Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

As cool as it would be to see Osorio play in Europe, staying with TFC was always most likely in my mind. It's not a bad situation either, as he will play alongside fellow national teamer MAK, possibly Laryea, two Italian (ex-Italian?) Internations in Bernadeschi and Insigne, and an aged (but still effective) Michael Bradley. It's a great core, just a matter of what the supporting cast looks like. Akinola and Rutty look set to stay, but Nelson may be sold (could be a good thing for the NT depending on the destination), Petrasso is already good to Orlando City, Shaffelburg has made the permanent switch to Nashville, etc.

Will be an interesting year for Toronto and Osorio either way.

Oso is one of my favorites and he has gone a long way..but I dont think he is beyond MLS yet.  He has rounded out his game, scores, creates for others, played well as a more defensive role when bradley was injured years back and he has become a real leader on TFC.  But he isnt winning best 11, or getting MVP talk like even a Will Johnson did at his peak.  If he can score something in europe, ie live out his dreams, then I am happy for him.  But getting a million+ a season to be the flag bearer for your hometown team, thats still pretty damn sweet.  Plus selfishly, I would still get to see him every week.HEHE.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Oso is one of my favorites and he has gone a long way..but I dont think he is beyond MLS yet.  He has rounded out his game, scores, creates for others, played well as a more defensive role when bradley was injured years back and he has become a real leader on TFC.  But he isnt winning best 11, or getting MVP talk like even a Will Johnson did at his peak.  If he can score something in europe, ie live out his dreams, then I am happy for him.  But getting a million+ a season to be the flag bearer for your hometown team, thats still pretty damn sweet.  Plus selfishly, I would still get to see him every week.HEHE.  

I would like to see him stay in Toronto but they have already chewed through a lot of cap and still need a top notch keeper.

Edited by BearcatSA

Osorio is a football romantic so he’s probably really tempted by the prospect of being a one club man. On the other hand he may look at someone like Atiba and see that he can have his best years ahead of him elsewhere.

From a Canada perspective I want him to go to Europe. He gets better with age and I think a new level/challenge could unlock something in him and give us our 2026 Atiba.

43 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Osorio is a football romantic so he’s probably really tempted by the prospect of being a one club man. On the other hand he may look at someone like Atiba and see that he can have his best years ahead of him elsewhere.

From a Canada perspective I want him to go to Europe. He gets better with age and I think a new level/challenge could unlock something in him and give us our 2026 Atiba.

Yeah if Osorio were to play in Europe then him going to Turkey or playing in Netherlands in the Eredivisie would actually be ideal

Sounding like it’s going to be Toronto. Osorio has said: not just for the sake of playing in Europe but only if it makes sense to move. Which I take to mean both the right club and as much or more money than Toronto is offering. An offer might have come with a few spectacular World Cup appearances. And the concussion early end to his excellent season I’m sure didn’t help. 

6 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then if he stays in MLS then Osorio should move to another MLS club. I would definitely say he should go to Montréal or Vancouver.

I don’t know if he would go to either club.  Neither seems to have title ambitions and Montreal has the added uncertainty of massive turnover in players and coaching staff for next season.  I think he should opt for Toronto if he remains in MLS…

14 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then if he stays in MLS then Osorio should move to another MLS club. I would definitely say he should go to Montréal or Vancouver.

Why on earth would he do that? He is a much loved home town hero who has developed with the club and is deeply integrated with it. Also, without him the current midfield doesn’t much function… he’s central to Toronto’s play on the pitch. It will probably be a max TAM contract. 

Montreal is a disaster at the moment and Vancouver seems stretching to make it to the point of being just competent. If he goes anywhere it should be to Europe. If in MLS (and he’s shown no interest in that) it should be a top club at top pay. 

TFC makes best sense to me, but maybe he'd like a new challenge somewhere else. Which is to say: come to Vancouver, Osorio!!  Does he come as a DP? Doesn't really make sense for the Caps to do so, but then again, its the Caps.

I'd love to see him play out here, especially if Axel can find us a couple more quality players, especially up top.

9 hours ago, cornerkick said:

I don’t know if he would go to either club.  Neither seems to have title ambitions and Montreal has the added uncertainty of massive turnover in players and coaching staff for next season.  I think he should opt for Toronto if he remains in MLS…

Montreal doesn't have title ambitions because they had a great season and got beat in the playoffs on the counter, dominating. Two matches from the final.

And the Whitecaps don't have title ambitions because they beat TFC in the Voyageurs Cup final and they are the only MLS club currently holder of a title.

Then they get to play for the Concacaf title, which TFC won't.

He's obviously going to stay at TFC, because he makes too much money already and can't get that in Europe. But not because no other Canadian MLS team "seems to have title ambitions".

Here's a title for you:

BS - TFC Relationship Stays Solid, Solid

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Montreal doesn't have title ambitions because they had a great season and got beat in the playoffs on the counter, dominating. Two matches from the final.

And the Whitecaps don't have title ambitions because they beat TFC in the Voyageurs Cup final and they are the only MLS club currently holder of a title.

Then they get to play for the Concacaf title, which TFC won't.

He's obviously going to stay at TFC, because he makes too much money already and can't get that in Europe. But not because no other Canadian MLS team "seems to have title ambitions".

Here's a title for you:

BS - TFC Relationship Stays Solid, Solid

I think we can all agree TFC had a very underwhelming last season, as expected. Dou think Montreal and Vancouver have realistic title ambitions for this upcoming season? I certainly don't. 

At this point TFC seems as likely as either, which was his entire point in that it didn't make sense to move teams (also considering everything else).

Why are you arguing something so blatantly obvious with pedantic rhetoric?

15 minutes ago, kingvikingstad said:

I think we can all agree TFC had a very underwhelming last season, as expected. Dou think Montreal and Vancouver have realistic title ambitions for this upcoming season? I certainly don't. 

At this point TFC seems as likely as either, which was his entire point in that it didn't make sense to move teams (also considering everything else).

Why are you arguing something so blatantly obvious with pedantic rhetoric?

I'm a fan, why should pedantic rhetoric be a problem for me?

Anyways, the TFC rattle and hum deserves it, pretty well always. Arguing that Montreal and Vancouver have no ambition for titles is directly insulting because facts prove otherwise.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

22 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If your premise is correct then we'll only see Oso as our new Atiba in 2030.

He simply is making money he cannot replicate at his age in Europe, it can't happen.

If he really wanted an overseas experience, he likely would have had to drop his salary and partially start over. Makes sense that he felt it made little sense, and less so if he had a new offer from TFC.

He can always take a late career jaunt over to Serie B or something that will let him taste European play, if that is what he feels he is missing.

Osorio is 30 and has played his entire career with Toronto and he's always performed well for the national team. TFC has never hurt his play and he is what he is as a player, so moving to Europe won't positively transform him at this stage. Glad to see him get paid even though it would have been interesting to see how he'd do in Europe.