Milan Borjan

Vince193

Sucks if Borjan is done with Red Star. Seemed like he had a good thing going there, but given this bust-up, yeah, I think it's time to move on!

I'm a little surprised thought that MLS would be his preferred escape route. He's played a lot of European cup matches, won a lot of domestic titles in a decent league, not to mention his work with the nats... MLS doesn't tend to pay keepers top dollar and I would think he can probably earn a better paycheck elsewhere in Europe. That being said the world is becoming a more unstable place and especially if his current club is "behind on paying the players" as suggested earlier in this thread, then maybe being a little closer to home and in a league where such things never happen has it's appeal too.

Edited by A_Gagne

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

I haven't paid attention to the Chicago Fire for a while. Are they still contenders for winning a World Cup? If so, that would be a great move for Borjan.

Probably. I was thinking more about their propensity for signing Eastern European players. Katai played for them and Paunovic, another Serb, coached them recently.

Serbian news outlets reporting that Crvena zvezda will not allow Borjan to leave for as long as the club is in the running for the title this season (right now they are 5 points behind Partizan heading into the winter break). We'll see what happens. Surely there is no way forward if both Stankovic and Borjan remain there for the second half of the season.

The rumour is that Sampdoria are looking to sign Stankovic so maybe he leaves first and that solves the issue? 

The other issue is that Crvena zvezda is struggling financially and apparently owes loads of money in unpaid wages to former and current players. That was a normal thing a few years ago and the club was often involved in litigation, but people assumed that 5 straight seasons playing in Europe (two of which in the Champions League) would solve much of their financial woes. Apparently not, as the individuals in management have been filling their pockets like there is no tomorrow and the club still heavily indebted. I think the official figure is around €65 million but could easily be double that in reality. It was lower before the club started having success in Europe. 

Borjan's wife commented on an Instagram post from another Crvena zvezda player just a couple of days ago and said something like "And maybe you will get paid", suggesting perhaps that the club may owe Milan unpaid wages. How much, nobody really knows. 

Personally I don't believe Milan is actually looking to play somewhere where there is less pressure. He has achieved God-like status in Serbia and thrives under pressure. I also don't believe that he would have a "better life" in Hamilton than what he has now in Belgrade. He is making a ton of money by Serbian standards even if the club owes him money. €500,000 in Belgrade is probably the equivalent of $2 million in Hamilton. 

However I won't be surprised if he ends up in the MLS. 

If he isn't getting paid according to the terms of his contract it should be possible for him to walk away from it. If Red Star want to keep him for the title race they need to pay up basically, which is probably the main point of the exercise for Borjan at this point. MLS might make sense in terms of what he sees himself doing after his playing career is over. That and the money that goes with it won't last forever, so wouldn't be surprised if a move to MLS happens eventually.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

And the article specifically mentions the USA as the destination. Sorry,  TFC fans.

Not exactly. In Serbia as well as the other former Yugoslav republics, when they say America or USA alot of the time they refer North America. So who knows. Again, I would not be surprised if this is just made up BS. 

A move to MLS would be risky for him IMO in terms of his position as Canada's #1. He would be a lot more visible and would need to outplay Crepeau in the league to remain as clear cut #1 for Canada headed into 2022. 

Let's face it. Crepeau has been a stud in MLS and really solid for Canada too. It's been easy to point to Borjan as a starting UCL/Europa League keeper - but if that's gone and he's not shining in MLS questions may be asked. 

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If he isn't getting paid according to the terms of his contract it should be possible for him to walk away from it. If Red Star want to keep him for the title race they need to pay up basically, which is probably the main point of the exercise for Borjan at this point. MLS might make sense in terms of what he sees himself doing after his playing career is over. That and the money that goes with it won't last forever, so wouldn't be surprised if a move to MLS happens eventually.

I think you don't understand what "contract" means in many countries of the world. Serbia is one, Greece, Turkey, Kazakhstan. Spain until maybe 20 years ago. Maybe, say 80-100 FIFA nations. 

In any case, you have to appreciate that part of salary and benefits are not in the contract, they're verbal. You sign for a lower salary and have the president's word for the rest. You're paying less taxes, getting perks, and even though you may be seeing a  contractual breach you're not in a pinch. Sometimes you see the president at a reception and you gently remind him it's time for that 2nd installment of 20,000,and he tells you to be patient. So you wait. But he never goes back on his word. 

Are we talking about money laundering? Of course. It benefits everyone all around (except the "common good"). 

I read the players are owed 5 million€ all around. That's a fair bit. So Borjan referred to this in his rebuttal of the coach. No one mentions what they are getting paid, or will get, under the table. 

