Jay Chapman

Dub Narcotic

Both Henry and Morgan signed second, more lucrative, contracts, and have received more than enough chances to prove themselves. Bekker and Osorio have also received more than a fair shake, with Osorio sure to sign a relatively rich extension. It's gone better for the players than the team, bluntly.

Both Henry and Morgan signed second, more lucrative, contracts, and have received more than enough chances to prove themselves. Bekker and Osorio have also received more than a fair shake, with Osorio sure to sign a relatively rich extension. It's gone better for the players than the team, bluntly.

I think TFC has been the club team to give the most minutes to Canadians in all club football history. I would actually like to see a comparison of Canadian minutes played of other teams with a lot of minutes given to Canadians in their history.

I think TFC has been the club team to give the most minutes to Canadians in all club football history. I would actually like to see a comparison of Canadian minutes played of other teams with a lot of minutes given to Canadians in their history.

Here's a link to a site that does exactly that (although only for the Canadian-based MLS and NASL teams).  The "details" link on the right takes you to his spreadsheet.

http://oot-football.blogspot.ca/2013/12/canadian-content-on-canadian-teams-in.html

Here's a link to a site that does exactly that (although only for the Canadian-based MLS and NASL teams).  The "details" link on the right takes you to his spreadsheet.

http://oot-football.blogspot.ca/2013/12/canadian-content-on-canadian-teams-in.html

Great stats! If I am reading that right I think those stats are for 1 season only. Ottawa has a lot of Canadian content but they have been around for one year so I do not think they have more minutes total. If they continue with those kinds of numbers they might become the leader in Canadian minutes.

Great stats! If I am reading that right I think those stats are for 1 season only. Ottawa has a lot of Canadian content but they have been around for one year so I do not think they have more minutes total. If they continue with those kinds of numbers they might become the leader in Canadian minutes.

At the bottom of the blog post there are links to five previous year reports, so you can at least get summary data for those years.  Unfortunately the sidebar doesn't change, but I'm sure the author has the spreadsheets for the previous years saved elsewhere.  You could email to ask.  It would be relatively simple to combine them to create a longitudinal tracker.

It's actually disappointing to see that pretty much across the board our Canadian teams are using less Canadian talent than previous years.  I hate to harp on Vancouver but they played Canadian players more than any other team just a few years ago and now it's basically just Tiebert with occasional subs by other players.

In MLS Toronto has traditionally played a very high amount of Canadian players but it's come down to earth; this year's difference is mostly due to Ashtone Morgan not getting any playing time.

It's nice to see Ottawa and Edmonton at least maintain respectable levels of Canadian PT.  In NASL and USL Canadian teams have usually featured higher levels of domestic playing time.

I'm the author of the spreadsheets referenced above. While there are some likely errors, as I add in the game data manually, and occasional players that I listed as Canadian that might not qualify, or vice-versa, I think the data paint an instructive broad picture of the level of Canadian participation in North American pro soccer.

You can find links to yearly summaries for 2008-2012 in the post linked above (and below), which is the summary for 2013. The individual spreadsheets can be accessed by following the links below:

2013 summary: http://oot-football.blogspot.ca/2013/12/canadian-content-on-canadian-teams-in.html

Spreadsheets

If I can manage to dig up the 2008 spreadsheet I'll also put that online.

In general, you'll find that while there are probably more jobs for Canadians in pro environments in Canada in 2014 than half a decade ago, fewer of these players are important enough to their teams that they are receiving first team minutes. Even in NASL this year, Ottawa and Edmonton are both hovering around 30%, while in the late days of USL/A-League/NASL Impact and Whitecaps teams, those rates were often above 45%.  I won't further derail this thread by speculating why that is the case.

Edited by jonovision

I have figures going back to 2004. Toronto FC's best season for Canadian content according to my numbers was 10,736 minutes in 2009. The Vancouver Whitecaps had two seasons giving over 20,000 minutes to Canadians (2004 and 2005) as did the Toronto Lynx (2005 and 2006). In this sample Vancouver had six seasons with more Canadian minutes than Toronto FC's best season, the Montreal Impact had five, the Toronto Lynx three, FC Edmonton two, the Edmonton Aviators and Calgary Mustangs one each.

But Toronto FC is indisputably, without a shadow of a doubt, to the extent that the Whitecaps and Impact should be utterly humiliated by the comparison, the most Canadian of our three MLS teams.

It's actually disappointing to see that pretty much across the board our Canadian teams are using less Canadian talent than previous years.  I hate to harp on Vancouver but they played Canadian players more than any other team just a few years ago and now it's basically just Tiebert with occasional subs by other players.

In MLS Toronto has traditionally played a very high amount of Canadian players but it's come down to earth; this year's difference is mostly due to Ashtone Morgan not getting any playing It's nice to see Ottawa and Edmonton at least maintain respectable levels of Canadian PT.  In NASL and USL Canadian teams have usually featured higher levels of domestic playing time.

