Jay Chapman

Dub Narcotic

One way Chapman can move up the midfield depth chart here is if the club needs to move one of their other mids with high trade value  to another MLS team should they need to acquire bona fide defensive holding mid cover for Bradley in return.  With Cheyrou now wearing a coach's tracksuit at Downsview, the club doesn't have a fall back plan there.

• 1 month later...

Just played in the CONCACAF champions league final 2nd leg.

How many predicted that at the beginning of the season?

Wonder how many people still believe Chapman should have left TFC this offseason?

Massive experience on a big stage and was not out of place.

Playing at such a high level will give him the confidence, I think, to go on and have a solid 2018 MLS season for TFC.

And that will surely keep him on John Herdman's radar, one would think...

Edited by Obinna

He had a very poor play last night when Toronto were moving out of their own box. The pass was made well to him and he was very slow to move and the ball got taken away from him. He then ran and fouled a player to get it back in a very dangerous free kick position. The ref let the play carry on and it ended with a weak shot. This could have been much worse.

He looked good going forward on a break with a nice outlet pass to Giovinco. I think he still has a chance to play the role Osorio had for a couple of years of being the 4th or 5th guy in the midfield playing of the bench, but there does seem to be a lot of competition there now.

Other than the one time he got dispossesed, he was excellent last night defensively, - especially on the one-on-one coverage - and twice nearly helped to create what could (or in the case of the Delgado chance, should) have been the CCL winning goal. Overall very impressive once again.

Herdman should have a big smile on his face with all of the development TFC has been doing for Canadian players this year.

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, honestseveran said:

He hasn't progressed well since 2016 and he's going to be 25 next year. 

Progressed well enough to play in the CCL final, didn't he? 

Sure, you can say he'd never see the field in that game if Toronto never had so many injuries, but it's a moot point. Injuries happen in football. It is part of the game. That is the reason why you dress 18 players. Chances always come.

We overlook the value of high level squad players. We need players who regularly come off the bench for strong club teams and Toronto is a strong club team. 

Not every young player in our pool needs to be a star at their club or even a starter for us to be successful.

I would much rather Chapman develop at TFC as a more or less career substitue (so long as they continue to win everything), than for him to move to Minnesota or some other perpetually struggling club, where he plays more but wins nothing and misses out on chances to play in big matches on big occassions. 

Edited by Obinna

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I’m going to have to be that guy and call me a troll I don’t care. However, apart from the one goal , Chapman and Hamilton too have been given a chance to prove they belong at this level, however, what they have proved is that unfortunately they are still not ready to play on a good MLS team just yet. Maybe on a bottom league team in the MLS but not a top standing team,  they are showing they can start on a TFC team that is a bottom team in the MLS so far this season but unfortunately if TFC are going to make a run in the standings it does not include Chapman and Hamilton unfortunately as starters or even major minute time but players unfortunately.

Edited by 1996

2 hours ago, 1996 said:

Sorry but I’m going to have to be that guy and call me a troll I don’t care. However, apart from the one goal , Chapman and Hamilton too have been given a chance to prove they belong at this level, however, what they have proved is that unfortunately they are still not ready to play on a good MLS team just yet. Maybe on a bottom league team in the MLS but not a top standing team,  they are showing they can start on a TFC team that is a bottom team in the MLS so far this season but unfortunately if TFC are going to make a run in the standings it does not include Chapman and Hamilton unfortunately as starters or even major minute time but players unfortunately.

I think Hamilton is closer to being ready than Chapman. I think.

11 hours ago, 1996 said:

I tend to agree with this. However, the optimist in me wants to believe we'd see a better Hamilton and Chapman if the team was more confident. Right now, the team looks anything but confident. How much does the lack of confidence in the team affect these individual performances from Hamilton and Chapman?

I like a number of things Chapman does.  He's shown good running off the ball to get open for passes and his well timed and executed diagonal run combined with Delgado's superb incisive pass led to TFC's first goal vs NE.  He has a burst and some moves with dribbling.  He still has to work on improving his strength on the ball in keeping possession.  His bad miss at that crucial juncture of the NE match when momentum was moving into TFC's favour was tough:  you've at least got to get that on net from there.

11 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

IHe still has to His bad miss at that crucial juncture of the NE match when momentum was moving into TFC's favour was tough:  you've at least got to get that on net from there.

I have this very same sentiment about 50% of Ricketts shots.

So for Chapman, I’m okay with saying he’s still finding his feet/nerves.

I doubly cringe every time I see one of the Canadians miss an easy chance because I just imagine that being our one chance in a match and us missing as usual.  

I don’t see Chapman as a CMNT level player yet but then again we somehow seem to play just 3 matches a year and still have B squads so maybe he is. 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

I doubly cringe every time I see one of the Canadians miss an easy chance because I just imagine that being our one chance in a match and us missing as usual.  

I don’t see Chapman as a CMNT level player yet but then again we somehow seem to play just 3 matches a year and still have B squads so maybe he is. 

Damn, ain't this the truth. 

• 4 months later...

Is Jonathan Osorio's steller season overshadowing Jay Chapman's career year?

Jay Chapman is quitely putting together a very respectable, if not impressive, season in MLS. 

To date, he has 22 appearances in all competitions, scoring 3 goals, both career highs. This includes starting in both the Champions League final second leg and last night's inaugural Campeons Cup, where he was one of TFC's best players.

There has been an observable improvement and trust in Chapman this season, yet there is little to no buzz around it.

I find this quite interesting, as this would have been a big talking point in past years. 

Does Chapman, who's quietly putting together a good season, deserve more attention for his exploits?

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Is Jonathan Osorio's steller season overshadowing Jay Chapman's career year?

Jay Chapman is quitely putting together a very respectable, if not impressive, season in MLS. 

To date, he has 22 appearances in all competitions, scoring 3 goals, both career highs. This includes starting in both the Champions League final second leg and last night's inaugural Campeons Cup, where he was one of TFC's best players.

There has been an observable improvement and trust in Chapman this season, yet there is little to no buzz around it.

I find this quite interesting, as this would have been a big talking point in past years. 

Does Chapman, who's quietly putting together a good season, deserve more attention for his exploits?

Yeah, I think Osorio is definitely overshadowing Chapman. Chapman has improved a lot and is a solid player now in my opinion. Still not CMNT matchday best 18 though I don't think, but a decent option to have available in your back pocket if needed.

59 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Didnt start in the Champions League final second leg

Thanks for the correction. My mistake. He was a substitute.

That doesn't detract from my point though. He played in the match.

How many Canadians have played in a champions league final?

Good on him for winning minutes this year. Has he earned them or are they largely a function of injuries...or both? 

At 24 he has a long way to go to be a true impact MLS starter, and even further to be a meaningful contributor at the national team leveI. personally don’t rate him, yet hope to be proven wrong.