Jay Chapman

Dub Narcotic

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Who knows for sure, but its a little weird.  He got more starts, mins etc with Miami last year than he was getting with TFC.

As an attacking midfielder, Chapman was behind Victor Vazquez, then Alejandro Pozuelo, in Toronto. Depending on the formation, he also had Osorio ahead of him.

Had he stayed in Miami he likely would've found himself behind Pozuelo again this year.

His defensive game never seemed to be a strong point so he doesn't seem to have the ability to make himself a more well-rounded midfielder in the Osorio mould, or at least not an MLS or equivalent level. Which is a shame because I think he has some characteristics of a very good player at that level, just not enough to stand out IMO.

Wierd as in, he moved on from MLS right when he was getting the most game time, kind of counterintuitive.  Some people would think thats a good sign that your finally making some headway, maybe you should stay.  But maybe he thought it was his best chance to head to europe after a decent MLS year.  Too bad it hasnt worked out, but he is an age now where playing a few years in CPL might look pretty inviting.  I think WPG has unused cap space, hint hint.  

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Wierd as in, he moved on from MLS right when he was getting the most game time, kind of counterintuitive.  Some people would think thats a good sign that your finally making some headway, maybe you should stay.  But maybe he thought it was his best chance to head to europe after a decent MLS year.  Too bad it hasnt worked out, but he is an age now where playing a few years in CPL might look pretty inviting.  I think WPG has unused cap space, hint hint.  

His move and Liam Fraser’s move were so baffling to me, both were starting to breakthrough finally in MLS. I think they got starry eyes for Europe and forgot about the politics in such a move. I guess Lareya can speak to that also.

• 2 months later...

There are relatively few reasonably well paid Kyle Becker and Marco Bustos type contracts available in CanPL for older Canadian players. Maybe he gets one of those maybe he doesn't. At 28 it might be time to turn the page and move on with the next chapter in life. Playing soccer professionally was never going to last forever anyway.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

4 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There are relatively few reasonably well paid Kyle Becker and Marco Bustos type contracts available in CanPL for older Canadian players. Maybe he gets one of those maybe he doesn't. At 28 it might be time to turn the page and move on with the next chapter in life. Playing soccer professionally was never going to last forever anyway.

Harsh reality. 

I also don’t think he’s a game changer or difference maker to warrant a Bustos, Bakker style contract.

Sadly I think he’ll try other leagues before going to the CPL…Let’s hope that by the time he gets there he isn’t completely washed.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:28 AM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Just saw that Chapman is no longer with Dundee FC, as of October 3rd.  Played 35 minutes in total.

Its been a while I think.  I remember checking several weeks (maybe even Months) ago and not seeing his name on the roster.  This is a small club that is often a good bet for relegation.  One cant possibly be earning more from playing at Dundee FC than in MLS and maybe not much more than the CPL.  From what I understand, they play in an older facility of around 10 or 11k seats and are planning to for a new 15k.  A small club in a small league in a small country.  Where else can you go from here?

Edited by Free kick

8 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

What's the highest paid player in the CPL? Maybe 80 90k? I think Chapman would be one of the better players in the league at a crucial position. So if it's in that area I'm not sure why a guy in his twenties wouldn't be interested in that

I've seen a number closer to 60k mentioned but there's no transparency on that. It's not so much that clubs wouldn't potentially be interested in the guy in talent terms it's more that there are relatively few contracts up for grabs at more than burger flipping money so there are tough decisions to be made on who to go for with that.

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I've seen a number closer to 60k mentioned but there's no transparency on that. It's not so much that clubs wouldn't potentially be interested in the guy in talent terms it's more that there are relatively few contracts up for grabs at more than burger flipping money so there are tough decisions to be made on who to go for with that.

Chapman would be a Bustos Bekker type signing 

24 minutes ago, Shway said:

Interesting. I don’t know what his best skillset is…Do you?

To me he’s  a great utility player

I think its a bit like Davies.. LB for Bayern forward in Concacaf. If I remember him I recall a box to box midfielder who liked to get forward and pass the ball around. So I'm not sure but I think a CPL team would just plug him in the midfield and build around him

Edited by SpursFlu

On 10/28/2022 at 4:03 PM, Shway said:

Interesting. I don’t know what his best skillset is…Do you?

To me he’s  a great utility player

He was the master of coming in as a sub for TFC in a game they were already winning and grabbing a goal. That's all I remember of him.

Edited by sebdeserio

• 2 months later...

Not sure what you are even trying to say at this point and why you think it is relevant. Philip Dos Santos made a comment about the USL Championship having fewer restrictions on salaries than CanPL in a recent interview on Onesoccer:

That comes into play when a player like Jay Chapman is involved who would probably be looking for one of the largest salaries CanPL has on offer. PDS also talked about fewer loans from MLS being likely in future due to the emergence of Next Pro, which is an issue for the Valour given the impact players like Pantemis, Sirois and Rea have had with them.