Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Fuck me, you are right. It would seem that he didn't train.

He isn't going to the Wold Cup is he?

😰

seems like he's still DTD. And in football that status isn't feasible. 

Damn, Oso is one of my guys hope he can pull through.

As I am curious about what might have happened, and accepting the ambiguity of a "neurological dysfunction" diagnosis, found this analysis online from a peer-reviewed journal, where RTP is Return to Play:

"The current standard of care is based on the consensus guidelines established at the 3rd International Conference on Concussion in Sport in 2008 when determining RTP (Table 1). The guidelines allow for an initial phase of physical and cognitive rest, with slow reintroduction of physical and cognitive activity in a stepwise fashion, providing the patient remains asymptomatic at each step. There are 6 phases in the protocol starting with complete physical and cognitive rest, then advancing to light aerobic exercise, sport-specific exercise, noncontact training drills, full contact practice, and finally RTP."

The table is here:

Table 1

Graduated return to play protocol established at the 3rd international conference on concussion in sport.

Rehabilitation state Functional exercise at each stage of rehabilitation Objective of each stage
(1) No activity Complete physical and cognitive rest Recovery
(2) Light aerobic exercise Walking, swimming, or stationary cycle keeping intensity <70% MPHR; no resistance training Increase HR
(3) Sport-specific exercise Skating drills in ice hockey, running drills in soccer, no head impact activates Add movement
(4) Non-contact training drills Progression to more complex training drills, for example, passing drills in football and ice hockey, may start progressive resistance training Exercise, coordination, and cognitive load
(5) Full contact practice

Following medical clearance; participate in normal training activates

Restore confidence and assess functional skills by coaching staff
(6) Return to play Normal game play

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3400421/

As I haven't contrasted this, obviously, and it is 10 years old, I take it as an initial non-professional orientation.

Based on this, and considered he started playing again and then stopped abruptly and totally, might we conclude his return was too early, that someone tried to fast-track him (the article speaks of athletes themselves often forcing to get back), and that the diagnosis was not done right or else it was correctly done but was ignored.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

He might have been rushed, he might not have been. Every injury is different. Sometimes a patient can seem recovered, go back to normal, and then sometime later symptoms flare up. This was the case for Sydney Crosby, he was out, then in, then out again when symptoms crept up. You can't crack someone's skull open and examine whether their neurons are functioning properly, and MTBIs do not show up on any kind of scan. To add to the complexity, someone can have a concussion, have a sore head without much problem, live life normally and all of the sudden weeks later start experiencing  symptoms. It's a very complicated injury and medicine has only started to get a grip on it in the last decade or so, in particular that it can be actively rehabbed.

I'm glad Oso seems ready to make a full recovery because it's a distressing thing to live with and can continue indefinitely in some cases. I gotta lol a bit at people who read the neurological dysfunction part as potentially a vaccination thing when we knew for a fact that he had just recently been concussed.

It may not be that he was rushed, concussion symptoms can be absolutely unpredictable.

I had a concussion last year and met all the milestones and went back to work very gradually. Then after working for two weeks full time, I had a recurrence of my symptoms and had to take time off again. I also participated in a study that was researching how unpredictable the symptoms and recurrances are and what triggers them. I think there's way, way too much unknown still about brain injuries and the protocols are an ideal pathway but not everyone's recovery is the same.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

He's good to go.

Thought this was the biggest plus today that he looks so sharp even on the shite pitch &  of course that he's fit. He could an "X" factor because the only European soccer folks who seem to have heard of him are the three Italians now playing for TFC, who only became aware once they arrived in Toronto. Thought he was robbed of an assist to be honest as Cavallini looked onside to me.

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Thought this was the biggest plus today that he looks so sharp even on the shite pitch &  of course that he's fit. He could an "X" factor because the only European soccer folks who seem to have heard of him are the three Italians now playing for TFC, who only became aware once they arrived in Toronto. Thought he was robbed of an assist to be honest as Cavallini looked onside to me.

So happy he's back. Him and Hutch are simply invaluable. Watching Hutch and his no nonsense, crazy accurate one-touch passes a few days ago and now Oso with his flair, skill and timing seemingly as good as ever. This is by far the biggest plus.

1 hour ago, cornerkick said:

saw this earlier...

just stay away from Forest...😏

Fun to see a little bit of English tabloid Oso hype. At first I thought, jesus, why the EFL? But I suppose the answer is: that’s where the money is. It’s his last big contract and he’s got to make as much or more than he would at TFC. 

9 hours ago, ECW said:

Fun to see a little bit of English tabloid Oso hype. At first I thought, jesus, why the EFL? But I suppose the answer is: that’s where the money is. It’s his last big contract and he’s got to make as much or more than he would at TFC. 

True, but at his age and as a non-pacey player, it may not be the right fit.

Anyways for years the Oso to Europe rumours have only been generated by Oso.

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up this morning thinking about Oso. 

A guy from Canada, who has spent every minute of his long pro career playing in Canada, just played in a World Cup game. 

He looked good against the number two team in the world.

Jonathan is truly special, he has done something that not long ago would have been inconceivable to both Canada and TFC fans.

I don’t know how to put into words what I feel. I am moved.

Edited by ensco

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

In Kloke's latest article for the Athletic his pick for next Canada captain is Oso. He's my pick too. Don't know about you guys but I think he'd be perfect in the role. That's also because I don't see him slowing down any time soon, especially if he's on his way to Europe.

Even when fully fit, Osorio is not an automatic selection for any XI. For that reason it would be tough for me to select him as captain.

I'm not sure how much it matters though, or how important it is to always have the same guy with the armband. I can recall Borjan, Hutchinson and Vitoria all wearing the armband in the past few years. The real leaders will make themselves known, captain or not.