Jay Chapman

Dub Narcotic

Good article about his move to Scotland and how due to the pandemic, the coach couldn’t watch him live so turned to Steven Caldwell, Ryan Shawcross and Darren Odea for advice. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/2913576/story-behind-dundeefc-signing-jay-chapman-darren-odea-mls-bring/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had one run-out of 33', then sat on the bench for a few games, and now hasn't made the 18 for the last two. Can't see any indication he's injured. Could this be another cautionary tale for North Americans thinking of moving to a UK league under a UK manager? Our players seem to do a lot better elsewhere.

• 4 months later...
55 minutes ago, narduch said:

Makes sense. Hasn't been in the line up at all

When a guy struggles to get minutes in now the third team he has been with you start to wonder if these levels he has played at is too high for him. Kind of reminds of Kyle Becker who after having a tough time getting playing time in the MLS found his level in the CPL, I think Chapman makes a very good player in the CPL like Bekker.

Edited by SoccMan

4 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

When a guy struggles to get minutes in now the third team he has been with you start to wonder if these levels he has played at is too high for him. Kind of reminds of Kyle Becker who after having a tough time getting playing time in the MLS found his level in the CPL, I think Chapman makes a very good player in the CPL like Bekker.

He was getting decent minutes at Miami last year.

He probably should have stayed there or found another MLS gig.

I would bring up his potential of being an international in MLS but I don't want to be accused of being a ultra nationalist again

Bison44 is another one who is now back on ignore after I had just taken him off it although that no doubt won't stop him from trying to impose an Overton window on my posts even though it's actually his views that are way out of tune with how the mainstream of Canada's soccer community views these sorts of issues.

The truly weird thing about the last couple of pages on the Tyler Pasher thread is how these guys thought a talent as marginal as Tyler Pasher in MLS terms had hung in there this long as an International player on American teams given all the fuss they make over that rule. He is an obvious candidate for having scored a green card somewhere along the way to be able to do that.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Probably didn’t help that there was a new manager by the second week of Feb, and probably didn’t help that McGhee was the guy who came in. Unfortunately in Scotland you become expendable if you don’t fit the system of the manager.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Bison44 is another one who is now back on ignore after I had just taken him off it although that no doubt won't stop him from trying to impose an Overton window on my posts even though it's actually his views that are way out of tune with how the mainstream of Canada's soccer community views these sorts of issues.

The truly weird thing about the last couple of pages on the Tyler Pasher thread is how these guys thought a talent as marginal as Tyler Pasher in MLS terms had hung in there this long as an International player on American teams given all the fuss they make over that rule. He is an obvious candidate for having scored a green card somewhere along the way to be able to do that.

You're such a whiny bitch. You complain about everyone else when they don't share your distorted views because you have such an obvious hard-on for everything USSF related(on a Canadian soccer forum I might add). And yet you post such drivel on here with such condescension towards most of us and are somehow surprised and upset when we don't treat you as the second coming of Sir Alex Ferguson. Not a soul on this forum gives a fuck if you've put them on ignore but why don't you do us (and yourself) a favor and put yourself on ignore. We would all be happier I believe and you could stop pretending to be a Canadian soccer fan. I DARE YOU.

Btw...been to a CPL game yet?

I didn't think so but I'm sure the London Lasers will be revived any day now so there's a chance I guess.

23 hours ago, narduch said:

He was getting decent minutes at Miami last year.

He probably should have stayed there or found another MLS gig.

I would bring up his potential of being an international in MLS but I don't want to be accused of being a ultra nationalist again

Again he just might not be good enough for these levels to get consistent minutes. Not every player that is Canadian is going to work out at these levels unfortunately. Hey don’t get me wrong I hope he can prove me wrong and become a starter in the MLS or any league or even a higher level league and be a starter in Qatar . I’m just going by his playing history at these levels . Moreover, Jay if you read these boards prove this old fart wrong and keep going all power to you.

Edited by SoccMan

12 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Again he just might not be good enough for these levels to get consistent minutes. Not every player that is Canadian is going to work out at these levels unfortunately. Hey don’t get me wrong I hope he can prove me wrong and become a starter in the MLS or any league or even a higher level league and be a starter in Qatar . I’m just going by his playing history at these levels . Moreover, Jay if you read these boards prove this old fart wrong and keep going all power to you.

I think you are totally ignoring last season with Miami to suit your narrative. 

The guy is probably good enough to be an MLS veterNlan/journeyman 

20 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think you are totally ignoring last season with Miami to suit your narrative. 

The guy is probably good enough to be an MLS veterNlan/journeyman 

Did Miami want to keep him but he chose another avenue?

I also see him as journeyman type for MLS level but after a certain point in time even American guys of Chapman's age get eclipsed by younger prospects.   Dillon Powers, who was hyped as a bright young thing in MLS, after getting released by Orlando (at the same age as Chapman) went to Scotland and Northern Ireland before settling in USL.

Edited by BearcatSA

Mabye it is the case of a player not being a fit. Sometimes it isn't about talent. There could be tactical or even personal factors to explain why he hasn't played more in Scotland. I agree that on talent alone he should have been at least an occassional starter. He's also never played outside of North America. Who knows how he took to the relocation and/or cultural differences on and/or off the pitch. If this were a video game he would just slot in and be a contributor, but real life is unfortunately not that simple.