Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

One of my worries with Osorio is how easily he's been knocked off the ball lately. He's usually good at getting between himself and the ball and drawing fouls to relieve pressure, but these have gone against him this tournament. I think he lost a dual to Reyna during Nations League too. He's typically so reliable, so this concerns me. Perhaps it's down to freshness or needing a break, but it has to get better. 

If it wasn't for that it would pretty much be stock Osorio. Good connector, dependable in posession, great movement, and chips in with goals off late runs. All of those things are still there in his game. Like I said it's just the manner in which he's losing these duals, or calls not going his way (whatever way you want to chalk it up). Against the likes of Sands, Busio and Djordie this could be a problem.

By the way Morris is out - I assume through injury- and Yeuill has been called. He's not the people's choice down there, let's put it that way, but it's yet another MLS midfielder that would walk into our current 11 this tournament. 

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'll just reply here, cause I can't reply to all in one go.  Every comment here is saying "he's still our best option", "was our best, before the injury", "should have had a hat trick", "but was offside".  This is all either past tense or his own mistakes.  Nothing here says he still has quality.  One goal for does not negate 1-2 goals against and a LOT of costly turnovers.  

He's played too many minutes and looks tired, he's not finishing his runs, defensive duties or tracking back enough not to be offside.  Frankly, either his mind is not sharp enough anymore, lost the stamina or is just tired.  Playing him for what he did last year is just silly.  We have defensive mid's and we have offensive mids.  This is just Herdman being too safe, not trying enough of the options and brotherhood mumbo jumbo.  We've seen more hustle and skill from the young guys and Hoilett than we have from Osorio.

This coming from a fan, but gotta call it like it is "today".

Good points but who do we play instead? I thought the 4-4-2 looked way better so we could have ahmed and fraser in the middle. We could have a trio of those guys and hoilett as the 10 or bombito besides fraser. 

However the way I see it is we can only play one of fraser or bombito/loturi for balance. Then ahmed and oso are the only other options in the squad that can play as an "8".  If ahmed goes CM then we play ZBG and laryea as fullbacks. 

So the question basically is would we rather have ZBG, bombito/loturi or oso on the field vs the USA. Oso IMO is 100% a better option than bombito or loturi. ZBG is a debatable question but I think ahmed would be better suited to LB vs CM against the states and even the lower quality of Oso is still probably a better player than ZBG. 

Perhaps this would have been a moment for choiniere. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

One of my worries with Osorio is how easily he's been knocked off the ball lately. He's usually good at getting between himself and the ball and drawing fouls to relieve pressure, but these have gone against him this tournament. I think he lost a dual to Reyna during Nations League too. He's typically so reliable, so this concerns me. Perhaps it's down to freshness or needing a break, but it has to get better. 

If it wasn't for that it would pretty much be stock Osorio. Good connector, dependable in posession, great movement, and chips in with goals off late runs. All of those things are still there in his game. Like I said it's just the manner in which he's losing these duals, or calls not going his way (whatever way you want to chalk it up). Against the likes of Sands, Busio and Djordie this could be a problem.

By the way Morris is out - I assume through injury- and Yeuill has been called. He's not the people's choice down there, let's put it that way, but it's yet another MLS midfielder that would walk into our current 11 this tournament. 

Morris left camp for “personal” reasons. 

1 minute ago, Bigandy said:

Good points but who do we play instead? I thought the 4-4-2 looked way better so we could have ahmed and fraser in the middle. We could have a trio of those guys and hoilett as the 10 or bombito besides fraser. 

However the way I see it is we can only play one of fraser or bombito/loturi for balance. Then ahmed and oso are the only other options in the squad that can play as an "8".  If ahmed goes CM then we play ZBG and laryea as fullbacks. 

So the question basically is would we rather have ZBG, bombito/loturi or oso on the field vs the USA. Oso IMO is 100% a better option than bombito or loturi. ZBG is a debatable question but I think ahmed would be better suited to LB vs CM against the states and even the lower quality of Oso is still probably a better player than ZBG. 

Perhaps this would have been a moment for choiniere. 

I thought the 442 looked better because we were playing Cuba.

That said, though I prefer 3-5-2 normally with Canada, with the players we have here and the fact it takes a bit to really learn 3 at the back as a defender, 4-4-3 (4-5-1 if we are honest) is the way to go.  

19 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I thought the 442 looked better because we were playing Cuba.

That said, though I prefer 3-5-2 normally with Canada, with the players we have here and the fact it takes a bit to really learn 3 at the back as a defender, 4-4-3 (4-5-1 if we are honest) is the way to go.  

Ahmed miller vitoria laryea 
Millar oso fraser hoilett 
Cav  

The last spot is the big issue for me. bombito/ZMG at rcb, Nelson at wing and millar moves up. ZBG in and ahmed into midfield. 

My guess is that a 4-3-3/4-5-1 in unlikely. I bet we go 3-5-2 
Ahmed miller vitoria ZMG laryea 
oso fraser hoilett 
Cav  millar

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I partly jest but clearly the mentality of the players was a detriment to their play for quite a while now.  The idea of a fresh start and brighter days to come may be enough to spark a bit of an early turnaround.  

ya think?  who'd have figured.

34 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

He had his best game in a long time for TFC yesterday. He was everywhere on the field. Hopefully, it was just a health issue and he is back to his regular self

A little suspect defensively still (outmuscled on the Philly goal, a giveaway or two), but yeah, had a very good game offensively.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Didn't watch the TFC v VW game. How did Oso play?

He had little flashes, mostly ineffective, and was stripped a few times of the ball relatively easily. Leading to counters and attacks. He did not show vision, was left alone at times by a team that does not play for each other, and for me was as worrying as the rest of the team. 

He was never really fast but has he lost a step even?

1 minute ago, Free kick said:

IMHO, other than on a few occasions, he has not really stood out this year.   We will have to see next year. If its the same next year, then you gotta start wonder if there is still a place (as a starter) on the NT.

I think we may already be there, honestly. I'd like to see more of Choiniere in particular.