Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

I find it funny when an MLS player eligible for this country that is good at soccer should be captied ASAP. To quote Sean Keay, 178 pro minutes!

Footie is full of examples of unproven prospects who get snapped up, early, even fought over. e.g. Wilfred Zaha.

If Diego chara cannot get a look as a key player for a solid Portland timbers side, and when Freddy montero, who almost averages a goal every two games, has to leave MLS to get a chance at Colombia, I think we need not worry.

Nonetheless I expect him in the GC squad so that should alleviate any worries.

Doesn't seem like he is that interested in playing for Colombia either; thankfully in his case being a Canadian has facilitated his opportunities at becoming a professional and a Canadian club has given that opportunity. If not, maybe he could have pursued his Colombian heritage further to get that opportunity and then say "no thanks" to Canada. The MLS clubs can be very important to encouraging players to stay in the Canadian national program.

I have to say though, Colombia has no need to even try to poach the kid. They have a lot more depth now than any other point in the past 20 years and seem to have a very good spread of ages in the midfield, from young players to peaking to veterans. And the return of form to their national team has also led to an increase in European scouting in Colombia, you can see this because a lot of u20s are playing in European clubs (maybe not the best for the long term prospect of the national team...). A player in Europe who is actually Colombian is going to get more attention than a Canadian in Canada with a more distant Colombian connection.

Guys, I think Diaz Kambere is eligible for Ghana, CAP-TIE HIM NOW!

You know there is a fair bit of paranoia on here Ben,some of it justified, some of it over the top! Kurt Larson is reporting Osorio has in fact been called along with Morgan, Henry and Bekker from TFC!

Yeah, I suppose we're sort of in a "beggars can't be choosers" situation, but if those four are an indication of the team we'll be fielding Tuesday then Costa Rica B might kill us.

EDIT: lazlo, there's next to no possibility of Teibert being called; the Voyageurs Cup final is the next day. The Impact kids I suppose might, depending on if the Impact think they'll get any use out of them.

Maybe this should be under MLS.

But apparently... he is also eligible for Columbia. Hope the CSA doesn't let this one get away!!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/05/22/toronto-fc-rookie-jonathan-osorio-believes-he-deserves-canadian-national-tea

I think they're just alluding to the fact that his parents are from Colombia - hence why the author noted that he is eligible to play for Colombia. All indications though, sounds like he's playing for Canada, and looking for the opportunity to get called up for the Gold Cup - which would Cap-Tie him anyway.

I think they're just alluding to the fact that his parents are from Colombia - hence why the author noted that he is eligible to play for Colombia. All indications though, sounds like he's playing for Canada, and looking for the opportunity to get called up for the Gold Cup - which would Cap-Tie him anyway.

Osorio is very proud to be from Toronto and Canadian. I'd be shocked if he accepts a call up from any country other than Canada

EDIT: lazlo, there's next to no possibility of Teibert being called; the Voyageurs Cup final is the next day. The Impact kids I suppose might, depending on if the Impact think they'll get any use out of them.

Don't know where I saw it (although almost certainly on these forums or twitter) but apparently Miller said he wouldn't be selecting either Teibert or Bernier because of their V-Cup involvements. Wonder if the same also holds for Tissot and Ouimette, who for me are at least as deserving as Morgan and Henry.

Yeah, I suppose we're sort of in a "beggars can't be choosers" situation, but if those four are an indication of the team we'll be fielding Tuesday then Costa Rica B might kill us.

ah. That makes sense. man, we really need to re-stock the cupboards. Between not wanting a repeat of last WC cycle and the kids that are young and just on the cusp of moving up to the senior teams we're in a bit of a tough spot right now.

Henry has been playing pretty regularly in MLS - can understand the call.

Osorio has had some good showings in the time he has been given, he's usually first off the bench. With a pool as small as ours and with it being a home friendly we have to give him a look.

Morgan has been out of form without a doubt but he really is as blue chip as it gets in the Canada program moving forward, I can't think of any other left back options around his age (besides Tissot) so it looks like it will be him and De Jong for the next while as our two main options. Calling him is justifiable but he doesn't deserve to see the pitch.

Bekker is rated pretty highly by Miller. While he was harsh on some players in his last camp I remember he had praise for Bekker calling him "quality" IIRC. Probably shouldn't be there but as others said beggars can't be choosers.

Why not call Martin John or Alberto Giulatto?

Both are playing regularly at left back in the Spanish and Italian 3rd divisions respectively. Giulatto has Serie A experience, why not call him? Doubt he'd turn it down.

Edited by Keegan

Don't know where I saw it (although almost certainly on these forums or twitter) but apparently Miller said he wouldn't be selecting either Teibert or Bernier because of their V-Cup involvements. Wonder if the same also holds for Tissot and Ouimette, who for me are at least as deserving as Morgan and Henry.

Tissot is injured, he will miss few weeks, but I agree he is at least as deserving as Morgan,I'm not sold on Ouimette.

Considering who Costa Rica called, I think it is fair to call Morgan and Henry along with osario, but bekker does not deserve a call. Yeah he is arguabley the most skilled of the four but he has only played 4 or 5 games this season. I know that Henry and Morgan have also seen limited time but they are established professionals in comparison. I guess another way to see it is that this game gives him a bit of action, but I like to see players earn call ups.

I'm thinking a lot of regulars from europe JUST finished up their seasons...some of those were called, but are out of contract, and are worried about jeopardizing with an injury, perhaps. So this one was destined to be a North American youth call up from the start

Sounds like this is the making of a "lets try out the new guys" type squad. Attakora, Tiebert, the kids on the Impact, maybe Saiko?

I would like to see Tissot back up Morgan (or possibly win the left back spot considering Morgan's lack of form recently). I also think Ouimette has now gained enough pro experience to warrent a look. Both are still periphery players for the Impact so I don't think the Impact will have a problem with both being called. Tiebert on the other hand? Really hope he is called but if he stays put it is a testament to his solid form. Actually, if not getting called allows him to keep his starting place then I would prefer he stays with the caps.

What time is the roster coming out today anyways?

I would like to see Tissot back up Morgan (or possibly win the left back spot considering Morgan's lack of form recently). I also think Ouimette has now gained enough pro experience to warrent a look. Both are still periphery players for the Impact so I don't think the Impact will have a problem with both being called. Tiebert on the other hand? Really hope he is called but if he stays put it is a testament to his solid form. Actually, if not getting called allows him to keep his starting place then I would prefer he stays with the caps.

What time is the roster coming out today anyways?

Tissot's out for 2-3 weeks so forget about him.