Jay Chapman

Dub Narcotic

Chapman has gotten some of Vanney's confidence and has made something of his chances.  I would guess he has nicked 3-4 starts from Delgado (who has had a forgetable season in my opinion) and Vasquez being hurt for long stretches helped as well.  I dont know if he'll ever make a leap forward like Osorio has done but at least he has progressed this year.  I would lump him with Hamilton, better than last year, maybe on a cusp of breakthrough, but not quite there. and might never get there.  And if we are to believe anon posters from ottawa, they'll both be too expensive for CPL.   

Chapman has definitely impressed the past two matches.. that dribble late on last night was nasty.

The problem is he needs to be more consistent but I like that he’s a threat in the air.. as our other mids aren’t at all. 

I was watching with a friend who doesn’t watch much TFC and he was asking why that Delgado guy plays so much.  Also.. how is he getting calls to the USMNT? 

Unlike Osorio and Chapman, Delgado is not a strong dribbler, which limits his effectiveness in the build up play.

He is very good at finding spaces on the field to support the team, and is good at quickly advancing the ball once he gets it, but can't wiggle out of situations, so he has to really be on his game. Like most of the team this year, he largely hasn't been.

So I think it's not so much that Delgado is in decline, I just think he's lost the concentration and confidence this year. He still is working with the same tools (as limiting as they may be). I expect his performances to turn around.

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Chapman should have received the majority of Delgado’s starts.  He needs the opportunity and Marky’s decline this year was significant.  

Chapman showed some signs last season he might be pushing for more minutes, he was a long way down the depth chart in a good midfield, he has deserved his playing time this season and has improved! I watched Chapman very closely last night and came away quite impressed, sure he got caught in  possession a couple of times but his passing was excellent for the most part and he was excellent at closing the Tigers players down, it would have been nice to see him score off the header from the corner kick, hopefully he continues his upward spiral! 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

Unlike Osorio and Chapman, Delgado is not a strong dribbler, which limits his effectiveness in the build up play.

He is very good at finding spaces on the field to support the team, and is good at quickly advancing the ball once he gets it, but can't wiggle out of situations, so he has to really be on his game. Like most of the team this year, he largely hasn't been.

So I think it's not so much that Delgado is in decline, I just think he's lost the concentration and confidence this year. He still is working with the same tools (as limiting as they may be). I expect his performances to turn around.

This is a really good summary, Obinna.  Delgado hasn't improved his shielding/body position skills and this year his attempts at quick passing featured more rushed giveaways, and that started in the CCL and has continued throughout the season.  However, because he's a relatively young player (youngest starter for TFC) he might be able to get it back on track again, though it may not be here.

As for the game, after a bright start for TFC the match started to settle and once Tigres got their lead I didn't get the feeling that TFC was going to craft enough quality chances to get back in it.  Chapman threaded that really nice pass through to Ricketts late in the game but based on what I was able to watch, apart from that opportunity I felt they missed an "on song" Vazqquez and the second half presence of Giovinco (who I believe still leads the team in assists) to provide that key cutting edge which was needed against this calibre of opponent.

Hopefully Chapman will get more starts down the stretch.  He showed some good stuff out there.

• 1 year later...

Vanney wasn't going to play him again so it's great he got out, hopefully he gets a fair chance in Miami, he showed some great potential but that wasn't enough to get him minutes in TFC's world class midfield! I just hope a year of hardly playing hasn't set him back, as Obinna mentions, CPL could be an option if things don't work out in Florida!

Edited by gator

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Interesting..him and norman jnr there together?

I'll bet that Norman gets loaned back to Pacific FC.  

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Since he was an academy player and signed his first pro contract with an MLS team that makes him domestic league wide. I think.

I was under that assumption, as well.  Wouldn't Teibert be in the same category?

I thought the new rule only applied going forward from 2017, so guys like Chapman, Teibert, Henry and Osorio would be out of luck - but it seems I may be wrong:

• The player must have been a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian approved youth club, in the year prior to the year in which he turned 16;

• And, the player has to sign his first professional contract with MLS, or an MLS club’s USL affiliate.

For the Whitecaps, this means that Russell Teibert, Alphonso Davies, Marco Bustos and Marco Carducci will all count as domestic players league-wide as of next season.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/some-canadian-players-granted-domestic-status-in-mls-generation-adidas-canada-created

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Interesting..him and norman jnr there together?

*also both count as domestics right? Should'nt hold them back, if they are good enough they should get chances.

Club is run by a Canadian. Niki Budalic. Ex Toronto Lynx and USL Impact

Edited by narduch