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...But he never goes back on his word...

Think you are being naive on that part:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/soccer/professional-soccer-players-urged-against-signing-for-serbian-clubs

By the sounds of things Red Star are at risk of going bankrupt and at that point all bets are off. They are probably too big to fail but it's a different story with smaller clubs. Beyond that I could tell you a few stories about clubs in Scotland that are alleged to have been run on the proceeds of crime and how plenty of under the table payments used to happen in Canada at clubs that on paper were amateur but in reality were semi-pro before we get into stuff like Italo Ferrari and the Hamilton Thunder. You don't need to go to somewhere like Serbia to find clubs that are run in legally questionable ways.

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think you are being naive on that part:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/soccer/professional-soccer-players-urged-against-signing-for-serbian-clubs

By the sounds of things Red Star are at risk of going bankrupt and at that point all bets are off. They are probably too big to fail but it's a different story with smaller clubs. Beyond that I could tell you a few stories about clubs in Scotland that are alleged to have been run on the proceeds of crime and how plenty of under the table payments used to happen in Canada at clubs that on paper were amateur but in reality were semi-pro before we get into stuff like Italo Ferrari and the Hamilton Thunder. You don't need to go to somewhere like Serbia to find clubs that are run in legally questionable ways.

I'd take the word of any Serbian club president over any article from Fox Sports ;)

Anyways you just did a random search and posted an article from 7 years ago. Which talked-about contract breach, when I explained why and how such breach is mitigated. Since then, you may have noticed, teams actually have full rosters and players sleep signing. The system "works". The word has been proven good. Only the Serbian tax department and a future entry into the EU might change that. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

A move to MLS would be risky for him IMO in terms of his position as Canada's #1. He would be a lot more visible and would need to outplay Crepeau in the league to remain as clear cut #1 for Canada headed into 2022. 

Let's face it. Crepeau has been a stud in MLS and really solid for Canada too. It's been easy to point to Borjan as a starting UCL/Europa League keeper - but if that's gone and he's not shining in MLS questions may be asked. 

I'm not sure about that. I think it's clear Borjan is the guy for 2022, barring injury or him having a massive drop in form. You could argue at least 3 of our 16 points are directly a result of his play. Specifically, the saves in the second half vs Honduras and in the 90th vs Mexico. 

Crepeau hasn't done anything wrong, per se, but for the foreseeable future he'll have to keep fake warming up at the 30 min mark. 

51 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'd take the word of any Serbian club president over any article from Fox Sports ;)

Anyways you just did a random search and posted an article from 7 years ago. Which talked-about contract breach, when I explained why and how such breach is mitigated. Since then, you may have noticed, teams actually have full rosters and players sleep signing. The system "works". The word has been proven good. Only the Serbian tax department and a future entry into the EU might change that.

...quicker than you can say grow op in Barrie:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/more-charges-expected-in-barrie-grow-op-case/article992322/

I wasn't actually arguing with you on the notion that professional soccer can involve questionable practices only with the idea that you need to go to somewhere like Serbia to find stuff like that happening. Think the fact that Milan Borjan is complaining about not being paid says all that needs to be said about whether that approach always works smoothly for the players involved.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...quicker than you can say grow op in Barrie:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/more-charges-expected-in-barrie-grow-op-case/article992322/

I wasn't actually arguing with you on the notion that professional soccer can involve questionable practices only with the idea that you need to go to somewhere like Serbia to find stuff like that happening. Think the fact that Milan Borjan is complaining about not being paid says all that needs to be said about whether that approach always works smoothly for the players involved.

I am sure it happens elsewhere. It was common in Spain, and moreso in some clubs, up to maybe early 2000s. Now that you virtually can't move cash in the EU, things have slowed in that regard (now the problem to address are these tax havens inside the EU and unfair competition based on fiscal dumping and the like). 

We naively thought in Canada such things don't happen here, and surely our tax fraud is not at the level of some countries. I seriously doubt our sports contracts, for example, are much affected by such things, though some aspects of payment in kind in the CPL, combined with their opacity, combined with the ways of that guy in charge, make me wonder. 

I know about Serbia because I've been told by players how it worked about 15 years ago. Same with Greece, straight from players. Spain I know from following things closely, and talking to lower league players.. But get this: there used to be guys who were paid to play in certain countries like those we are speaking of, guys who played pro, and then went to college soccer and were eligible as amateurs. As their pro status had never been registered in the form of a contract, they were still amateurs because of where they'd played and how they'd been paid.

PS: from the press reports I've read in translation, I think Milan spoke up to defend the group more than himself as not having received payment. As a way to counter the arguments of the coach, to remind him that committment had to go both ways. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist