Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Osorio is 30 and has played his entire career with Toronto and he's always performed well for the national team. TFC has never hurt his play and he is what he is as a player, so moving to Europe won't positively transform him at this stage. Glad to see him get paid even though it would have been interesting to see how he'd do in Europe.

Agreed. Much better for him to stick with his hometown club, retire here a legend, and get paid in the process. He is only 30, and will still very much in the cards come 2026 (good thing about Oso is that his game doesn't really heavily on physical prowess, so as long as he is still sharp, he will still have something to offer the national team, even if he is no longer a starter)

23 minutes ago, Shway said:

TFC very likely!
Canada......doubt it.

I could see that being Staq or Davies. Maybe even Miller.

Recognizing that virtually everything can change in 4 years, part of me would prefer if it wasn’t Davies - or at least that he wasn’t considered as an automatic front runner. IMO your captain should not just be your best player by default - it should be someone with the necessary qualities and experience.  And given everything we have seen lately, if Davies still has any tendency to “hero ball”, him not being captain might be a gentle and non-confrontational way to send the message that he is not the centre of the team.  

Maybe he will be the best choice in 4 years.  Maybe not.  I just see no reason ti think he is a leading candidate because he happens to play at Bayern.   

Eustaquio strikes me as a prototypical lead by example type of captian. I agrre with nam that a captain need not be your best player, but when it's at least a core player there's a level of respect that goes with that.

Osorio has been part of the core long enough that I can see him being captain at some stage. Would also not be surprised if he wasn't.

Allistar Johnston would make a fine captain (if not Eustaquio). He's virtually undroppable and that should continue as he grows with Celtic next cycle. 

Osorio staying at home by resigning with TFC...I mean I get the loyalty part I can admire that and respect that which I do but if he were to secure a move to Europe then that would have been preferable. However, staying at TFC I mean he is at home and he doesn't really have to go anywhere so there is the allure.

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Recognizing that virtually everything can change in 4 years, part of me would prefer if it wasn’t Davies - or at least that he wasn’t considered as an automatic front runner. IMO your captain should not just be your best player by default - it should be someone with the necessary qualities and experience.  And given everything we have seen lately, if Davies still has any tendency to “hero ball”, him not being captain might be a gentle and non-confrontational way to send the message that he is not the centre of the team.  

Maybe he will be the best choice in 4 years.  Maybe not.  I just see no reason ti think he is a leading candidate because he happens to play at Bayern.   

If Herdman is in charge next cycle--likely--then he'll do what he did this past cycle and create a leadership group. Staq is already part of that group and, I feel, the heir apparent to Atiba.  Davies does not need the pressure of being captain. He needs to be free to be Davies, blazing down the wing(s).  I agree, Johnston has leadership qualities too.  And there will be others in the leadership group, but Staq is my first choice for captain.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like it was a rough go for Jonny O. Besides the concussion stuff, this article highlights where the mental maturity level of our guys (or at least Osorio) was at as they progressed through the group stage games. Thinking you're going to "win the world cup" after one game or "we're going to kill this team" when facing Croatia certainly does not imply that Herdman had them prepared for everything. Of course, this is one man's thoughts but if I guy of his experience and maturity is thinking this then I'm sure many others were too. And really, who could blame them? Anyways, lesson learned and on to the next and all that shite I suppose lol.

Edited by PegCityCam

37 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Sounds like it was a rough go for Jonny O. Besides the concussion stuff, this article highlights where the mental maturity level of our guys (or at least Osorio) was at as they progressed through the group stage games. Thinking you're going to "win the world cup" after one game or "we're going to kill this team" when facing Croatia certainly does not imply that Herdman had them prepared for everything. Of course, this is one man's thoughts but if I guy of his experience and maturity is thinking this then I'm sure many others were too. And really, who could blame them? Anyways, lesson learned and on to the next and all that shite I suppose lol.

Well, he certainly put on a good performance at the World Cup, despite any mental health issues he may have been going through during or in the lead up. Good for Osorio for being vulnerable and sharing, but also good for him for rising above and putting on a good show. He did Canada proud and almost scored against Croatia. In general, he was his usual tidy self at the World Cup level. Way to go, Oso!

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Well, he certainly put on a good performance at the World Cup, despite any mental health issues he may have been going through during or in the lead up. Good for Osorio for being vulnerable and sharing, but also good for him for rising above and putting on a good show. He did Canada proud and almost scored against Croatia. In general, he was his usual tidy self at the World Cup level. Way to go, Oso!

Fair play and I completely agree with you. No disrespect whatsoever. He's one of my faves and I too appreciate him being open and vulnerable.

I think Oso's reaction after the Belgium game was representative of the buzz on the whole team and the coaching staff post game. The lack of WC experience at the player/coaching level was a big factor in the way the team approached the following 2 games. The entire group became a bit delusional and were not able to really return to reality, focus and game plan for Croatia. It's interesting because while us fans and Cdn media  were also part of the buzz, many on here as well as the TSN panel wanted to see Canada go with 3 mids in the 2nd game. The experience from this WC should make the players/coaches better prepared going forward, but it also raises expectations as well.

Edited by Kadenge

4 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Besides the concussion stuff, this article highlights where the mental maturity level of our guys (or at least Osorio) was at as they progressed through the group stage games. Thinking you're going to "win the world cup" after one game or "we're going to kill this team" when facing Croatia certainly does not imply that Herdman had them prepared for everything.

I suggest you listen to the full Footy Prime podcast episode (where those quotes originated) before judging.

• 4 weeks later...