And Teibert wouldn't even be playing if Koffie didn't get injured.

Osorio got a $100,000 per year raise at the start of this season.

Edited by Rudi

In MLS Toronto has traditionally played a very high amount of Canadian players but it's come down to earth; this year's difference is mostly due to Ashtone Morgan not getting any playing time.

It's nice to see Ottawa and Edmonton at least maintain respectable levels of Canadian PT.  In NASL and USL Canadian teams have usually featured higher levels of domestic playing time.

Actually all three times, particularly Montreal, saw a rise over last year.  Be careful...TFC went down a little, but don't compare NASL Montreal and Vancouver to MLS Montreal and Vancouver, because it is a higher level for the Canadian players, meaning we need to produce Canadians AT a higher level.  Now that we have more teams AT that high level, the pool needs to increase, and eventually will, for higher level talented players.  But now with 5 fully pro teams...most decent level pro Canadians aren't lacking a home...we're on the right path.

It doesn't matter where good players like Jay Chapman start, as long as they have a place to go when they are done.  I STILL think that the MLS needs to give Canadians equal opportunity on US based teams, but hey, that would mean those same US based players wouldn't be forced to consider getting dual citizenship/residency and have the opportunity to get poached by THEIR national team.  

Edited by madmonte

• 1 month later...

Lazlo 80 posted this link in the other "Chappers" thread:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/120214aaa.html

Been nominated to semi-final list for Mac Hermann award.

Also, appears to have a British passport through his dad and rumours he could go over there instead of MLS:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2858063/Jay-Chapman-monitored-Sunderland-Swansea-Aston-Villa-Celtic-Michigan-State-attacking-midfielder-nears-move.html

(link from reme90)

Edited by jpg75

• 3 weeks later...

Ives Galaracep starts a fire by saying that Chapman's TFC homegrown status is 'disputed'. Duane Rollins stokes the fire on twitter and reddit. Unclear if Chapman wants to play with TFC in any case due to being upset about being cut from the academy earlier. Given that he'll likely sign a GA deal if TFC's homegrown deal is denied, it may be in his best interest to have the homegrown deal denied.

How do you understand this?

(F) HOMEGROWN PLAYER SIGNINGS

A club may sign a player to his first professional contract without subjecting him to the MLS SuperDraft if the player has trained for at least one year in the club’s youth development program and has trained 80 days with the academy during that year. Players joining MLS through this mechanism are known as Homegrown Players.

Does that mean 80 days prior to the year of the draft? Or just the year they were in the academy they were there for at least 80 days?

It is weird that this is another year where SBI is publishing 'disputes' over a player's HG status. Harrison Shipp had a much more legitimate claim to being HG than Chapman (he played with the Fire's PDL sides and a U20 team each summer) to TFC, but there was still this:

Sources tell SBI that both teams plan on making homegrown player offers to Thompson and Shipp, but if MLS deems that their homegrown claims aren’t strong enough, then Shipp and Thompson could go into the 2014 MLS Draft, where they would be guaranteed to be top 10 picks.

• 2 weeks later...
Got this from RPB forum:  

Last RT: great reporting. TFC will try anything to get Chapman on board next year. Deal is almost done

One player who could sign a homegrown deal is Jay Chapman, an All-American midfielder at Michigan State this season as a junior. He had been dropped by Toronto FC’s academy during his senior season of high school but the league recently honored the club’s homegrown claim on Chapman.“We were a little surprised because they hadn’t had anything to do with him since he was dropped from the academy,” said Niki Budalic, Chapman’s agent. “But they’ve got his homegrown rights and we’re negotiating and Jay is excited about starting his career in his hometown if we can reach a deal.”

Edited by TFC07

Got this from RPB forum:  

Last RT: great reporting. TFC will try anything to get Chapman on board next year. Deal is almost done

One player who could sign a homegrown deal is Jay Chapman, an All-American midfielder at Michigan State this season as a junior. He had been dropped by Toronto FC’s academy during his senior season of high school but the league recently honored the club’s homegrown claim on Chapman.“We were a little surprised because they hadn’t had anything to do with him since he was dropped from the academy,” said Niki Budalic, Chapman’s agent. “But they’ve got his homegrown rights and we’re negotiating and Jay is excited about starting his career in his hometown if we can reach a deal.”

And here's the actual link: http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/mls-lowball-offers-could-undermine-super-draft

So, because MLS is having no luck signing top college prospects due to low ball offers, they approve the most dubious homegrown claim ever on Chapman (which doesn't even come close to meeting homegrown criteria) so they don't miss out on another top prospect?

MLS making it up as they go, same as always.

So, because MLS is having no luck signing top college prospects due to low ball offers, they approve the most dubious homegrown claim ever on Chapman (which doesn't even come close to meeting homegrown criteria) so they don't miss out on another top prospect?

MLS making it up as they go, same as always.

You (like everyone else) should know this by now.   

That's why I laugh at reading MLS rule book and don't take it seriously.