Jay Chapman

Dub Narcotic

4 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Nice, maybe he'll get some minutes. He was stuck behind a lot of players and I don't think TFC ever

3 hours ago, gator said:

Vanney wasn't going to play him again so it's great he got out, hopefully he gets a fair chance in Miami, he showed some great potential but that wasn't enough to get him minutes in TFC's world class midfield! I just home a year of hardly playing hasn't set him back, as Obinna mentions, CPL could be an option if things don't work out in Florida!

He was given enough chances at TFC and just never really impressed on a consistent basis. Osorio and Layrea took their  chances and made the most of them . Hopefully a change of scenery works out for him we shall see , hoping for the best for him. 

Edited by SoccMan

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Had no idea he was so old when I looked him up yesterday. Still think of him as 20/21. Even though he must have been around 22 when he was signed lol

I know right.  He’s only 1 year younger than Osorio.  It was time for him to move on to another team.  The numbers game in Toronto never worked for him because he wasn’t as good as Osorio or Bradley and never could take that 3rd midfield role.  

10 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Delgado is far better than Chapman. 

Delgado has been a more useful player for TFC than Chapman, so I think he's "better" from that perspective. However, Chapman has attacking qualities that Delgado doesn't have, which he can hopefully show with Inter Miami. Easier to show your stuff with an expansion team than a Toronto FC team where you always have a TAM or DP attacking midfielder to compete with. For me comparing Chapman and Delgado is kind of like apples and oranges.

We will see how Chapman develops if given a proper chance, he had some excellent games in Toronto but clearly wasn't Vanney's guy, Delgado has had some terrible matches and yet gets the start next match, I think Delgado has been given enough chances and developed into a semi reliable player, his main strength is a good engine, he covers lots of ground, to me Chapman is a better passer and reads the game well, as @Obinna mentions it's apples and oranges though! Good luck to Chapman, we won't have to have this debate anymore! Judging by what I've seen in this January camp Chapman looks up for a fight to win a spot in South Florida, that can only help our National Team depth!

Agree 100% with Gator.  While they are different players with respect to skill set,  Delgado was played ahead of Oso for quite some time and always ahead of Chapman regardless of how poorly he was playing.  Chapman was tremendous in the Seattle away start but that didn’t materialize into seeing the field.  Delgado could be the worst player on the pitch for match after match with no consequences. He is not the second coming of Kante, and he most likely won’t be playing for the USA again unless they have injuries or a B camp.

• 7 months later...
On 5/11/2017 at 5:09 PM, Big_M said:

He had one great game but Osorio is better than him and has done much more. Chapman needs to work on his defensive side to become a good CM/DM because he will never be a starting 10 in this league.

been playing well at dm..said it years ago..thats his place

7 minutes ago, Big_M said:

been playing well at dm..said it years ago..thats his place

I think naturally he is closer to a 10, but he is not good enough to thrive in that role at the MLS level. 

That said, he is more than capable of thriving as a deep lying playmaker/facilitator, precisely because of the vision and tendencies that make him a more natural 10. He was always more of a quasi 10 rather than a traditional 10 anyways. 

Players evolve in whatever role gets them on the field, so if Chapman's destiny is to play in a two-man double pivot for Miami, then so be it. I am sure he doesn't care where he plays so long as he keeps starting and contributing. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think naturally he is closer to a 10, but he is not good enough to thrive in that role at the MLS level. 

That said, he is more than capable of thriving as a deep lying playmaker/facilitator, precisely because of the vision and tendencies that make him a more natural 10. He was always more of a quasi 10 rather than a traditional 10 anyways. 

Players evolve in whatever role gets them on the field, so if Chapman's destiny is to play in a two-man double pivot for Miami, then so be it. I am sure he doesn't care where he plays so long as he keeps starting and contributing. 

I agree.  Not sure what his contract looks like but I'm not sure your'e gonna get much more out of him at the MLS level.  I think hes got the ability to be a top midfielder in the CPL though.

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

I agree.  Not sure what his contract looks like but I'm not sure your'e gonna get much more out of him at the MLS level.  I think hes got the ability to be a top midfielder in the CPL though.

I can see him sticking with Miami for a few more years and contributing to their success. Perhaps once he reaches his early 30's he'll go to Forge or York 9 as a "Bekker" like signing and finish his career in Southern Ontario...