did look good at the GC and is playing well with Vancouver but this is the BIG stage and he has zero WC appearances right?. Keeper and CB are probably the most pressure positions. Gotta think that at least for the first game in Azteca of all places, he's going to feel the nerves. It's a huge ask.

He played in the GC against Mexico with 70k or so of their fans so I think he is more then up to the task. That was a neutral site but it was a home game for Mexico. Great warmup for this honestly. 

They are just completely different keepers. Borjan is chaotic and loud while Crepeau is calm and collected. 

To be honest, before the GC, I wasn’t sold as I felt he looked shaky each time I had seen him in the Canada kit. I switched directions after the GC for sure, but I still think he is a step down from Borjan at the biggest stage at this point.  That being said, losing Borjan is now not a nightmare scenario.

Can we also calm down about how big the penalty save was in the Whitecaps game?  For sure it was great, but that was also an awful taken penalty, and I’m a Whitecaps fan.

I think if Borjan can meet up with the squad in Jamaica or even Canada for the final game, then he will.  He is 100% in with this team and this qualifying stage.  I'm sure he's begging Herdman & Red Star to allow him to come for the later games (assuming he is allowed).  

No reason to think he couldn't do what Cavallini did last month.  If you need a 3rd GK for the first game or two you literally have several local MLS options that could slide in but then again you would need to carry 24 players.

Edited by Corazon

28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I kind of thought that too, but hasnt Pantemis taken back over the starting spot over Breza??  I guess St Clair is right out of the picture since he has seen no playing time this summer?

Having watched every minute of each, I feel its no contest, most CFM fans I know feel the same. 

Pantemis isn't bad, but he's not as good as Breza.  I'm guessing this is a business move on CFM's part.  They own Pantemis, while Breza is on loan.  It's in their interest to play and develop Pantemis.  Maybe they're trying to judge his ceiling and make a call between keeping him long term or selling for a profit?  They also have Sirois in the wings, and technically Saputo also owns Breza through Bologna, so they have options, surely just trying to make some cash.  Smart move in my mind.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Having watched every minute of each, I feel its no contest, most CFM fans I know feel the same. 

Pantemis isn't bad, but he's not as good as Breza.  I'm guessing this is a business move on CFM's part.  They own Pantemis, while Breza is on loan.  It's in their interest to play and develop Pantemis.  Maybe they're trying to judge his ceiling and make a call between keeping him long term or selling for a profit?  They also have Sirois in the wings, and technically Saputo also owns Breza through Bologna, so they have options, surely just trying to make some cash.  Smart move in my mind.

I think you're right on but I would also add that it may be a case of "once bitten, twice shy". Pantemis path has a lot of similarities with Crepeau (with the club for a long time, good loan spell, impactful at the youth level for Canada) and they probably feel he deserves a solid shot else he may walk. 

2 hours ago, Addona said:

Crepeau should be fine, but does it ever leave us razor thin … heaven forbid Crepeau pulls a hammy, and all of a sudden, we’ve got 3 massive WCQs with who, Pantemis in goal???

And he still has two big whitecaps games to go before the break.