Jay Chapman

Dub Narcotic

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Resurrecting a bit of a dead thread but he's starting against Nashville and has been lively so far almost had a goal and an assist good to see him still be an MLS level player.

Glad to hear that. 

I watched the Philly/Miami game I believe last week or two weeks ago and I didn't notice him at all and thought he was falling back to his old ways of largely being a passenger. If he starts putting in some consistent performances, a Gold Cup call up may happen. 

I am of the opinion that the Gold Cup squad should be experimental, largely MLSers in good form and new guys in Europe (Mitrovic, Elva, etc.).  

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, TOcanadafan said:

Another decent prospect Vanney killed at TFC. Also good to see he is getting another chance.

Not really he had his chances never really impressed like Osorio did and Laryea did when they were given their chances . All power to him if he does well in Miami more depth for our national team if he does well at Miami , but in my opinion didn’t do much at TFC when given the chance .

Edited by SoccMan

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

With his increase in minutes, I wonder if he sneaks into the Gold Cup squad if he keeps this up..

He was a guy I tabbed to be included based on the possible absence of regulars and the chance to get himself in the shop window, so to speak, but if he is establishing himself in a role with his club and sees a tourney absence as an opportunity for his club competitors to impress and threaten his spot, he might decide to stick around Miami, who knows.  

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Chapman looking good against TFC. Fizzed a 30 yard line-splitter behind them that caused Lawrence to take a red card. Looking like another player they were dumb to get rid of.

Good to see him getting into some games again after spending a fair bit of time riding the pine. Also helps him that they won both those games. At 27 he is well past prospect age. But it has to be cool to work with Phil Neville, who had a rather distinguished playing career, just the same.

Never saw the game, but he looked good in the highlights. 

He's played in 14 games so far this season, which is the same number of games Fraser has got into.

Different type of players, but it makes me wonder where Chapman sits in the hierarchy.

He's not young anymore (4 years older than Fraser), but he is the same age as Pasher who got a look this summer. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Never saw the game, but he looked good in the highlights. 

He's played in 14 games so far this season, which is the same number of games Fraser has got into.

Different type of players, but it makes me wonder where Chapman sits in the hierarchy.

He's not young anymore (4 years older than Fraser), but he is the same age as Pasher who got a look this summer. 

it was great to hear that he had a strong match in sticking it to his old team but apart from this start, he really hasn't featured during Miami's winning streak, has he?  I just saw unused sub or garbage time sub in the last five or so matches prior to this one.  For the role he plays (box to box or attacking mid type), I think he needs to be a regular key contributor for his team to get back on the radar for us.  And even though Pasher has had a good club season, his absence from the WCQ squad despite a couple of roster spots being available may (emphasis on "may," before someone here flies off the handle) indicate that the coaching staff have had enough of a look and might want to go in a different direction.

With Fraser, I think the coaching staff like his particular role and skillset but for me, his is a position that could be challenged by other young, emerging talent and still might happen.

Edited by BearcatSA

Thought he was decent, didn't run the game or anything but did ok, obviously the pass that led to the red card was very good. Miami was actually really bad in this one, they were lucky to escape with any points at all.

I thought Chapman would be a better player and have more caps by this age (crazy to think he's already 27). I always viewed him as an athletic attacking mid, Vanney even used him as a winger at times, but it seems he may be playing deeper under Neville?

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

I see it as a good sign for our program that a 27 year old midfielder, with 150 games under his belt with multiple MLS clubs, is sitting on just 3 caps.

In any other era Chapman has won +20 caps for the national team at this point. 

I was just having a similar thought, it’s great that our depth has gotten to the point where some MLS level players are barely on the radar. It’s crazy that guys like ZBG aren’t even making the 23.