Jay Chapman

Dub Narcotic

8 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I was just having a similar thought, it’s great that our depth has gotten to the point where some MLS level players are barely on the radar. It’s crazy that guys like ZBG aren’t even making the 23

Doubly so seeing that RB was such a thin spot for us only a few years ago, remember Petrasso/Godinho were the best we could trot out??.  It seems like we are getting a couple new key pieces emerging out of MLS every year.  Lareya, Ayo, K. Miller, Johnston, Buchanon, all forced themselves into the MNT in the last few years.  ZBG keeps improving, Waterman is settling down at this level, Fraser and Chapman both might hit caerr highs for minutes.  St Clair and Pantemis are waiting in the wings.  No more free caps!! You damn near have to be a MLS starter now to make a canada squad and there is a line forming behind you if you slip up.  

34 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Doubly so seeing that RB was such a thin spot for us only a few years ago, remember Petrasso/Godinho were the best we could trot out??.  It seems like we are getting a couple new key pieces emerging out of MLS every year.  Lareya, Ayo, K. Miller, Johnston, Buchanon, all forced themselves into the MNT in the last few years.  ZBG keeps improving, Waterman is settling down at this level, Fraser and Chapman both might hit caerr highs for minutes.  St Clair and Pantemis are waiting in the wings.  No more free caps!! You damn near have to be a MLS starter now to make a canada squad and there is a line forming behind you if you slip up.  

When you look at the age and caps of these players, there's a nice stratification:

Laryea - 26 yo w/ 18 caps

Miller - 24 yo w/ 14 caps

Johnson - 23 yo w/ 13 caps

Buchanan - 22 yo w/ 12 caps

Fraser - 23 yo w/ 9 caps

ZBG - 22 yo/ w 5 caps

Chapman - 27 yo w/ 3 caps

Akinola - 21 yo w/ 2 caps

St. Clair - 24 yo w/ 1 cap

Pantemis - 24 yo  0 caps

Waterman - 25 yo w/ 0 caps

Obviously it doesn't follow a perfect pattern, but I like how the older guys (in general) have more caps than the younger guys. It's a healthy sign and a good indicator we shouldn't suffer too much as generations get phased out in the future. 

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Oh I do recall. It was right around the time this guy was arguing for us to play with a back three to compensate for the fact that we had no proper RB's, but plenty of RW's in the program. And look at us now!!! Plenty of RB, but we are using Wingbacks anyway! Lol.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I am not an MLS fanboy, but that really is a compliment to the evolving strength of MLS.  These aren’t guys we are reluctantly putting into then squad.  They are guys who have been doing a great job for the national team.  The ones who have been getting minutes lately - Laryea, Johnston, Buchanan, Oso, Kaye - they have all been performing well and cannot be considered weak spots on the team.  

On 9/16/2021 at 2:24 PM, Bison44 said:

I'm really happy for this, too.  The program also has the luxury of seeing an emerging player develop a significant body of club work instead of a couple of good games and then the clamour for that player to get a call up.  The call ups based on potential (in some cases, players getting a first cap without having played a senior pro minute) should be over.

Rusty Teibert is his MLS club's captain but at this point of his career he is, to use a Bob McCown phrase, "just another guy."

Edited by BearcatSA

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, RS said:

Miami likely would have kept him if they didn't try to cheat the salary cap and incur a big penalty. Neville seemed to like him.

His minutes and appearances to decline quite a bit when the team went on a hot streak after a horrid first half of the season, and then he bounced back with playing in the final stretch.  Maybe he gets another look elsewhere in this league.  He always showed samplers of very good attacking play but I guess not enough to keep him on the Miami books.

• 1 month later...

Dundee set to move for Canadian international Jay Chapman
George Cran thecourier.co.uk January 6 2022

Dundee are chasing the signature of Canadian international Jay Chapman.

The 28-year-old midfielder is a free agent after leaving Inter Miami in November.

It’s understood Chapman is looking for a move to the UK and the Dark Blues are keen to bring him to Dens Park this month.

The attacking midfielder played 25 times last season for Phil Neville’s Miami side, the American club owned by David Beckham.

That was alongside the likes of former Real Madrid and Argentina star Gonzalo Higuain, ex-PSG and France man Blaise Matuidi, former Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs and ex-Celtic and St Mirren attacker Lewis Morgan.

Chapman has played three times for Canada, scoring on debut against Bermuda.

His last cap came in 2020 in a friendly win over Barbados with Chapman laying on two goals in a 4-1 victory.

After being signed for $100,000 from Toronto FC in 2019, the midfielder went on to play 33 times for Inter Miami before being released in November.

Chapman’s father is English meaning any visa issues are avoided should Dundee get a deal done.

On 1/10/2022 at 12:45 PM, Ruffian said:

I don't understand how the Scottish Premier League doesn't have a streaming deal in Canada.

It pains me to say this but Rangers and Celtic control the value in the tv rights and I think their individual PPV service brings them in a good deal of incremental revenue so they aren’t too fussed if they get no tv coverage.  Just my two cents.

As for Jay Chapman, I’m with @gator.  Really happy for him but…